Main Menu

Sat 9/24, 3-passes/Yosemite/mariposa little dragon loop

Started by dub, August 29, 2016, 08:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dub

Jerome and I had such a great time on this ride last year that we are doing it again on Saturday September 24th.

It's a long day in the saddle, but you are rewarded with great roads, great views, and great company.

Meet is 8am at Maverik in Minden, lunch is at Sonora Thai Cuisine. We wont spend a ton of time in the park since there is a lot of ground to cover, just a lazy loop through the valley, a scenic rest stop and onward to the little dragon.

Here's the thread from last year: http://www.sierrasportbike.com/smf/index.php?topic=4467.0

Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

Sounds cool.  The days will be getting short by then, but I know you have a good pace.  I'm in!
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

Quote from: GreenMachine on August 29, 2016, 09:48:29 PM
Sounds cool.  The days will be getting short by then, but I know you have a good pace.  I'm in!

If I remember correctly, last year we made it about Markleeville or maybe Woodfords at dusk. I made it to my house in Gville while there was still some twilight, Jerome probably slabbed it home to Reno in the dark.

A DRAGON

AS A MATTER OF FACT I DID GET HOME AFTER DARK.  I WAS SO BEAT. BUT IT WAS WELL WORTH THE LATE  RIDE. DUB DID AM OUTSTANDING JOB PUTTING TOGETHER AWSOME ROUTE .  EVEN HAPPIER IS ON THE SCHEDULE

JUST AN FYI I TOOK MY KIDS TO YOSEMITE THIS PAST WEEKEND. DROVE THE YUKON. THEY REALLY DUG IT. THANKS DUB FOR TAKING ME LAST YEAR. THIS RIDE IS A MUST JUST LIFE THE COAST.  IT'S SO CLOSE TO US SHAME ON US FOR NOT GOING SOONER. PLUS THE ENTRANCE FEE IS FREE.  $30.00 FOR A CAR.  IT'S JUST A NO BRAINER.ANOTHER SPOT THE EAST COAST GUYS DON'T HAVE.

I'M IN! !!!
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

dub

The aspens are starting to turn. 108 and 4 will be beautiful next weekend.

GreenMachine

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

Just a heads up.  I'm probably going to split from this ride around Coulterville/hwy 132, maybe later depending.  If later, it'll be so I can take in more riding with y'all, but hwy 132 is where I could turn off and head over to visit my brother.

Sub-Sonic

Quote from: GreenMachine on September 20, 2016, 01:40:17 PM
Just a heads up.  I'm probably going to split from this ride around Coulterville/hwy 132, maybe later depending. 

I live about 10 miles down 132 from there, too bad I am busy this weekend, or would join you guys for a bit.

Should be clear sailing, as there is only one chp around 132, a chick, that I always wave to, going by.

If you guys take 120 around grove-land, that chp guy from the puke forum works up there.  Dub will know who it is: user name on puke;  _e_. Saw him a couple weeks ago, had 3 adventure tourer bikes pulled over handing out yosemite 'souvenirs.'

Sub-Sonic

What time do you guys think you will be passing through Coulterville?

I have something in the morning- to early afternoon, so might be able to pick this up for a bit?  Have to take an early flight on sunday to Indianapolis for work on Monday, so couldn't go too far...

GreenMachine

I'd imagine we'd stop for lunch in Curry Village, Yosemite about 1:00 PM, leave there about 2:00 PM, so we'd be in your neck of the woods around 3:00 PM.  Dub keeps a tight schedule and I know he will want to get over hwy 4 before dark.  See PM for more on how we can hookup.

I was cited on the old steep road going up to Groveland.  It looks like our route takes us over the longer, more windy truck route.  Will we be fairly safe on that route or does the lady loop over both roads?

Sub-Sonic

Out of yosemite, south on 120, that one guy likes to sit at the end of a long straight section and shoot lidar.  It's about 20 miles south of yosemite, before grove-land.

The truck route, should have less traffic going down hill as seen here

Also, they can sit on steep section (old priest grade) and see the traffic on the truck route (looking across the canyon).  If you know where to look, you can take a peek over to your left and check for them.

I should definitely be home by 3, not sure if enough time to go out riding.  You guys are welcome to stop by for a break, water, etc.  I will send you the address.

GreenMachine

dub

Quote from: GreenMachine on September 21, 2016, 10:14:38 PMI'd imagine we'd stop for lunch in Curry Village

It may be called Curry Village, but there is no good Thai food there.

Quote from: dub on August 29, 2016, 08:38:37 PMlunch is at Sonora Thai Cuisine.

GreenMachine

:|)  Missed that part.

Thanks for putting this ride together.  Looking forward to it.  See y'all in the morning, bright and early.

It's gonna be cold tomorrow morning, 38* for the low in Minden.  Good thing Dragon actually rides faster when it's cold.   ;)   We should make good time.  Although, Monitor that early in the morning has me concerned a little, with deer; the Sun coming up later.  Maybe I'll sweep on that section.  :evil1

GreenMachine

Quote from: A DRAGON on August 31, 2016, 12:00:50 AM
...I'M IN! !!! [/b]
I'll be very surprised is Dragon shows up.  Haven't heard back from him on any text msgs or PMs. 

I'll be leaving from my house about 7:00 AM.  Temps will dictate pace.  I checked the forecast for this weekend in Cali.  mid-90s expected, so we're going to roast by lunch time, which will feel nice after freezing in the morning.