Main Menu

What Road Is This?

Started by Mel, September 21, 2012, 11:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mel

Hey guys,

Who knows what road this is? I've been exploring all the roads up in the Sierras, especially the lesser traveled ones off the beaten path. I found this little gem of a goat road that was absolutely clean with zero gravel or dirt for 12-13 miles  :afro. That bridge is definately one lane  :)!

GreenMachine

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Mel

Yes, this is a trivia quiz GM  :).

Mel

Tahoebrian5

I think I've been on that. It's near placerville right? Can't remember the name though
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

Mel

Tahoebrian5,

You're close enough, that is Mosquito Rd (not Mosquito Ridge Rd) that drops down into Placerville. Going south from Georgetown on 193 about 10 miles or so you turn off on Rock Creek Rd and take that up to the top of the mountain and turn right on Mosquito Rd and back down the mountain. It's a cool loop for sure  8)!

Mel

Tahoebrian5

That's funny, I was gonna say mesquito but assumed I was confusing it with MRR. Yep, I've been there!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

GreenMachine

Gonna rename you 'Goat Road Mel' from now on.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

288RR

Mel

While we're on the topic of goat roads, rode a couple more fun ones today off of 80 near Colfax. The first one is GM Rd :) which is off of Magra, a frontage road along the south side of 80. I see it won't let me spell out the name because it is GM's name  :D. It's a dead end that is 2 miles out and 2 miles back, but a fun ride! The next one is at the end of Magra as it crosses 80 and turns into Rollins Lake Rd. As soon as you go over 80, you turn left on Norton Grade Rd and it's 4 miles of bliss down into Colfax 8). You are banked left and right almost continuously down the mountain :thumbup.

The nice thing about goat roads is that you never need radar and almost zero traffic, and if you're riding at a spirited pace, you gotta be on your game and able to read road conditions in a heartbeat. Also, the ultra quick liter bikes hold no advantage on a goat road  ;).

Mel