Main Menu

Discount on new Sena 30K

Started by dub, October 12, 2017, 03:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dub

Anyone interested in getting a pretty good discount on the new Sena 30K?

I've been thinking of getting a Sena for a while, mainly to pipe music in to my helmet via Bluetooth, and a group buy just came up on BARF. The cheapest way to go, per unit cost, is the dual pack. But I'm a lone wolf and only need one. If you are interested in going halfsies and taking the other one, send me a PM.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

dub

Lol, thanks for the warning. Obviously you had some off-puting experience, I would love to hear both sides of that story.
I just went camping/riding with a big group of them at Stonyford a couple weeks ago (while you were riding with GM), great time with a great group of folks. In fact, I've spent much, much more time in real life with people on BARF than I have with you. You could be a scammer, satanist, druggy, felon for all I know.

RedLeader

Quote from: dub on October 12, 2017, 04:37:15 PM
You could be a scammer, satanist, druggy, felon for all I know.

I am for certain, but then again I'm on both forms :)
"Why are motorcycle dealers closed on Sundays? Because Sunday is for worship... Catholics go to church, Motorcyclists go to the track." -Justin Skalka

dub

Quote from: RedLeader on October 12, 2017, 04:43:03 PM

You wanna upgrade that shitty old-ass size-of-a-bring intercom you have or what?

Vegasrider

Wonder what the sound quality compares to my Uclear Pulse Pro speakers.  My Uclear is crystal clear, almost Bose sound quality. 

RedLeader

Quote from: dub on October 12, 2017, 04:46:00 PM
Quote from: RedLeader on October 12, 2017, 04:43:03 PM

You wanna upgrade that shitty old-ass size-of-a-bring intercom you have or what?

I honestly haven't used it in a long time. The chatterbox was more trouble than it was worth. The speakers in the helmet weren't great, and engine noise was very apparent. Also, having my phone connected to and streaming Bluetooth audio into the helmet sucked a lot of battery on the phone and I had a hard time making it though a full day ride without the battery dying. While the Sena might be a lot newer and nicer, I doubt it overcomes most of these issues.
Currently im using a set of cheapish earbuds and a small low power Bluetooth remote that is velcro'd to the triple. This gets me the play/pause, volume and skip back functionality you might want.
"Why are motorcycle dealers closed on Sundays? Because Sunday is for worship... Catholics go to church, Motorcyclists go to the track." -Justin Skalka

dub

Quote from: Vegasrider on October 12, 2017, 05:45:54 PM
Wonder what the sound quality compares to my Uclear Pulse Pro speakers.  My Uclear is crystal clear, almost Bose sound quality. 

I dunno about Uclear; I only ever hear people talk about Sena. But a system with better audio quality would be preferable since I don't really care about the communication part anyway. I'll have to do some research, thanks for the input.

Quote from: RedLeader on October 12, 2017, 06:45:27 PMI honestly haven't used it in a long time. The chatterbox was more trouble than it was worth. The speakers in the helmet weren't great, and engine noise was very apparent. Also, having my phone connected to and streaming Bluetooth audio into the helmet sucked a lot of battery on the phone and I had a hard time making it though a full day ride without the battery dying. While the Sena might be a lot newer and nicer, I doubt it overcomes most of these issues.
Currently im using a set of cheapish earbuds and a small low power Bluetooth remote that is velcro'd to the triple. This gets me the play/pause, volume and skip back functionality you might want.

From what I hear they are still pretty much more trouble than they are worth. I read things all the time about guys fucking around with them for 20 minutes before a ride trying to get them to all connect then just giving up.
Duh the phone battery isn't going to last all day, you get one of these for 11 bucks and charg 'er up; plugs right into your battery tender pig tail.
I use earbuds sometimes, not ideal. Having the speakers just be there when I put my helmet on is appealing. Also it would be nice to be able to answer the phone and respond to texts via dictation. I already have the phone mounted to the bars, so I don't need a bluetooth remote.

RichVee4

I really like my sena, cant remember the model off the top of my head.  Certainly wouldnt enjoy riding as much without it.  Having tunes really helps pass the time, plus if you pair it with someone else really nice being able to communicate on the go.  I see more dirt riders using them these days,  havent tried that yet.   Battery lasts about 8 hrs. 
Live long and prosper \V/

RedLeader

Quote from: dub on October 12, 2017, 09:47:30 PM
I use earbuds sometimes, not ideal. Having the speakers just be there when I put my helmet on is appealing. Also it would be nice to be able to answer the phone and respond to texts via dictation. I already have the phone mounted to the bars, so I don't need a bluetooth remote.

With mine, the speakers kind of pushed on my ears a little and hurt... not enough room in the little ear-wells in the helmet. Also, like mentioned the sound wasn't good, even when I fit my own higher quality head phones in the helmet. The engine and road noise drown out a lot of the music.

As others have menionted, Id rather not have to answer my phone when driving. Ill just return the call when I stop.

Vegasrider

Quote from: dub on October 12, 2017, 09:47:30 PM
Quote from: Vegasrider on October 12, 2017, 05:45:54 PM

I dunno about Uclear; I only ever hear people talk about Sena. But a system with better audio quality would be preferable since I don't really care about the communication part anyway. I'll have to do some research, thanks for the input.

These speakers are also loud, meaning that you won't have a problem hearing the music at freeway speeds. 

https://www.ucleardigital.com/shop/helmet-audio/powersports/pulse-pro-helmet-speakers/

dub

Quote from: Vegasrider on October 14, 2017, 04:28:35 PMThese speakers are also loud, meaning that you won't have a problem hearing the music at freeway speeds. 

https://www.ucleardigital.com/shop/helmet-audio/powersports/pulse-pro-helmet-speakers/

Yeah, I have heard some people complain that their Sena speakers aren't loud enough. Apparently it's important that you get the speakers placed just right inside your helmet.
It looks like the group buy deal ends today (quick timeline!), so I'm probably not going to buy one pending further research. Thanks for putting Uclear on my radar as another option. I plan to get a new street helmet this winter and install whatever bluetooth system I choose in there, so no rush anyway.

GreenMachine

Looking at helmets myself.  I purchase them in pairs if they're a good deal and I like the colors.  Not many as bright as the ones I have though.

I have another new one that I don't use that often.  I suppose I should rotate it into the mix.  It's suppose to be my hot weather helmet, b/c it has a lot of white surface area.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

eskiemong

I buy a pair of Koss headsets, separate the speakers and solder&replace the Sena speakers.  Audio quality is much better, and volume is at least twice louder.

https://www.amazon.com/Koss-Porta-Pro-KTC-Headphone/dp/B006QR8W6K

Vegasrider

Not sure about the other brands, but I know U-clear also sells refurbished units if you call them directly.  Could save you some money.  But I would go new with the speakers.  Speaking of helmets, I will replace mine every 2-3 years.  That's about the lifespan I'll get considering I wear it just about everyday.  Thinking about getting an Arai for the first time.  Shoei no longer offers a 50% discount for rider coaches, but Arai does.

dub

I just bought this today. It's not as feature rich as some other offerings out there, but I thought $100 was a pretty good value for a Bluetooth speaker set-up, especially since I'm mostly concerned with streaming audio from my phone, and not so much with the two-way communication. https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/840/73702/UCLEAR%C2%AE-AMP-Go-Bluetooth-Helmet-Audio-System?s=1361078
Thanks again Vegasrider for putting Uclear on my radar, I didn't even know about that company before this thread.
The AMP Go comes with the Boost Plus speakers rather than the Pulse Pro speakers you recommended. But I can always upgrade later if need be.