Main Menu

3 day 2 night Memorial Day ride: Breach Oregon or bust!

Started by GreenMachine, February 17, 2013, 10:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

:reporter
Splitting up a Memorial Day into two different overnight locals.  First night will be Ft. Bragg.  Second night will be Arcata.  The accommodations, for at least one of the two nights, should include an indoor pool for unwinding in the evening.  Day 1 has a significant amount of Hwy 1 coastal scenery.  Day 2 will be 100% hwy 1 & hwy 101.   Both days will include roads I have never ridden or even been on in my life.  Some are favorites of SCR.  Day 3, will be just about the fastest route home and all familiar roads (see below).  DR and I took this [day 3] route last year and we had time to stop in Oroville for BBQ tri-tip.  Oh, my mouth waters just thinking about these trips!

Day 1: Reno, Davis, Lake Berryessa, Guerneville/River Road, Jenner, Point Arena, Ft. Bragg
Day 2: Leggett, Garberville, Avenue of the Giants, Eureka, Brookings, OR, Arcata, CA
Day 3: Hwy 299 or 3 back to the Central Valley, Oroville, Quincy, Hallelujah Junction, Reno

We'll be making plenty of stops along the way for food/fuel/leg stretches and pictures/video.

Won't even be 1,100 miles, so it should be easy on a sportbike.  350 - 380 miles each day.  If someone is sore and has a cellphone, they could cut about 100 miles out of the first day's ride by meeting up in Ft. Bragg via hwy 20.  Although that could get messy if there's a problem with either group and we loose communication.  Day 2 loops Arcata > Brookings > Arcata, so there's another 200 miles that could be cut out for someone not wishing to go all the way into Oregon.  800 - 1,100 miles over three days is doable.  Last year DR and I ended up closing down a bar just about, we had so much spare time to kill.  Good times!  Great memories!
:drinking

Still in the planning stages.  :flagSSA :flagUSA  It's either this or I ship the bike to Kentucky and ride The Dragon.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

288RR

That sounds like a great ride to do.  If this happens ill have to try to do it

dub

That sounds awesome.  This is exactly the kind of thing I want to do.

Unfortunately, I'll be in Puerto Vallarta this Memorial Day.  Well, unfortunately isn't exactly the right word.

And if I wasn't out of the country I would be riding THill with Precision.

But if neither of those events were previously scheduled I would definitely do this.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

dr1150

Hello GM,
That was a great trip last year. Sign me up for this one.
"You start the game of life with a full pot o' luck and an empty pot
o' experience... The object is to fill the pot of experience before you
empty the pot of luck."

GreenMachine

Excellent!  I was hoping you could make it again DR.   Most excellent!

I have some spare cash burning a hole in my pocket, so my bike's going to be carrying some camera and GPS equipment this go around.  And I've already mapped the three days worth of routes.  The first day going by Lake Berryessa will be the tough part due to some twisties detours.  I've never ridden that area, but I know how to program waypoints into my GPS.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dr1150

"You start the game of life with a full pot o' luck and an empty pot
o' experience... The object is to fill the pot of experience before you
empty the pot of luck."