Main Menu

Your Take On Goat Roads

Started by Mel, August 12, 2013, 11:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mel

Hey guys,

I figured I would create a thread here :)! I'm just curious on your opinion of goat roads. Do you like them and why, or do you not like them and why?

I guess I'll start it off. I like all types of roads, smooth and fast, tight and bumpy, and everything in between. I can run them all at a pretty decent pace, but will admit that I have a fondness for the goat roads. There are several reasons that I will list.

-The speeds are down, but 60mph down a narrow, bumpy road with trees and/or cliffs on both sides is more of an adrenalin rush to me than triple digits on a wide smooth fast road.

-Hardly any traffic and on some roads none :).

-Pretty much no law enforcement at all.

-They are a horsepower equalizer and the liter bikes hold no advantage if you are on a smaller displacement bike, especially down hill 8)!

-I like the extra focus required, as goat roads demand your full attention when riding at a spirited pace, much more so than on the fast smooth roads.

I could probably come up with a couple more reasons, but that should give you an idea on why I like the goats.

Let's hear your take on the goats now.

Mel

dub

Agreed, those are all really good reasons.

They can also take you to some pretty cool places; like Mattole Rd from Ferndale to the Lost Coast.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

nvgixxer

Needless to say, to each his own, but for me personally, goat roads are pretty much out. Especially when you throw a leg over a big ol boat like mine! Doing Ebbetts Pass is as "goaty" as I feel somewhat comfortable with. Roads like Monitor Pass, Sonora Pass, VC truck route and Sierraville/Downieville are more to my liking. Yikes, besides, all that rattling and jarring around loosens fasteners and bolts, not to mention my old bones! Now if I were about 50 years younger, look out!!  ;D   
2015 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2012 Kawasaki ZX14R (sold)
2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2007 Suzuki GSXR1000 (totaled)
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2003 Suzuki GSXR1000 (sold)

RichVee4

Good topic Mel.   I have been on MRR, Ebbets pass, Lost Coast  so that is about extent of my experience on goat roads.   I have only done these roads once for a reason.

In most cases the road was poorly maintained so pace was much slower, trying to avoid pot holes mostly.   If I had an adventurer tourer maybe.  On the street bike way to bumpy.   4 hrs on the Lost Coast and I though my suspension was going to be toast.

Roads with no yellow center line (Ebbets pass)  the only line I focus on is the FAR right, hoping to not get run over by a RV.   To stressful for me to fully enjoy the ride. 

That is my take, but I ride with my wife a lot to so try to make it as enjoyable/safe as possible.
Live long and prosper \V/

RichVee4

Goat roads can lead to some pretty awesome places.  this is the Lost Coast rd near 101.
Live long and prosper \V/

288RR

I would say i prefer smooth fast paved roads,  and some rodes that are a little bit older.  But as far as goat roads i try to stay off of them.  And if I do end up on one,  i take it easy.

Tahoebrian5

I like em all but in the correct doses
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

RenoRider75

I like all roads except for the ones with sand, gravel, tar snakes, painted lines, or traffic.   :squidly

Mel

RenoRider75,

I can show you some goat roads that meet those specs ;)!

Mel

GreenMachine

Well I gave them another college-try and nearly paid a price for it.

I'll leave those death defying roads to you experts.

For us novice riders, I'm going back to the more familiar roads NVgixxer and I like.  Now that's my kind of fun!

:2cool
:crazy
:thumbup
:clap
:GrnWheelie
:disco
:grnbike :blackbike
:banana2

Where's the motorcycle b*ner emoticon?  That's the only one missing.   :evil1
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.