Main Menu

Hmmmm Damper Hmmmmmm

Started by weavefish, July 28, 2008, 06:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weavefish

So i think its time for a damper..... any suggestions? are any brands better for hondas? thanks in advance for your time.
It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens. - Woody Allen

Oneup

I used to be a big fan of dampers until I destroyed the one on my 600.  I've done a dozen or so trackdays since then and found that if I adjust my body position and use my legs more instead of my hands the headshake problem is minimal.

But if you want one you can't beat the adjustability and reliability of the scotts.  They are pricey but way worth it.  GPR is also a good damper, they are a little cheaper and have a little less adjustability but the customer service that the company provides is far superior than any other brand I know of.
02 KX250, 04 GSXR1000, 07 CBR600rr

weavefish

anyone hear any good/bad reviews of pitbulls stab?
It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens. - Woody Allen

Adiggity

Haven't heard anything on the stab, but I have had the Scotts and the GPR. Both are good. I think oneup is right to a point, but if you ever get in a situation where a damper saves your a$$, it is very worth having one. We all make mistakes when riding and I have seen some good riders go down because of head shake. If you are constantly getting head shake though, you should look into what is causing it. Could be bike set up, or it could be rider input. Damper is more for like having insurance, just in case...

n10sive

I have a Scotts on my SV. I hear that they are not really meant for road bikes. The type everyone uses was built for off road use. The reason is that there is just a little bit of play in them (mechanical slop) that for a road bike, translates into a lot of movement at high speeds. Anyway...that is what I heard. Since I don't know what high speed is on my bike, I think I'll be fine :)
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

Oneup

Scotts has two different versions.  A road version and a dirt version.  The road one has a different valving.  The only way to tell the difference is the road version has a R stamped in the top plate of it.  If the damper has any play it may need to be reworked.  None of the Scotts that I have owned have had not had any play in them at all.
02 KX250, 04 GSXR1000, 07 CBR600rr

Yard Sale

I used a super-old, never-rebuilt dirt version Scotts on my F4i. Still got some headshake with a bad setup, later remedied.

I use an Ohlins short-stroke tube-type damper on my TZ250. Still get some headshake and deal with it (body position, relaxation).

weavefish

Quote from: Adiggity on July 29, 2008, 09:13:09 AM
. If you are constantly getting head shake though, you should look into what is causing it. Could be bike set up, or it could be rider input. Damper is more for like having insurance, just in case...

i wouldnt get em everytime. but at higher speeds extremly minor movements would = shakes... nothing too serious but like you said id like the insurance of a Damper. now which one errrrr lol

T

GPR works great and is easy to install.  You can rebuild it multiple times and ridding without one on the track is a bit foolish.  Some tracks will not let you on without one for good reason.

weavefish

Quote from: T on July 29, 2008, 05:29:35 PM
GPR works great and is easy to install.  You can rebuild it multiple times and ridding without one on the track is a bit foolish.  Some tracks will not let you on without one for good reason.

lol i have been known to be a "bit foolish" at times.... but as i get older, wiser and faster i learn he he

2wcp

Quote from: Oneup on July 28, 2008, 06:43:46 PM

But if you want one you can't beat the adjustability and reliability of the scotts.  They are pricey but way worth it.  GPR is also a good damper, they are a little cheaper and have a little less adjustability but the customer service that the company provides is far superior than any other brand I know of.

Actually this isn't true any more. It used to be and now the Scotts are cheaper than the GPR.

I have used the same Scotts damper for 7 years on 3 different bikes, only rebuilt it once and have never had an issue. Who ever talked about the slop in their scotts damper needs to get it fixed. It shouldn't have any play and if it does then something is wrong. I really like my scotts, they are easy to get ahold of, good customer service, and its pretty cheap to send it in to get rebuilt. If you want, give me a call and we can see what we can get for you.
2 Wheel Custom Performance
2536 Sutro St Suite 12
Reno, NV 89512
775-303-1857
steve@2wcp.com
www.2wcp.com
Tues-Fri 10a-6p
Sat 10a-5p

n10sive

Quote from: 2wcp on July 30, 2008, 07:56:34 AM
Who ever talked about the slop in their scotts damper needs to get it fixed.

The slop is in the fact that it uses a 'slot on post' technology to connect to the triple tree and you can actually turn the bars a tiny bit before the damper comes into play due to mechanical clearances in the mounting. That's enough slop to not work effectively on a road bike. So it has nothing to do with the damper or the version itself.

BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

NVKrawler

i got my GPR for $300 shipped from indysuperbike.com and wouldnt ride another bike without one. I dont feel i need it as much as I used to when I had terrible body positioning but its a great piece of mind and work incredible.

Adiggity

Quote from: n10sive on July 30, 2008, 08:45:12 AM
The slop is in the fact that it uses a 'slot on post' technology to connect to the triple tree and you can actually turn the bars a tiny bit before the damper comes into play due to mechanical clearances in the mounting. That's enough slop to not work effectively on a road bike. So it has nothing to do with the damper or the version itself.
I do not remember having any play in mine....until I changed the fluid and didn't have the air totally bled out of the fluid. Once I got it bled right, it was good to go.... :-\ The clearances in the 'slot on post' shouldn't be enough to notice any play. Maybe yours is worn out... ???

2wcp

Quote from: Adiggity on July 30, 2008, 10:28:08 AM
Quote from: n10sive on July 30, 2008, 08:45:12 AM
I do not remember having any play in mine....until I changed the fluid and didn't have the air totally bled out of the fluid. Once I got it bled right, it was good to go.... :-\ The clearances in the 'slot on post' shouldn't be enough to notice any play. Maybe yours is worn out... ???

Thats what I'm saying, Myabe your post was ground too much or something. Cuz mine doesn't have any play in it either.
2 Wheel Custom Performance
2536 Sutro St Suite 12
Reno, NV 89512
775-303-1857
steve@2wcp.com
www.2wcp.com
Tues-Fri 10a-6p
Sat 10a-5p