Main Menu

Beating the heat

Started by GreenMachine, July 06, 2011, 07:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

I mentioned this to Scott last evening about using a high velocity fan to cool the house.  It's not a new concept, but I'll mention how I use the fan to draw air out of my house.  I do it the same way a whole house fan works.  Place the fan in the highest window in your living quarters, preferably away from where you will be 'living' (due to noise from the fan) and one that is large enough to accommodate the volume of air the fan can move and face it outward to draw the hot internal air out. Most people think in reverse and point the fan inward, which is not how a whole house fan works.

Open a window(s) at other locations, preferably where you will be 'living,' where the cool air will be drawn in and enough window area to accommodate the volume of air being drawn out.  Turn the fan on and feel how quickly the area you are in cools down. Best accomplished when outside air temperature is below inside air temperature, like at night and early morning before 8:00 AM.  Ceiling fans work wonderfully in conjunction with this method as they'll help stir the air and make the room feel cooler still.

Adjust open windows for cooling as you move to other permanent areas for maximum benefit.  You'll figure it out.  Just be aware that open windows present a potential burglar/home invasion danger.  Be smart and safe.

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.