Main Menu

Converting the CBR to a track bike.

Started by Justin, June 16, 2008, 07:41:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin

Which race plastics should I use.  What do i need to do?   Do I need the top $$ one's? What's the advantage?
I want something that I can patch, or replace with spending too much. Do I need a fairing stay, or is there something OEM to mount to.
I'm converting my 2007 CBR 600rr.
Sharkskinz? Hotbodies? Cheaper?

Adiggity

The cheap plastics are usually a B-I- itch to put on. Nothing lines up the way it should and also don't usually crash as well as the good ones. I have had Sharkskinz and GP Composites. Both crash good and fit well. Heard bad things on how Hotbodies fit and the "quality" of the glass isn't as good. Maybe they've gotten better since then, this was a couple years ago. You can use your stock fairing stay. When I buy another set, I am going to try these guys. They were at Infineon advertising their stuff. Looks to be good stuff and Jesse aid they fit perfect. Not as pricey as the Sharkskinz or GP Composites. Talk to him and tell him Andy from Code 4 sent you.
http://factorybodyworks.com/

Oneup

I am using the cheap plastics right now and Andy is right.  They suck to put on and drill.  Before I had sharkskins and if I had to do it again I would pay the money for them(almost three times the amount).  I have also heard bad things about Hot Bodies.  I am currently using Formula 1 composites.  As far as fairing stays go nobody makes them for a 07 600rr.  You have to stick with the stock one and stock ram air tube.  They are expensive but if you look on Barf you can you can find them for a reasonable price.  DO NOT USE EBAY FOR STOCK PARTS.  Most Ebay sellers mark the price up to more than dealers charge.  If you cannot find oem parts let me know cause I get a good price from a Honda dealer(not in this state).

Formula 1 Composite  $350 with shipping
Sharkskins                  $800 without shipping
02 KX250, 04 GSXR1000, 07 CBR600rr

Justin

Quote from: oneup on June 16, 2008, 06:34:24 PM
As far as fairing stays go nobody makes them for a 07 600rr.  You have to stick with the stock one and stock ram air tube.  They are expensive but if you look on Barf you can you can find them for a reasonable price. 
I don't think i need to replace anything except the brake lever.   My headlights and upper fairing are intact. Mirrors are fine, grips , bars and foot controls are good also.  I tore out the bar end slider (Note to self. . . the longer the bar end slider is, the more leverage you have to remove it) The Right side blinker/running light has torn off.  When it broke it took the surrounding fairing plastic along with it.  If I had switched to flush mounts, my fairing would only be scuffed up. (Another note. . .don't wait to switch to flush mounts)  Maybe I'll load the bike in the truck and bring it to bike night, and you can let me know what i'm in store for.

Oneup

I will be there tomorrow.  Bring it by.

Resistor

Hey Justin, when did you go down?  I take it you're okay, right?
2005 GSXR-600

Justin

yes I'm fine.  Thanks for asking, though!  Crashed yesterday on a windy mountain road in truckee.  I had to put the bike down or ride it down a mountain.  Instead it was just me going down the mountain.  It was totally avoidable, if i believed that I actually could make that turn.  I broke my own rule... Know your bike can stick it even when you don't think it can.  Me and the bike are ok, enough  I'll bring it to bike night, if I can.

Team Gorgonzola

Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
-Hunter S. Thompson-

MotoPutz

I use this site alot, they have good prices from what I can tell, and they ship pretty fast. Its my former friend's father's business in New York.

http://discounthondaparts.com

n10sive

Quote from: Justino on June 16, 2008, 11:27:20 PM
yes I'm fine.  Thanks for asking, though!  Crashed yesterday on a windy mountain road in truckee.  I had to put the bike down or ride it down a mountain.  Instead it was just me going down the mountain.  It was totally avoidable, if i believed that I actually could make that turn.  I broke my own rule... Know your bike can stick it even when you don't think it can.  Me and the bike are ok, enough  I'll bring it to bike night, if I can.

Sorry to hear about your incident Justino. :( Glad your OK!
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

Dandelion

Quote from: n10sive on June 17, 2008, 09:52:24 AM
Sorry to hear about your incident Justino. :( Glad your OK!
+1 glad you're okay

MotoPutz

Maybe if it wouldn't have happened if you would have paid the $20 to get your suspenion set up instead of trying to do it yourself...    :P :-* ;D

Justin

Yeah, i just twist and twist until it locks out.
Then I twist the other screw the other way (ALL the way)
I heard that's what Spies does on his street bike.

Oneup

Justin, I was working on my bike earlier today and realized that for the track body work you need to get mirror block off plates.  The mirror mounts on your bike are also mounts for the bodywork.  If you order them through one of the local dealers you can usually get them in a day or two.

Adiggity

Quote from: oneup on July 02, 2008, 09:18:53 PM
Justin, I was working on my bike earlier today and realized that for the track body work you need to get mirror block off plates.  The mirror mounts on your bike are also mounts for the bodywork.  If you order them through one of the local dealers you can usually get them in a day or two.

I just used one of the holes and put a dzus fastener on it...