Main Menu

Frame Slider Mods

Started by Dbone_2259, July 11, 2008, 03:17:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dbone_2259

Hey I'm looking to see if anyone has a tried and true way to make the fairing modifications to install Frame sliders. I think the sliders that need modification are structurally superior to "no-cut" but not sure. Can anyone shine some light on the subject?

MotoPutz

Hole drill. measure twice, cut once.  I've done it a number of times.

weavefish

i can tell you that my "cut" frame sliders did there job.  dont know about the "no cuts"   but putz is right on
It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens. - Woody Allen

Timex

Never had a problem with the "no-cut" frame sliders.  But some models are better than others.  If it needs a long extension piece for a "no-cut" you may want to stick with drilling.

Dbone_2259

Timex, what brand of no cut have you used?   

PuTZ, What kind of tool did you use to make your hole after you measured?

Adiggity

I've only used the ones that you have to cut the plastics and like Putz said, use a hole saw. Measure twice, cut once. If you haven't bought them yet, call More Power Racing. Tell them Andy from Code 4 Racing sent you. They'll hook you up and they have great service. 888-438-3939  ;D

If you have any problems, let me know.

Timex

I honestly can't remember.  But like I said, make sure you look at the extension piece.  If it seems like a long piece, go with the drill.  For added protection, put masking tape over the cut area and be very sure about your measurements.  Kind of a one shot deal.  Don't forget the Locktite!

MotoPutz

Hole Saw
Hole Saw Arbor

I think I have a 2" but I'm not sure. I can tell you when I get home. the holder has a center drill. Measue to the center of where the slider will come thru. then just drill.

yzinger

I have no cut. worked great until I layed it down, then they just snapped like a twig. friend has no cut also, and almost fully ground down during a crash and completly saved the bike. according to SPL, it is all about the crash. no cut or cut, doesnt make much of a difference. they said where the difference shows is the brand/quality of the slider.

2wcp

The only "No-Cut" Sliders I've had experience with that held up were Intuitive products. You also have to be careful on the cut ones, because some of the brands use an inferior bolt and the bolt will bend even with an easy drop. If you need somebody to cut them for you, I can do it. I can show you come of the work that I've done before.
2 Wheel Custom Performance
2536 Sutro St Suite 12
Reno, NV 89512
775-303-1857
steve@2wcp.com
www.2wcp.com
Tues-Fri 10a-6p
Sat 10a-5p

Justin

motovation sliders come with a template you drape over the bikes plastics. tape it down, and pierce it right in the center.  Take the hole saw and seat the center bit in the new hole.  Squeeze trigger.  That's it. 
I just used a dremel and ground down the plastic. (use the hole saw if you are anal)

MotoPutz

Quote from: Justino on July 12, 2008, 03:16:26 AM
(use the hole saw if you are anal)

What are you trying to say, just cause I like a perfectly round hole...  ::)

JENX!!!

Ive used the "no cut" ones a couple of times and they DO work. ;D
Hi my name is jenx and im a track junky.....

Justin

Quote from: Putz on July 13, 2008, 12:21:06 AM
Quote from: Justino on July 12, 2008, 03:16:26 AM
(use the hole saw if you are anal)

What are you trying to say, just cause I like a perfectly round hole...  ::)
I have just about enough of you, Mister.
I prefer hexagonal to round, anyway

A DRAGON

Yeah the Dremel worked best for me I could really get it right. Much safer to dril a small hole first and make it bigger. Than to drill the Big hole and hope it's right.  I've only done one in my life. It turned out perfect.   I would really be afraid to only have 1 big hole to get it right once.  :'(
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750