Main Menu

Chain Lube Question . . .

Started by JetFueler, August 12, 2009, 12:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JetFueler

I need to know what is the best brand of chain lube to use that wont fly all over my rear wheel.
I was told there's a 'wax' type of chain lube that you spray on after cleaning the chain and you wait for 15-30 minutes and then ride? 

Sounds good.  Any information is greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Scott
And God will cause me to ride upon the high places of the earth.  (Isaiah 58:14)

n10sive

go for a ride. While the chain is still warm, lube it, then let it sit for the night. Next morning just wipe it down real fast before you take off.
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

2wcp

Maxima "Chain Wax" is what your looking for. I have it in stock. Sticks very well to the chain as long as you don't put excessive amounts on.
2 Wheel Custom Performance
2536 Sutro St Suite 12
Reno, NV 89512
775-303-1857
steve@2wcp.com
www.2wcp.com
Tues-Fri 10a-6p
Sat 10a-5p

MotoPutz

I use maxima chain wax and its great stuff

jlavallee

I used to use the Maxima stuff when it first came out but was not impressed with it. Here I am sure it would be fine but when I lived on the coast by the Atlantic, chains with the Maxima would surface rust like crazy. The best I have found is Bel Ray Super Clean chain lube as it was the only thing that gave decent surface protection. The regular Bel Ray is messy but the Super Clean works really well and goes on with a noticable white coating over the chain. I usually do the kerosene and toothbrush cleaning when it gets real dirty and then the Super Clean.

Any bike shop can get it for you but Mach 2 here in Fernley should have some in stock as they usually get a few cans in for the shelf when I ask for one.

cobra23

I have used the Bel Ray for years, good stuff. Whatever brand you use you want to make sure you get the chain "Hot" prior to lubing it. Clean it real good, then go out on the interstate run the bike up to 80 mph for 15 minutes, then pull off and lube it.

O-ring chains need very little lube.

JetFueler

Thanks for the tips.  I knew about the heating and cleaning it.  Just had to ask about the best wax.
I will definately go do it.  Appreciate the help.   ;D
And God will cause me to ride upon the high places of the earth.  (Isaiah 58:14)

Justin

Call me crazy, but I lubricate my chain every 200 miles.
An ounce of prevention. . .

JetFueler

Not crazy but a man of wisdom.  I change the oil in all my vehicles including bikes if the oil turns mid to dark brown, out it goes!  Cheaper than repairs.

oldBolt

Lowes carries this. 

DuPont Teflon
Dry Film Lubricant

Item #: 213197       Model: D00110101

works well and is inexspensive.
"I have inhaled, exhaled everything." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

cburow

I personally like the Repsol stuff! I was using the bel ray super clean for years until I was given a sample of the resol lube and I liked it so much more thats all I use now.

Oversquared

Every couple of hundred miles here also, but with Tri-Flow.

Adiggity

I use the Motul chain cleaner and lube. It is great stuff too. I personally didn't like the wax, but maybe I was just using too much of it.....too hard to clean I thought. The straight lube seems less messy.

Like n10sive said, I just wipe it down after lubrication and never had a problem with it spraying on my wheel.

Wilde Racing

I like the Honda stuff. been using it for years on my dirt bikes.

Here is how not to clean a chain.......

Dont know if you guys have seen this or not......
***Graphic Images of Hand Injury***
http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242261
***Graphic Images of Hand Injury***
05 CBR 1000rr

MotoPutz

Quote from: Wilde Racing on November 16, 2009, 10:44:05 PM
I like the Honda stuff. been using it for years on my dirt bikes.

Here is how not to clean a chain.......

Dont know if you guys have seen this or not......

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242261

WOW...