Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

trackday tires

Started by dmh2000, February 01, 2010, 06:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmh2000

I'm a slow-to-medium (but improving:) trackday rider. I am going to get fresh tires for my CBR600rr for the upcoming season. My question is how long could I expect DOT race mediums to last. My Michelin 2CT street tires lasted all season last year. Obviously they slow me down, but I don't want to be buying new tires every other trackday. If I can get tires that last maybe 6 trackdays I would go DOT race. Otherwise I'll just get street tires.  I am reading that the new Dunlop Sportmax Q2 street tires are nearly as good as DOT race tires but last longer. Plus I ride my bike on the street so I don't want to eat pavement because the DOT race tires won't heat up.

suggestions?

dave

Oneup

With your current pace you should be able to six or more days out of a set of DOT's.  Once you start getting up to a faster A pace you life drops off significantly.  I know Michelins tend to last longer but tires are a personal choice.  I currently get 3-5 days out of a set depending on how hard I ride and compound/weather selection. 

Just plan on tires becoming more of an issue as you get faster.
02 KX250, 04 GSXR1000, 07 CBR600rr

youngster775

I personally like michelin power race medium....  seem to be getting longevity out of them, but then again I'm not fast either.. :'(
2006 R1-50th,2004 R6 trackbike,2005 GSXR-600,2001 ZX6 trackbike,2005 YZ-250F

zipbyu

If ct2 lasted all year, you are not needing more grip.  I saw you at most if not all trackday with the ssa.  Did you do more?  
    If you want better tires for confidence I understand.  I feel you should go to better tires if you slide them a lot.  Why waste the money.  Dot race tires wear out fast even if your not going fast.  Also, if your on a streetbike which I think you are, you will heat cycle them out fast.  Not that it makes a whole lot of difference at your level, but it is wasted.
    Or...... just go buy some and see for yourself, you will love them.  Just hurts to buy them.

Oneup

This might be something for you to try out.
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/544/5618/Motorcycle-Article/Pirelli-Diablo-Superbike-PRO-Slick-Tire-Peek.aspx

A trackday tire for non racers that lasts longer.  Seems like a good idea.
02 KX250, 04 GSXR1000, 07 CBR600rr

zipbyu

I cant find any for sale on-line yet, are they in the US yet?

2wcp

Pirelli came out with 2 new tires this year, for track/street use. Take a look at them.
2 Wheel Custom Performance
2536 Sutro St Suite 12
Reno, NV 89512
775-303-1857
steve@2wcp.com
www.2wcp.com
Tues-Fri 10a-6p
Sat 10a-5p

TWF

Yea, there is new dragon track tire out. We tested one last sunday and it works great. Right around $300 set I believe.