Main Menu

How NOT to pass at a trackday

Started by n10sive, October 10, 2011, 08:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

n10sive

Holy SCHNIKEES!!! Saw this vid of some poor guy getting taken out BIG TIME at Thunderhill this last weekend. This is an example of how NOT to pass someone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NC6akTqt6g
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

GreenMachine

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

n10sive

BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

RenoRider75

So glad I didn't see these before going out for my first track day.  What the hell was that person thinking, passing on the inside on turn 15?  (The Thunderhill video I mean)

That really sucks.  I kind of surprised I didn't crash after hearing all the horror stories from track day enthusiasts talking about their first time out...   ;D

GreenMachine

RR75, did you get any video footage you can share?  You looked like you were having just that much more fun than Steve or I.  Certainly in the afternoon when you came in all covered in sweat.  You did admirably!

Like I mentioned before, you were in C group, so the riders you were with probably weren't trying for that whole-shot.  In B group I had two idiot passes where the other rider was forcing me off my line by cutting inside at the last moment, invading my safety bubble.  In some ways I don't blame them and in others I do.  A lot of B group riders were riding at a better pace than I was and my lines made me a fairly fat object to pass.  This is one of the reasons to keep your overall speeds down, in such an event you need to take an alternate line on dirty track at a fairly good clip.

For me, having Dub show me around the track in session 2, was invaluable.  His advice was spot-on and I see from my video footage how I'm leaving potential from some of the corners, just like he said I was.  But hey, I was having fun either way.   :angel

I saw this video prior to our event.  I made sure I was trucking through 15, through all the corners as best I could, actually.  :|)

Not crashing and having fun.  Mission accomplished.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.