Main Menu

Roll Call: Ft. Bragg - Beat the Heat Saturday overnight to the coast.

Started by GreenMachine, July 12, 2018, 04:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

North route departure (see 2018 Group Ride Schedule schedule for) departure point.  6:30 AM KSU.  I'd prefer even earlier than that if I can get away with it, but that's what seems to be the consensus.

It's forecast to be hot here (97°) and mild (65 - 70°) on the coast.  No chance of rain.  The earlier we get there, the more heat we can beat on the central valley portion.  This will be about a minimum 650 mile ride spread out over two days.  Also, the earlier we get there, the more chance we have to ride various other local roadways.

History: Traditionally this is a ride to Fort Bragg for lunch, which usually takes the quickest route there and back, highways 80 & 20.  However, there's always been a few who, once there want to take in a little more, which turns into a run up the coast to Fortuna and coming back on hwy 36.  That, plus the fact that it's going to be an oven riding back through the Central Valley, is enough of a deterrent to try to ride it all in one day.

You will be responsible for your own overnight accommodations.  We've been fortunate in the past, in just winging it and finding a cheap place with decent surrounding amenities.

RSVP** if you're planning on going.   If you do not RSVP, the ride may be canceled even if you had planned on showing up the day of the ride.  We'll depart on the ride as soon as everyone arrives and is ready, meaning, that if there are any newb riders, I will go over some of the key items they'll need to know.

North route ride.  This is a minimum C level ride pace route, so all riders welcome. 

*** Safety is paramount. ***
As always, see 2015 SSA Ride Schedule for everything that is expected of you and what you can expect. 

Hope to see you there.

* KSU dependent on when everybody is ready.
** RSVP - répondez, s'il vous plaît a.k.a. please reply.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Vegasrider

And I'll be heading the other way, towards the heat.  Riding out to Elko tomorrow morning to teach a class.  I have been getting a state vehicle and driving out to Elko in the past but decided to ride out there this time.  Picked a great time huh.  Better post up pics of your trip to the Lost Coast, I mean Ft. Bragg.

GreenMachine

They should pay you double, like hazard pay.

No clear plan as to what excursions we'll take in on this adventure.  For certain though, I'll post pics!
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

A DRAGON

Looking chard to this.  THANKS GREEN MACHINE. Putting this on the schedule is just freak'in awesome.  Everytime we go to the coast l wonder why we don't ride this more often.  I get there and just don't want to leave.  My river is good enough for 1 long weekend trip.
Choices, choices, choices.  Should we do hwy 20 and get 175 in?.  Or hit hwy 1 at Mill Valley?The beginning of the road on the Northern Section.  I guess the best part is going to be Green Machine is buying the Scrimshaw!  Overnight in GARBERVILLE.  Baby is all good.  We are so lucky to have these roads.  I thank my lucky stars every trip. I think of Apollo Cred told Rocky. "It's too bad we gotta get old ugh stallion".  Yes it is.  I can hear the exhaust of my Aprilia now. Rolling on the gas coming out of a turn.  Best music I've ever heard.

Yo G. Looks like I'm getting to bed early tonight.
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

GreenMachine

THAT'S what I'm talking about!  :laughing

Hopland or Bodega.  Bodega or Mill Valley. 

8)

I'll tell you a follow up to last weeks ride before we leave in the morning.

GreenMachine