Main Menu

Witnessed a bike vs. CHP chase

Started by Justin, May 17, 2008, 11:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin

I am glad to be a member of this club because I believe none of us would run from 5, 6, or 7 police cars.
For a moment I said "i hope it's not anyone I know" (but he wasn't wearing good gear) While I witnessed speeds in excess of 90 mph. (other witnesses at the crash scene said it was well over 100)
I arrived at the entrance to Squaw Valley (15 miles away from where I first saw them)  Although I knew someone was going to be badly hurt, I didn't expect it to be the CHP in a Crown Victoria.  He was air lifted to Reno after failing to execute a high speed left hander from 89 to Squaw Valley Road.  CHP left a large portion of his sheet metal on the light tower and must have spun/rolled several times before landing in a ditch.  Although I am very very concerned for his safety, and my thoughts are with his family, unless he was armed and dangerous, why chase anyone at ultra high speed through a resort town (tahoe city) on a very warm Saturday night? I thought the bike and pedestrians would perhaps would be killed.  I hope the CHP comes out perfectly healthy, even if I am scratching my head, wondering why this happened.

JENX!!!

WOW!!! so did  the rider get away? I agree, sometimes cops should be more relaxed with chasing...but then again if thats the case, everybody would run!!!, they should just get better cars........like this one  ;D. and more good training.,............... hope the cop is ok.
Hi my name is jenx and im a track junky.....

Justin

A Montana Police Dept. states
In deciding whether to initiate pursuit, the officer shall take into consideration:

a.         Road, weather and environmental conditions
b.         Population density and vehicular and pedestrian traffic
c.         The relative performance capabilities of the pursuit vehicle and the vehicle being pursued.
d.         The seriousness of the offense
e.         The presence of other persons in the police vehicle
f.          Visibility conditions and
g.         Speeds involved

Justin

New Jersey States this
"a policy to appropriately weigh a police officer's sworn duty to apprehend lawbreakers with the obligation to protect life and the public safety."

n10sive

sheesh. Glad all that happened AFTER I left Tahoe City today!

Best wishes to the cop.
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

Justin

They have recovered the bike, but not the subject.  He's either in a friends house, or he'll die of hypothermia. There are probably 30 police cars in that area (no exaggeration)

nvgixxer

WOW! I am glad I missed all that tragedy! I hope the CHP is OK! A couple of guys and me passed through the Truckee area at about 5PM yesterday afternoon.
Justino: I have yet to meet you, but  I think the two guys I was with yesterday met you somewhere around Truckee Friday evening!? They had just done the Downieville loop. Upon your recommendation, the younger guy joined the SSA that night. 
2015 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2012 Kawasaki ZX14R (sold)
2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2007 Suzuki GSXR1000 (totaled)
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2003 Suzuki GSXR1000 (sold)

Resistor

Hey nvgixxer, you've met Justino, he was on the one SSA ride you did.  Black CBR 600.
2005 GSXR-600

nvgixxer

Quote from: Resistor on May 18, 2008, 06:36:09 AM
Hey nvgixxer, you've met Justino, he was on the one SSA ride you did.  Black CBR 600.
OK then, yeah, I remember now......I think. Yikes, senior dementia sneakin' up on me!!?? ;)
2015 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2012 Kawasaki ZX14R (sold)
2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2007 Suzuki GSXR1000 (totaled)
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2003 Suzuki GSXR1000 (sold)

Justin

yes, we met one sunday. Black CBR 600 with stickers removed.  We rode together up and down the pass. You followed me up, I followed you down.  I may not be the fastest, but it's easy to spot me, as I am the best looking of the group. ;D

Justin

PS. The police car had some obvious fire damage.

n10sive

Has there been anything in the news about it yet? I have looked at the lake papers and reno news stations but nothing yet.
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

Justin

The media was notified about the same time you posted this

Team Gorgonzola

I remember seen a youtube video were a cop in a chasing vehicle forced a 19 yo rider to crash, head on, with another cop which crossed the yellow line to stop the fleeting rider. The kid was killed instantly. The crime was speeding. Talking about the punishment not fitting the crime :-\
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
-Hunter S. Thompson-

JENX!!!

somebody told me that NV has a unannounced +100MPH no chase policy.....donno if its just BS., like if your running and kept your speed above 100mph, that they would back off....
Hi my name is jenx and im a track junky.....