Main Menu

Roll Call - Markleeville 09/07/14 - 9:00 AM

Started by GreenMachine, September 03, 2014, 06:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

The countdown has begun.  After this ride, there are only three more scheduled SSA rides this season.

Planned 8:30 9:00 AM kickstands up.*  The morning temps for the extended forecast show 7* - 15* above normal temperatures, so if mother nature is going to serve up early August morning temps with late August afternoon temps in September, we might as well keep our ride schedule within those more mild temperature ranges as well.

RSVP** if you're planning on going.   If you do not RSVP, the ride may be canceled even if you had planned on showing up the day of the ride.  We'll depart on the ride as soon as everyone arrives and is ready, meaning, that if there are any newb riders, I will go over some of the key items they'll need to know.  We've had a lot of new riders coming out this year on group rides, so there may be one, two or three new riders.  You just never know.  

South route ride.  This is a minimum C level ride pace route, so all riders welcome.  Meet at the Geiger Maverik Country Store.  

Hope to see you there.

* KSU dependent on when everybody is ready.
** RSVP - répondez, s'il vous plaît a.k.a. please reply.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RichVee4

I'll be there.  Mrs Sprint will likely join us as well.
Live long and prosper \V/

nvgixxer

Sounds good to me! Hey GM, what's the plan once we get to Markleeville? Up and back over Ebbetts or Monitor? I'm good with either route.
As time grows near, I'll watch for a more specific KU time so that I can plan on meeting you guys at the north VC rest stop area, as you just enter VC.

Jimbo
2015 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2012 Kawasaki ZX14R (sold)
2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2007 Suzuki GSXR1000 (totaled)
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2003 Suzuki GSXR1000 (sold)

GreenMachine

Brrr.  Must be a little more humid this morning.  It feels colder out there today for some reason.  Still well above normal for this time of year, but it's making me question the start time.

I'll adjust if need be.

Route is whatever the group wants to try that day.  Sounds like your input is to make more from the ride.  We'll see what Rich & co. want to do when the time comes.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Mel

Hey Jimbo, I think you're on the right track on going over Ebbetts ;)! The road is clean, no gravel or potholes all the way to Lake Alpine. It's only 25 miles to Lake Alpine from the junction of 4 and 89. You could have lunch at the Lake Alpine Resort. They have a beautiful restaurant with a covered deck, sundries and gift shop, and bar. There is also lots of parking in front of the restaurant. Here's a link with photos:

http://www.lakealpineresort.com/amenities.html

I might even be tempted to make it if you guys decide on this route 8)!

Mel

Tahoebrian5

I finally have time to ride! I did an afternoon to bassets n back yesterday and had some gear failure.. Namely the zipper on my jacket is completely shot. I looked like a vato out of the vario on the way home with my jacket held together at my neck and flapping in the breeze on the bottom. Got a jacket on order, fingers crossed that it will make it here before Sunday.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

Tahoebrian5

Btw, Yuba pass is a mess. They did that thing were they take all the dirt out of the ditches and put it on the road for the purpose of keeping the roads clean in case you get some runoff. Government policy at its best.

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

GreenMachine

There's a leather shop on S Virginia near Vasser that can put a durable zipper on ur old jacket for little $$. My recommendation.

Tahoebrian5

Good tip! I'll definitely see about getting it repaired to have as a backup. I really wanted a new one anyway so perfect excuse. Don't tell the wife.

nvgixxer

Quote from: Mel on September 04, 2014, 10:49:22 AM
Hey Jimbo, I think you're on the right track on going over Ebbetts ;)! The road is clean, no gravel or potholes all the way to Lake Alpine. It's only 25 miles to Lake Alpine from the junction of 4 and 89. You could have lunch at the Lake Alpine Resort. They have a beautiful restaurant with a covered deck, sundries and gift shop, and bar. There is also lots of parking in front of the restaurant. Here's a link with photos:

http://www.lakealpineresort.com/amenities.html

I might even be tempted to make it if you guys decide on this route 8)!

Mel
Hi Mel,

Oh yes indeed, have eaten there many times in the past. We used to do exactly as you wrote about, lunched there and then returned home. On other occasions we made the big loop, down to Murphys / Angels Camp, then 49 to hwy 26 (talk about a fun tight twisty road, love it), then home via hwy 88.

nvgixxer

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on September 04, 2014, 12:05:02 PM
Good tip! I'll definitely see about getting it repaired to have as a backup. I really wanted a new one anyway so perfect excuse. Don't tell the wife.
Ha...............poor Brian! Get used to dodging the bullet my friend, I've been telling the "don't tell the wife" thingy to friends and family members for 41 years! ARGHH!!  ;D

dub

I read this on another forum recently and thought it was funny: "My biggest fear is that after I die my wife will sell all my guns for what I told her I paid for them."
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

RichVee4

I'm game for Ebbetts if that's what we choose.  Would be a nice change of scenery since we have done monitor a couple time in the last month.  The section with no yellow line is a little goatish for my taste but will slow it down and enjoy the scenery.
Live long and prosper \V/

Mel

Rich, you will love the last 14 miles into Lake Alpine, as it is all smooth, fresh pavement 8)! Yes, the scenery is spectacular!!

Mel

Tahoebrian5

Quote from: dub on September 04, 2014, 03:41:39 PM
I read this on another forum recently and thought it was funny: "My biggest fear is that after I die my wife will sell all my guns for what I told her I paid for them."

I like that quite a bit!