Main Menu

Newbie Ride Sat 7/19/14

Started by Mel, July 14, 2014, 12:35:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

Quote from: Richman on July 18, 2014, 02:44:14 PM
Touring compound?? whats next panniers?  :D
Maybe?   8)  If BC can do it on his Connie, I should be able to do it on my sportbike.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

Quote from: Mel on July 18, 2014, 06:10:25 PM
Everyone doing their pre-ride check and getting ready :)!

Mel
The new front tire's fitted.  I hate what it does to my front brakes though.  It'll take that darn things at least until the end of tomorrow's ride to bed it.  :-\

The bike is still pretty dirty from sitting in last week's morning dew and the ride.  Oh well.  DR's not going to be there to give me grief about it, so what the heck.  She's going as is.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

feenickz

Well guys, as flamecrow said, he is going to make sure I wake up early enough to join you guys. Im looking forward to meeting and riding with everyone, I have heard good things about this group of people.

I just got done inspecting and lubing my chain, as well as checking my tires, and everything else. I just wish I had time to wash the bike before the ride. I just got home from a 1300+ mile ride to Oregon and back last weekend, so the bike is still really dirty.

Tim Ill have 3 batteries plus a battery back pack, and ill bring my charger along, just let me know if you need a battery, ill have enough

flamecrow

I just finished cleaning and lubing my chain (first time). I did it without a rear stand, took me nearly 3 hours. DEAD TIRED. I hope I lubed it correctly lol... and I'm not sure if it's too loose or not, mind you it looks complicated to tighten the chain.. I'll have one of you experts check my chain slack tomorrow morning :)

@feenickz, I got off work at 7:30pm and was still able to wash my bike lol...but I didn't change out my dark visors so you know, riding back in the dark was not fun :D

@dave, for $13?! lol it's ordered and on the way ;p

See everyone tomorrow morning!

RichVee4

We made it back, even got a free shower! My jacket is definitely not water proof.  Enjoyed seeing everyone and riding together.  We got a bit of everything today from a mix of roads to weather,  even learned a few things along the way.  Will post some pics shortly.
Live long and prosper \V/

flamecrow

had a good time, looks like feenickz got a free bike wash on the way back

ps - thank you rain, for raining after i had just taken off my fender haha

Mel

Slmoto and I got caught in a good thunder storm from Truckee to Verdi but it was bumper to bumper most of the way in first and second gear :)! It was actually fun, but would have been even more fun on the goat roads lol!! GM went back up 20 to 49 and Downeville and over Yuba to 89 :)! At Truckee I could see the storm was moving north right up 89 towards where GM would be coming down LOL!

Mel

Thanks to everyone who made the ride and hope you enjoyed the assortment of different type roads. I think it might have been a little overwhelming to some of you, but hopefully you learned a little and took notes on things you need to work on to improve your riding skills. There were 12 of us that made the ride and here is the list:

-Mel
-Daniel (288cbr)
-Laura
-Scott (slmoto)
-Rich (Richman)
-Monica
-Greg
-Craig (feenickz)
-David (BC-2)
-Tanya
-Tim (flamecrow)
-GM (GreenMachine)

I have a feeling it's a little too soon for a Newbie Goat Ride :)! There will be a goat ride in the future for the experienced guys 8)!

Mel

slmoto

Great ride today, good to meet and ride with some of the new people. Thanks for putting it together mel. It was great meeting you and riding with you hope to see you out more and learn what i can from you.

The rain/hail was a little sketchy for me but i was enjoying being cooled down by it.

feenickz

I had a really good time today, thanks for letting me join the ride.
Here is a short little clip of my "close call" coming back down from the fire station.
Click me!
I ended up hitting my foot peg, boot, and brake lever, which cracked and bent the brake lever, but still usable. Thanks Greg for stopping and making sure I was alright, I just had to shake it off real quick before going again.

GreenMachine

Quote from: Mel on July 19, 2014, 05:37:54 PM
Slmoto and I got caught in a good thunder storm from Truckee to Verdi but it was bumper to bumper most of the way in first and second gear :)! It was actually fun, but would have been even more fun on the goat roads lol!! GM went back up 20 to 49 and Downeville and over Yuba to 89 :)! At Truckee I could see the storm was moving north right up 89 towards where GM would be coming down LOL!
:lucky :disco :egyptian :banana2 :nana :nana2 :nana3 :moon :pieface :rotflmao  It was my turn to be lucky today!

I got a few drops on me, that was about it.  Yuba was sunny and warm.  As I descended down to the Yuba lookout I could see black clouds and lightning in the Truckee & hwy 89 area, but a dry window of opportunity via Chilcoot & 395.  I just had to navigate three sheriff/CHP vehicles in the Loyalton area.  Very strange, but they basically didn't slow me down much.  The wettest drops occurred as I came down off Parr Blvd, but they only lasted a mile, not even enough to mention really.  The rest of it, here and there, was light and quick. 

So the hwy 49/70/395 route was the perfect choice.  A little out of the way, but not too bad.  Didn't get any drops until Bordertown, but again, they were basically Virga with very few drops making it all the way to the surface and no more lightning either. 

Sorry I missed out on your guys' fun.  Next time for sure!  :P

GreenMachine

Quote from: feenickz on July 19, 2014, 06:21:45 PM
I had a really good time today, thanks for letting me join the ride.
Here is a short little clip of my "close call" coming back down from the fire station.
Click me!
I ended up hitting my foot peg, boot, and brake lever, which cracked and bent the brake lever, but still usable. Thanks Greg for stopping and making sure I was alright, I just had to shake it off real quick before going again.
That will get your heart rate up.  Nice save! 

Very glad the road didn't exact a higher toll.  It's fairly steep and unforgiving going down. 

Mel

Hey slmoto, it was fun riding with you and thanks for the company in the rain :)! I still had all my jacket vents open and helmet vents, so things got a little moist ;)!

feenickz, dude you just used up one of your lives crossing that centerline. If a vehicle had been coming up just as you went over the line it could have gotten nasty. It's VERY important to always ride in your comfort zone, and looking at that video you were definitely out of your comfort zone. I hope you don't take it wrong, but I just want to see you get old like me brother!

GM, that is such an awesome photo you put up!! Glad to hear that you made back just about rain free.

I'm sorry that the rest of you didn't get to go down Washington Rd as I think slmoto can attest that it's a fun 6 miles 8)! The sad part is that you got rained on anyway :)!

Mel

GreenMachine

What I learned was that Pike's road has some awful bumps in the center of the downhill lane in the twisty section.

I also made a late decision brake on hwy 49 to turn around and let traffic go on ahead, so as not to ruin my fun.  Touring tires slide just like being on a dirt bike navigating down a sandy slope.  The back end came around on me pretty good before I recognized what was going on back there.  Fortunately, riding dirt with TB5 taught me what I should do, let up on the front brake a little, enough to get the back end to stay behind where it's suppose to be.  Hard rubber is great for tire wear and extremely hot conditions, but I wouldn't want them on my bike when the daytime highs drop below 90.*

I also learned the Washington and Pleasant Valley roads aren't nearly as tight as I remembered from last year, i.e. I had more fun on them and came into turns much more slowly than I needed to.

RichVee4

The hail was particularly, um fun.  Have never done paint ball but now have a pretty good idea what it would feel like to be repeatedly shot by someone.

Who's idea was it anyway for Mel to lead and he has no turn signals on the rear of his bike??   :) 
Live long and prosper \V/