Main Menu

Upcomming Coast Ride & Fires

Started by Grey Goat, July 29, 2008, 09:16:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Goat

Keep an eye on 

www.inciweb.org/state/5/ 

Great website for wildland fire info. 

Some of our favorite roads (Hwy 36) seem to be hot-spots right now. 

Hope to see you all this weekend on the Swim Ride! 

yzinger

good site. also check out calfire.gov It is what my old man uses (strike team leader out of SF)

n10sive

Keep in mind when reading these reports that the fire has long been out by 100% containment. I have been on fires with no active flame where it was considered only 30% contained (or less).
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

Grey Goat

Thanks for that other wildfire website. 

I'm getting itchy for either 96 (awesome 70-90 mph sweepers along the Klamath River, similar to 88 past Silver Lake & Kirkwood)) or 36 ... what to do, what to do ... so many twisties, not enuf time  :-\ 

Too many fresh blazes on 96 right now, only one biggie just west of Hayfork (near intersection of 3 & 36).  So, will be heading from Gold Beach to Fortuna tomorrow, then try 36 east.  Have 4 days to get to Reno for Sunday's Swim Ride ride, that's some serious tire wearing between now & then.  I'll report 36's smoke conditions when I see y'alls Sunday morning. 

Yee Haw  8) 

A DRAGON

Thanks Goat. We'll see you on Sunday at Starbucks.
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

yzinger

ya the "containment" has become something more to please the press than anything else. I was up at angora when it was "20%" the damn thing was almost out.

n10sive

Quote from: yzinger on July 30, 2008, 08:55:11 AM
ya the "containment" has become something more to please the press than anything else. I was up at angora when it was "20%" the damn thing was almost out.

It has nothing to do with the press. It has to do with probabilities of reigniting or spreading. Some fires are not 100% contained until it snows due to roots that burn underground.
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

yzinger

I guess I shouldn't have edited my post before posting it. the part I deleted went on to say that exact thing. the last thing "we the public" wanna see is a 100% contained fire sneak under the lines and re-ignite. which is why an incident commander will cover his ass and say it is only X% contained even tho it is raining out and everyone is twittling there thumbs.