Main Menu

drz400 blinkers or non blinkers

Started by krashNbrn, October 19, 2009, 12:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krashNbrn

I'm having to retest for my "M" (long story, moving on) A friend of mine has allowed me to use his 02 drz400. The bike has issues with the left side blinkers, the back one is out and the front one is on steady (no blink). I picked up the bike last night and I have not even looked at it, so I'm just asking to get some good ideas on where to start. I did pull the rear bulb and it "looks" ok. The horn, also, does not work; most likely just the unit. I noticed it backfires when coming off the throttle at med to high rpm's, is this normal for this type of bike? Not sure what the tester will think about my short azz having to hold the bike up with me toes.... ;)

MotoPutz

Just cause it looks ok doesn't mean the bulb is ok. You need to check the resistance in the bulb with an ohm meter. Some systems with make the other bulb stop blinking as a kind of signal you have a bulb out. The back firing can be due to a aftermarket exhaust system or maybe just running to rich. Maybe a worn out spark plug not burning all the fuel in the cylinder. The horn issue could be the horn itself of maybe the button. Need to check for voltage at the horn when the button is pushed.

cobra23

90 Percent of backfirng in my experiance is the exahust system having a small leak somewhere, which sucks a small amount of air into the system causing unburnt fuel to ignite on deceleration.

Putz has the correct answer as well, but check all the clamps first, the simple stuff. I am no electrical guy, so no can help there with the electrical resistance ohmmige deelee.

Good luck.

n10sive

BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike