Main Menu

Power Commander???

Started by dtatum6, May 17, 2008, 09:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtatum6

Is a Power Commander worth the $?  Have any of you bought one and been happy or dis-satisfied with it?

To Power Commander or not to Power Commander that is the Question.

JENX!!!

have mine since  03 with a downloaded map....im happy..., but u need to get tuned to get the max out of it., everybody says gearing change is a better bang for the buck if you havent done that yet.
Hi my name is jenx and im a track junky.....

dtatum6

What do you do for a gear change?  How do you get it tuned once you have the PC?

DBXJ

Quote from: dtatum6 on May 17, 2008, 10:24:12 PM
What do you do for a gear change?  How do you get it tuned once you have the PC?

a sprocket change, i have a -1F +2R and there was a big diffrence in how it rode, also have a power commander and it was defently worth the money but like jenx said you need it tuned to get the most out of it, would also recomend and exhaust,air filter, and better plugs when you tune it.

DBXJ

a sprocket change, i have a -1F +2R and there was a big diffrence in how it rides, also have a power commander and it was defently worth the money but like jenx said you need it tuned to get the most out of it, would also recomend and exhaust,air filter, and better plugs when you tune it.

Resistor

I have a power commander (PCIII) on my bike.  The only other mods I've done is a slip on exhaust.  My main reason was to help the bike go from a dead stop.  I notice an improvement but I'm not sure if it was worth the money.  I don't have a custom map though.  I unplug it next time I ride to remember how much of a difference it makes.
2005 GSXR-600

dtatum6

JENX!!!

pretty easy install.....plug and wiring harness., it should come with instructions if you buy it brand new., download your map, upload to bike and your set.

Johnny

I recomend you get all you upgrades you plan on doing 1st (full exhaust, filter, Velocity stacks, Pair mod, fuel your expected to use, etc).  Or you can just remap it every major upgrade you get.  A custom map runs about $200 in the Reno area.  You could just download a map but elevation, type of gas, humidity, etc makes a difference in the map.  I've gained an additional 11 rear wheel horsepower (according to my dyno chart) after I got a custom map and it is much smoother on my gixxer.  If you just have a slip on or a minor upgrades the PC won't do much and doubt you'd feel the difference. 

Like everyone said though if you just want a little more acceleration and feel a little more oommpphhh just regear it (usually people do -1 up front and +2 in the rear).  Keep in mind that your speedo will be way off (can be corrected with speed healer) and you'll loose a bit high end.  It can be a little annoying high revving it on the freeway.

JENX!!!

where in reno can i get a custom map? is that 200bucks tuned on a dyno?

Johnny

Quote from: jenx1976 on May 19, 2008, 09:29:41 PM
where in reno can i get a custom map? is that 200bucks tuned on a dyno?
Big Valley Honda is where I got mine mapped but if you go to some of the trackdays they do custom maps on a dyno too.  I recomend going to a specific model site (i.e. gixxer.com 600rr.net r6messagenet.net etc) and doing a search on how to get your bike tuned.  BVH wasn't familiar with Suzuki's and didn't know that they had to block off certain valves in order to get a smooth power curve.  I had to get my bike to them 2nd time (no additional charge) and once I did the block mods myself they retuned it to get an additional 5 rear wheel horsies and a very nice smooth air/fuel ratio chart!

JENX!!!

yeah I remember there was one last track day @ RFR but i didnt  have the cash to do it....hope they show up on the 8th.....

A DRAGON

SPL will be there on the 8th with their Dyno. I plan on letting letting BVH do my maping on my aprilia. I'll let you know how it goes.
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750