Previous topic - Next topic

dub

WHAT: 3 Passes Ride
WHEN: Sunday Sept 21st, 9:30am to BS, KSU 10 am sharp
WHERE: Starbucks Topsy Lane, 921 Topsy Ln, Carson City, NV
‎ROUTE: Foothills, Diamond Valley, Ebbets, Parrots Ferry, Sonora, Monitor
FOOD: Lunch at Giant Burger in Arnold
PACE: As fast or slow as you want.

Come one, come all. Fall 3 passes ride. Ride some twisties, take in some scenery, look at aspens turning colors.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

It does appear the forecast is closing in on Sunday as the day for T-storms, which I do my best to avoid.  The forecast appears to be the same as far as T-storms for everything from Lee Vining north to Reno.  Saturday's high of 90 is a little high, but tolerable.  Sunday's high of 76, must have to do with the cloud formations and some weather front. 

I'm not sure what I want to do.  Either day works for me.  Would like to avoid the heat, but I'll take the heat over T-storms any day.

You're not going to ride in them are you?
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

Quote from: GreenMachine on September 19, 2014, 03:28:26 PMI'm not sure what I want to do.  Either day works for me.  Would like to avoid the heat, but I'll take the heat over T-storms any day.

You're not going to ride in them are you?

I'm not available to ride Saturday. I plan on doing what it says in the post.

Isolated rain showers are a possibility. If getting wet is unacceptable to anyone they shouldn't come.

I just posted this ride because there was interest in riding Sonora in the other thread, but no firm plans were being made. If the majority wants to do something else, that's fine with me; I just wanna go for a ride.

As you may have noticed, I haven't had nearly as many opportunities as I would prefer to go on Sunday rides lately. I'm not going to just sit at home on my couch because there is a 30% chance I'll get rained on.

GreenMachine

So my Saturday ride possibilities make it impossible to ride that day, so I'll say I'm in for this one, but tentative.  If you're going with or without, I'll leave it up to the weather.  Forecast is for isolated T-storms, so there's a good chance I'll be able to commit in the next 24 hours.

It should be fun.  I'm looking forward to it.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

slmoto

I'm in, rain or shine. I've got wet before and didn't melt or disintegrate so I should be okay.

See you guys Sun. at the mentioned Starbucks in Carson.

GreenMachine

Will you melt if you get struck by a lightning bolt?   :|)

I don't like it when I melt.

slmoto

Quote from: GreenMachine on September 19, 2014, 08:24:08 PM
Will you melt if you get struck by a lightning bolt?   :|)

I don't like it when I melt.

I'm not sure I'd melt, most likely I'd fry.

I don't like either, hopefully I won't find out.

Sub-Sonic

Hey guys, I'll tag along.

I've never been over these passes on a bike.

Looking at the satellite maps, this looks like a long, wine-dy, curvy, dangerous ride, with steep cliffs, drop-offs above 8000-9000ft. :terrified

GreenMachine

Only on a couple turns. It's mostly just watching out for slow wide campers and impatient cars trying to make time getting around them. This late in the season, it should be fairly quiet.

I'm going to add VC and the truck route to the plan. 8:40 AM KSU south route Maverik. That'll give us plenty O time to make Topsy by 9:30 AM. If we get hungry we can stop at the Ihop for a pancake breakfast. 10:00 start?  Zzzzzzzz.

slmoto

I'll do VC with you in the morning, might as well. See you and whoever else at Mavericks in the morning.

Sub-Sonic

Quote from: GreenMachine on September 20, 2014, 02:38:06 PM
Only on a couple turns. It's mostly just watching out for slow wide campers and impatient cars trying to make time getting around them. This late in the season, it should be fairly quiet.

Thanks for the info...
I'll have a hard enough time find the topsy place (just moved out here), so I'll go there.

What bikes to look for?
Will there be someone to keep track of everybody? (don't want to get lost)
and wait for stragglers?...

GreenMachine

SL's bike is his avatar and mine is green. Topsy lane and I-395 Carson City. Also map linked in the 2012 ride schedule. Maverik is map listed in the 2014 schedule 'south route' ride meet up location.

We all pretty much watch after each other. I doubt you'll get separated, but if you do, we usually wait up ahead at the next turnoff. We often like to mix it up on fun parts, doing laps, but this ride is a long one, so we'll have to scale it back some.

If we get t-storm cells, I may branch off after informing the group.

dub

Quote from: Sub-Sonic on September 20, 2014, 03:27:16 PMOnly on a couple turns. It's mostly just watching out for slow wide campers and impatient cars trying to make time getting around them. This late in the season, it should be fairly quiet.

Thanks for the info...
I'll have a hard enough time find the topsy place (just moved out here), so I'll go there.

What bikes to look for?
Will there be someone to keep track of everybody? (don't want to get lost)
and wait for stragglers?...
[/quote]

It's in the big shopping center in South Carson with the Best buy and In N Out.

No one will get left behind.

GreenMachine

It's already showering on Sonora and parts of Ebbetts.  I'm going to ride VC and accompany any riders that show up this AM for the journey to CC, but then head home.  

:rainday

GreenMachine

Just looked again.  It's raining on the Maverik meet-up and there's a huge front coming down from the north.  It appears to be closing in on the entire area.  So much for isolated T-storms!

I'm canceling.  Sorry.

:rainday :rainday