Main Menu

superbike AMA, FIM. Tires?

Started by zipbyu, March 28, 2010, 03:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zipbyu

I just finished watching the ama and fim sbk superbike.  Does anyone else see a huge difference in the bikes.  The the ama bike move around soooooo much, even with traction control too. The FIM bikes seem so much more planted.  The guys are equally talanted and are at the same level which Ben proved last year.  What is the biggest difference?

I think the dunlop tires suck (which the ama uses). I know by personal experince.   I also know the ama bike are limmited to suspension alterations to level the field.  Judging by all the bikes moving around and constant stepping out looks just plain unsafe to me.

What are your thoughts about the superbikes?  Please keep in mind I love to support the local racers, but the ama is just retarded.

XIII

Quote from: zipbyu on March 28, 2010, 03:49:51 PM
I just finished watching the ama and fim sbk superbike.  Does anyone else see a huge difference in the bikes.  The the ama bike move around soooooo much, even with traction control too. The FIM bikes seem so much more planted.  The guys are equally talanted and are at the same level which Ben proved last year.  What is the biggest difference?

I think the dunlop tires suck (which the ama uses). I know by personal experince.   I also know the ama bike are limmited to suspension alterations to level the field.  Judging by all the bikes moving around and constant stepping out looks just plain unsafe to me.

What are your thoughts about the superbikes?  Please keep in mind I love to support the local racers, but the ama is just retarded.

I think that they are not at the same level and that Ben Spies is an exception. The crop in SBK > AMA IMO. The current stigma surrounding AMA doesn't help it's image either.

Justin

AMA?  Are they still holding road racing events?

RCFLAGGER

Would deffinately agree... There is a BIG difference between  the skill and expierence level between FIM & AMA.  Just look at the "developmental" classes and their coporate support i.e. 250 & 500 GP.  One other thing, AMA requires a CLEAN track, FIM on the otherhand ROADRACES!!
RACING is the only form of compitition......everything else is just a GAME.........  '84 GoldWing ,'82 KZ1100-D, '75 Kaw Z-1 900, '73 Honda CL-350, '69 Honda CT-90

XIII

Quote from: Gangplank on March 29, 2010, 11:11:34 AM
Quote from: zipbyu on March 28, 2010, 03:49:51 PM

Recently went for a ride 2-up on the back of Jason Pridmore's GSXR 1000 at the STAR school. I can tell you those new Dunlop Q2 street tires stick. The experience was EYE OPENING. The bike was well planted for sure.  Ask any of the others who took the ride at the STAR school. I'm pretty impressed with those tires.

Now that said, my personal experience with the Dunlop Qualifiers (old Q's that are the stock tires on many bikes) is that they do take longer to warm up vs. other ties & are way more slipery when cold. Almost dumped the Aprilia Shiver a few times....

Personally I am pretty happy with the Michellin 2CT' that I ran on the front at Thunderhill last week. Not that I am good enough to push the limits of the tire but I didn't feel anything that would lead me to lack confidence in the tire. Superb so far. Prolly stick with it. 

I have also been on the back of Pridmore's bike and it felt fast but it was mainly because I had no control as a passenger. Add the fact that I was a super noob at that point and it made the ride even more impressive. I am not saying the Pridmore isn't fast. He is racing in a revered series after all. What I am trying to convey is that reviewing a tire's capability based on that ride is not reflective of the tires true capabilities. The ride was fast and "planted" because Jason made it so. He can probably give you the same type of ride on any bike he is comfortable with regardless of tire choice.

Oneup

Until they went to spec tires the AMA Dunlops were thought to be the best.  IIRC the top 8 riders two years ago were on the same tire.  Ben Spies complained about the Pirellis all year last year.  But I have heard the AMA pros complaining a lot about the AMA spec dunlops.  Apparently Dunlop dropped the ball when they were guaranteed to sell tires.  Why make a top quality tire when you can make a mediocre one and sell the same amount of tires.

BTW- Tires costs for the pros are over $2000 a weekend.  Everyone has to pay, no one gets free tires anymore.
02 KX250, 04 GSXR1000, 07 CBR600rr