Main Menu

First Ride

Started by Rooster, April 23, 2010, 12:32:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rooster

I did my first ever dirt ride last weekend.  My first time on a dirt bike, actually.   Well I don't know if I'd call it a dirt bike.  :P

Its a 1971 (we think)  Suzuki 2-stroke enduro of unknown displacement  :D  I was told its a 185.  The gas tank is off of another bike of unknown year/displacement because the one that was on it (also not the original tank)  was plastic and cracked.   Front fender came off of an older KTM, I believe. 

I followed a friend along the pony express trail from Fallon to Silver springs.  Needless to say his XR400 had a little more get-up-n-go.  I had a blast and only really wrecked it twice, although i did knock the kick-starter off >.<  Lost the screw somewhere along the road.  On top of that The adjustment screw on the clutch lever was so rusted it was unusable and was set so I couldn't disengage the clutch completely.  Also fouled the spark plug, and broke the bracket that holds the seat down (check out the bungie cord)!.  Gotta love the old bikes  ;)  But after a short stint on the xr400 I'm aching (literally thanks to the ancient dual-sports fantastic suspension) for something a few decades newer.

MotoPutz

bawhahaha, thats awesome!!

n10sive

That Suzuki 185 was a GREAT bike. I used to ride one all the time in the 70's.
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

Rooster

Quote from: n10sive on April 23, 2010, 10:15:02 AM

So it really is a 185!  I'm sure yours was in a little better shape.  We had to cut this on out of the brush that had grown through it in the back yard!  :D
A friend bought it at a yard sale years ago and parked it 'cause it didn't run right.  all we did was tighten up the jets and spray the carb down with some carburetor cleaner.  A new spark plug and viola!  It lives!

youngster775

Quote from: Rooster on April 23, 2010, 10:37:37 AM
Quote from: n10sive on April 23, 2010, 10:15:02 AM

So it really is a 185!  I'm sure yours was in a little better shape.  We had to cut this on out of the brush that had grown through it in the back yard!  :D
A friend bought it at a yard sale years ago and parked it 'cause it didn't run right.  all we did was tighten up the jets and spray the carb down with some carburetor cleaner.  A new spark plug and viola!  It lives!
I missed the " It's a suzuki 185" and all I caught was "I USED TO RIDE ONE IN THE 70'S" geez, the 70's? really? WOW... ;D ;D
2006 R1-50th,2004 R6 trackbike,2005 GSXR-600,2001 ZX6 trackbike,2005 YZ-250F

n10sive

yes...the 70's :( Watch that movie "On Any Sunday". I was there then LOL

My first bike was a 72 Penton 125 with a Sachs engine in it like this one (but Red)

and my second bike was a 74 Yamaha 360 Enduro

youngster775

how classic! It's cool to know that people were riding motorbikes before I was born LOL  ;D
those bike must be worth alot now-a-days...

n10sive

If you have never seen that movie...DO! You'll love it. Old school dirt, road race and endurance.

here are some clips:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qODJEH1JhE (Steve McQueen, Malcom Smith and Dave Saldana)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyjtpB6AFuI Hill Climb (funny)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whjviUck9G0 Part 1 of the whole movie (you can find all the other parts here too)

youngster775

dale, do you know anyone that has this movie I could borrow for the weekend? I would love to watch it.
I watched the old school movie that Putz put a link on here and that was cool stuff!

n10sive

no. I don't. Wish I had it though. Will have to buy it

Rooster

Quote from: n10sive on April 23, 2010, 04:02:40 PM
yes...the 70's :( Watch that movie "On Any Sunday". I was there then LOL

My first bike was a 72 Penton 125 with a Sachs engine in it like this one (but Red)

[img]http://www.theowencollection.com/images/Motorcycles/Large/72Penton/72PentonRightFront.gif[/img

I REALLY want to draw a mouth on the front of that bike  :)

edmunsan

[/quote] Ah yes John Penton the game changer: Penton re wrote the rules of off road racing. those rules are still in place today. John Penton's first motorcycle had a 125 cc Sachs engine. Went on sale in1968 as the first american small bore lightweight dirtbike. Collabirated with KTM for production they came from Austria and were modified here in the states for the american market. Check em out PentonUSA.org.
MOTOISM my desease from wich there is no cure.