Main Menu

pics from today's Pine Nut ride

Started by Yard Sale, March 28, 2010, 08:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MotoPutz

Looked like alot of fun. Sorry I missed it. My parents left at ~5pm so there was just no way to make it. But next time!

Yard Sale

There were tons of mountain bikers at the staging area. When I returned from the first loop one of the mountain bikers was leaving so I moved my bike so she wouldn't run into it with her SUV. My bike fell over in its new spot. Stupid long sidestand!

During the second loop I came around a tree to find a short, steep climb with a rock step near the top. There was a downed rider on the left, blocking the good line where there wasn't much step to the rock. I didn't have much time to react, either go for it up the bad line (more step) or stop, and I went for it. I think my rear tire spun sideways slightly before hooking up and launching the bike. It looped over backward at an angle and I rolled down the hill. FUUUUUUUUU! I wonder if a trials tire would have helped.

There was a downhill section that you could ride with the throttle cracked open. A surprise left turn awaited at the bottom and I barely got it slowed down. Tell-tale tracks showed that many riders blew that turn. Just a little farther down the same trail there was a small whoop section that I hammered through, only to be surprised by a sharp left turn. FUUUUUUU! This time I blew the turn and went straight through it. Again I was not alone, as evidenced by the tracks. In a few years, it will be a trail.

Pine Nut is mostly whoop free, especially compared to Moonrocks. There are some acceleration bumps and holes, and a few braking bumps, but not much in the way of true whoops. There are a lot of trees, though it's nothing like Mendocino. I hit my handguards a couple times and had my elbow guards peeled back a few times. Except for the washes, the soil is not sandy at all. It is littered with very small rocks (<1") that at worst add a little vibration to the bars and subtract some traction. I wonder if they would add traction if the dirt turn to mud.

Technical diffculty on the District 36 off-road racer scale (A, B, C, E) is on the border of C and E. Easy peasy, except for suprises like that step. It seems you have go up into the mountains to find the gnarly terrain. The mountain trail I'd rate C not e. Quadtards encountered: 0. Equestrians encountered: 0. Joggers encountered: 1. Bicyclists encountered: 0. (But a few were seen on nearby trails.)

n10sive

Quote from: Yard Sale on March 29, 2010, 10:19:02 AM

Pine Nut is mostly whoop free, especially compared to Moonrocks. There are some acceleration bumps and holes, and a few braking bumps, but not much in the way of true whoops.

You obviously didn't ride the other side of the road heading west. Between the Dump Track (across from RC Plan airfield) and where you guys park is almost all whoops. A pretty sandy single track too (totally sucks when dry). The whoops in there are TIGHT and DEEP! I blew my front fork seals on one last week. :'(

Did you ride in the 'Playground'? That is the hilly terrain area just to the right of the trail as you head south from the parking area.
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

2 Smoke (Bryant)

From the looks of it I missed out on ANOTHER epic adventure.  But I did get my slide on my trailer repaired. It worked good before but now it wont fail on me. 
Throttle therapy:  Live to ride. Ride for life.

edmunsan

Erik thanks for the pics and coming down to Pine Nuts. There is so much more we didn't explore. Where to next?
MOTOISM my desease from wich there is no cure.

2 Smoke (Bryant)

Quote from: edmunsan on March 31, 2010, 11:33:30 PM
Erik thanks for the pics and coming down to Pine Nuts. There is so much more we didn't explore. Where to next?

Peavine after the snow melts off!!!????
Throttle therapy:  Live to ride. Ride for life.

edmunsan

Yea I've never been. Are there really peas over there :D
MOTOISM my desease from wich there is no cure.

zipbyu

I know of a lot of super tight, tree infested, train stuff on pevine.  I has it all.   2 full months to go.

partsman

Thanks for the pic Yard Sale! Great ride, been too long since I was down that way.
2000 BMW K1200RS, 2005 Yamaha YZ450F