Main Menu

Witnessed a bike vs. CHP chase

Started by Justin, May 17, 2008, 11:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin

30 police officer manhunts, a badly injured police officer, a destroyed state vehicle, reckless endangerment of the public's welfare apparently is not news-worthy i guess. . . There must be a hot-air balloon race today. Let me know if anyone hears anything.

dtatum6

Wow thats crazy!  I haven't heard anything.

I am the only one that has had the itch to run?

A few months ago i was coming into jackson to go over the mountains.  I was probably doing 10-15 over.  I passed a cop who got me on radar.  I saw the car flip on the lights as i passed me.  For a split second i had the urge to just bolt.  It was just a passing though and i didn't but in the moment the thought crossed my mind.  I waited till the cop caught up and pulled over.  The cop pulled me over then flagged down the car directly behind her (the cop).  She came up to me and thanked me for stopping.  I was like 'uhhh ok' kinda wondering if she expected me to run.  She said the truth is that most guys do and they get away plain and simple.  She said it was my lucky day because the car she flagged down wouldn't get out of her way when she flipped a U and came after me.  So i got of with a warning and a 'take care over the pass', while the other driver got a ticket for impeding an officer.

I hope the cop is ok but i agree.  Its not worth them risking their own life for somebody who is going to run.

russtman

Its unfortunate that the COP crashed and most likely was injured, but it sounds as if his EGO to stop this dude got the best of him.     I agree, you have to consider all, and look at the big picture.      If its just a speeding ticket or some minor infraction, then the high speed chase is not justified, just look at the amount of people that were endangered and involved. 

I am not condoning that we all run from the COPS, I just think the COP let his ego get the best of him in this situation and wound up wrecking trying to prove a point ( to get his man )  ---we are not in CANADIA are we???    It wasnt a mounty chasing the bike was it???   

Hopefully they will get the guy , but its unfortunate that someone had to get hurt.   Hopefully there was a lesson learned here.     Its up to all of us to be responsible  for our actions.      :o

Need  money!!!!   WILL WORK FOR TRACK DAYS.

MotoPutz

Quote from: dtatum6 on May 18, 2008, 02:30:10 PM

I am the only one that has had the itch to run?

When I first got my bike I did a wheelie toward a cop and I knew he wanted to turn around and get me but there was an island so I throttled up and made some corners and made sure he wouldn't find me.

I know on the way to my friends house we do 90+ on a back road and if it so happens a shieff sees you, he won't even turn around cause he knows he doesn't have a chance to catch you. (this is in Cali)

JENX!!!

just saw it on the news....their still looking for the rider., didnt hear how the officer is doing tho.
Hi my name is jenx and im a track junky.....

n10sive

'moderate injuries' which is good news considering what JUSTINO saw and the mechanism of injury. Glad to hear he is in relatively good shape (all things considered).

Also heard on the news a rider was killed on 80 in sparks coming off the freeway :(

BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

repsol71

I agree, sounds like ego got in the way, I have a CHP friend for some 30 years now and he diffinetly says no chasing the bikes cause they go too fast, and it is a danger to the public and such, he works the El Dorado Hills to Watt Ave on hwy 50 and he said it is just too dangerous to follow and apprehend, now if you pull over then that is different, he also said as long as you are doing the speed limit and dragging knee it's all good, However, the rule of thumb is this, you are dragging and if something is in the road, CAN you STop or avoid the obstruction, this is the question and obviously up to the spectating officer.
I am always ready to rip!!!

russtman

I have run plenty of times in Texas---have not had to here in Nevada yet ---the roads are to damn straight to get away!!! ;D
Need  money!!!!   WILL WORK FOR TRACK DAYS.

buell12r

dont know or want ot find out
soubds like a bad idea to test it or use it if it is true

Justin

Plus. the one that crashed was the second persuing vehicle.  Usually there job is to drive a bit safer and work the radio for the primary car so the primary can negotiate a safe persuit. I have never run from a police vehicle that was following me, and wouldn't I'd rather lose my DL than my nursing license for felony evasion. Nursing school was way to difficult to throw it away.  Oh yeah, i'd like to avoid getting killed on my bike, too. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

Adiggity

Quote from: Justino on May 18, 2008, 11:26:31 PM
  Oh yeah, i'd like to avoid getting killed on my bike, too. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.
+100. There is no reason to run. Worst case, you'll go to jail for speeding. Worst case, you or someone else will end up in a casket if you run.......Geez, which one should I do???.....

Not the first time someone has been badly injured or worse trying to run from the cops. Unfortunately won't be the last either. I remember a few years ago a kid was running from the cops in Sun Valley on his quad, crashed and was killed. Everyone was trying to blame the cop for chasing him then too. Problem is, both fueled the outcome. One without the other wouldn't end up that way, but testosterone, HP and bad decisions are a bad combo. :-\

Best wishes to the CHP on his recovery.

bansheeseat$$

Quote from: Adiggity on May 19, 2008, 12:14:19 PM
Quote from: Justino on May 18, 2008, 11:26:31 PM
  Oh yeah, i'd like to avoid getting killed on my bike, too. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.
I remember a few years ago a kid was running from the cops in Sun Valley on his quad, crashed and was killed. Everyone was trying to blame the cop for chasing him then too. Problem is, both fueled the outcome. One without the other wouldn't end up that way, but testosterone, HP and bad decisions are a bad combo. :-\

If I remember right the kid was slowing down to pull over and stop and the cop ran into him and forced him threw a fence and he died..But regardless I agree with you about the testosterene factor..
Mental note:Don't drag knees with jeans on!!!

Adiggity

Quote from: bansheeseat$$ on May 19, 2008, 01:09:00 PM
  If I remember right the kid was slowing down to pull over and stop and the cop ran into him and forced him threw a fence and he died..But regardless I agree with you about the testosterene factor..
Yeah, I heard a few different versions of the story. I guess no one but the people involved truly know what happened for sure. Either way, if the kid wouldn't have ran, he wouldn't have been killed. If the officer wouldn't have chased, the kid wouldn't have been killed.....who is right?? What if the kid would've hit a toddler while running from the cop? Who is at fault then? Point is, you don't run, nothing happens except for a ticket or jail. Nobody dies or gets hurt. You don't speed, you don't have to worry about it.

Another reason to just go to the track!!!! ;D ;D

DILIS

Not the first time someone has been badly injured or worse trying to run from the cops. Unfortunately won't be the last either. I remember a few years ago a kid was running from the cops in Sun Valley on his quad, crashed and was killed. Everyone was trying to blame the cop for chasing him then too. Problem is, both fueled the outcome. One without the other wouldn't end up that way, but testosterone, HP and bad decisions are a bad combo

the sheriff was james beltron,he has pulled me over,and yes he hates bikes and the people who ride them,doesnt matter what you ride either.hes sitting behind a desk,most of the time.

Justin

Quote from: DILIS on May 24, 2008, 07:19:03 PM
Not the first time someone has been badly injured or worse trying to run from the cops. Unfortunately won't be the last either. I remember a few years ago a kid was running from the cops in Sun Valley on his quad, crashed and was killed. Everyone was trying to blame the cop for chasing him then too. Problem is, both fueled the outcome. One without the other wouldn't end up that way, but testosterone, HP and bad decisions are a bad combo

the sheriff was james beltron,he has pulled me over,and yes he hates bikes and the people who ride them,doesnt matter what you ride either.hes sitting behind a desk,most of the time.
I guess you intended on quoting andy. I was lost for a minute.  .  . but you are also referring to the Sun Valley incident.   The motorcyclist I posted about has turned himself in, and confessed.