Main Menu

A few questions about street riding boots

Started by GreenMachine, December 09, 2011, 06:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

1) Do the retail stores here in Reno sell for the same/similar price as found on the Internet?  They all seem pretty much fixed there too.

2) Where would I go to find Sidi Vertigo boots in Reno?  (Trying to save time calling and driving & looking for SSA recommendations)

3) For anyone who owns a pair, what are their pros and cons?

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

Sorry, can't help you with any of your questions.  But I'm in the market for some new boots over the winter as well, so update this thread.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

KKM

I am looking to buy also. I have not seen the Vertigo for less than retail either. One thing about Sidi they seem to be tight in the width on all there boots. I wear a 10 1/2 EE and I have not found a Sidi that I can use. A-Star fits me better. The A-Star S-MX Plus will be coming soon. Well back to the dirt for now.
Kevin
2009 Aprilia RSV1000R
2012 KTM990R ADV
2013 KTM 500XCW

n10sive

I bought mine from a place on Hwy 50 in Carson a few years ago for close to internet prices. Unfortunately I think they are out of business now, or have gone 100% internet.

It's kind of sad that our local dealers don't support the sportbike community with better apparel. Seems like going to Auburn turns out to be the best bet these days.
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

GreenMachine

Going to Auburn, for a cost perspective, would make buying on the Internet that much more the better choice.  I'll go for a spin today and see what the local stealerships have to offer.  Hopefully they have what I'm looking for and I can confirm Kevin's boot fit.  My foot, I think, is similar in dimension.  Kinda like a duck foot.   :D
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Tahoebrian5

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

22SLOW

Try Rich @ RR Moto Source.  4900 mill street phone# 856-3855.  He did me good on my chest / back protector for trackdays.  He actually beat the internet pricing & no freight involved even though he ordered it for me.  He is a good guy....support the local businesses here!!

I have those boots as well, no problems so far.

n10sive

my only problem with these boots is the screw in the back used to tighten the boot around your calf. Don't turn them too hard or they will break off and you won't have a (easy) way to tighten the boot after that.

GreenMachine

Quote from: 22SLOW on December 28, 2011, 12:29:14 PM
Try Rich @ RR Moto Source.  4900 mill street phone# 856-3855.  He did me good on my chest / back protector for trackdays.  He actually beat the internet pricing & no freight involved even though he ordered it for me.  He is a good guy....support the local businesses here!!

I have those boots as well, no problems so far.
I did just that.  Only, he can't sell Sidi.  Sierra BMW and BVH are two of the few, if not, only retailers that are "authorized" area distributors.  Rich was nice enough to lookup the BMW dealers address.  I went over there today and tried some on.  The Vortice 46 fits perfect, the Cobra Air 45 fits perfect too, and the Vertigo Air 45 fits really tight at my instep.  Nothing much going on over there this afternoon, so I made a mess trying on what they had.  No pressure either.  They have to order the boot I feel is best for me, the Cobra Rain 46 (pictured).  It was a $125 difference up to the next level boot they could put me in, the Vertigo Mega Gore.   :-\  Come to think of it, I never really pressed them on whether that was final or not.  The Vertigo Rain is my first choice, but I actually think the Cobra or the Vertigo are more than up to the task.  I decided against the (pictured above) Vertigo Air.  One tumble and those red vent levers would be toast.

dub

I didn't realize waterproof was a consideration.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

Quote from: n10sive on December 28, 2011, 01:01:54 PM
my only problem with these boots is the screw in the back used to tighten the boot around your calf. Don't turn them too hard or they will break off and you won't have a (easy) way to tighten the boot after that.
Is that the Vortice, their top-of-the-line boot you're referring to?  That boot is WAAAY too complicated for a dumb-dumb biker like myself.   :D  In my estimation, a more practical ToTL boot by them is the ST (below).  Simple snap on fasteners.   Easy in.  Easy out.  Even still, I favor the Vertigo.

GreenMachine

Quote from: dub on December 28, 2011, 08:36:14 PM
I didn't realize waterproof was a consideration.
That's just what they call boots that aren't perforated.  Even the "rain" boots will leak water in, according to the guy at S. BMW.  The Mega Gore is suppose to be more water resistant.

In any event, I'm just looking for a long lasting, durable boot.  One I can deflect pine cones with and feel confident they won't tear.  Not that I do that, but you know what I mean.

n10sive

Sierra BMW is selling Sidi's now?  :o Do they cost double there?  :D

Tahoebrian5

Don't forget to consider how well they will hold up hiking through the woods near La Porte.  :o
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

GreenMachine

Which is why I'm opting for rain boots.  And with my own set of Sidi's, if I find your toe slider, I'll have a spare.  :disco