Main Menu

Roll Call - Fort Bragg, CA in 1 day Saturday 6:00 AM KSU 07/26/14

Started by GreenMachine, July 23, 2014, 02:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

Waking the neighbors.   >:(

Ehh, they'll get over it.

p.s. I still need to take the dog for a quick walk.  Should be there a few minutes early.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

NevadaWolf

Looks like a fun ride! Enjoy, be safe, and I'm looking forward to the report!  :)

GreenMachine

SL is mad! Not angry, crazy! He got to the restaurant before me. Pretty chilly here. Beer's goin down good.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RichVee4

Wasn't expecting a mid ride update.  Sounds like SL is tired of sweeping :)   Half way!!  Looking forward to the post ride report.

The Mrs is out for a ride (Monitor) and I'm just chilling with the puppy hoping my work phone dosent ring.  At least I found a good motocross race on TV, RedBull Hare Scramble.
Live long and prosper \V/

nvgixxer

Both you guys are crazy, as in insane. A ride like that should be at least two, maybe three days long so riders could ride hwy 1 for as long as they wanted and kick back and relax at night in a motel, drink beer and tell war stories, etc..
2015 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2012 Kawasaki ZX14R (sold)
2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2007 Suzuki GSXR1000 (totaled)
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2003 Suzuki GSXR1000 (sold)

GreenMachine

Not too shabby and not too too sore.  My neck muscles were more sore when we stopped in Fort Bragg this morning.  I have to think there's a point where the muscles just give up on trying to tell you what they're feeling.  My neck didn't say much after that.   Though, I really wanted off the bike when we made Quincy on the way back.  Some brief war stories while we downed an ice-cream sandwich.  82 miles to go.  :'(

SL did very well.  We had some wake-up calls on hwy 1 going out to Leggett.  Shady 15 MPH downhill corner covered in sand & gravel.   I slid through it causing me to overshoot the corner and SL did the same.  No way around it, it was everywhere.  I had another bigger scare going down hwy 20 from Willits.  One of the turns was marked as a 30 MPH.  No it's a legitimate 20 MPH.  Not sure if the front end ever broke traction, but I was already knee down and there was a sudden increase in pressure, then a release as the bike tracked back onto the road.

You guys want a complete ride report?  Tonight?!!  Forget it.  I'm buzzing still and not really thinking straight.  We played the trip by ear.  After a lazy long lunch and having had our fill of seafood, SL wanted to do the hwy 36 loop.  He's conditioning for some long rides to Oregon & beyond.  I think he's ready.  Who knew a GSX-R 600 was a touring bike. 

So off we went.  We skipped the Avenue of the Giants, but stopped in them on hwy 36 for a photo-op.

Traffic was very light and so was law enforcement.   It felt like today was law enforcement holiday.  Although we did get painted on hwy 70 on our way back.  It was close.  He threw on his lights but kept going, maybe to let us know he could have busted us.

~760 miles.  No performance awards.  No crashes.   Great seafood and scenery.   With few exceptions, everybody was polite and tried to move out of our way, but mostly traffic was light.

Need to decompress and think about all we did today.  Another unreal SSA ride.  Thanks SL.  You were great company.  I enjoyed that very much!

Pictures tomorrow.

slmoto

I'm back, not as exhausted as I thought it would have been. Definitely tired and sore but all in all a great ride. Thanks GM for going the long route, I had a great time and it was nice seeing some new roads like 36 and 70 was beautiful.

Quote from: nvgixxer on July 26, 2014, 04:32:42 PM
Both you guys are crazy, as in insane. A ride like that should be at least two, maybe three days long so riders could ride hwy 1 for as long as they wanted and kick back and relax at night in a motel, drink beer and tell war stories, etc..

Agreed and I hope to do it that way one day but today was a good taste. I have pretty good knowledge of hwy 1 from having ridden the entire thing on my bicycle, hope to do it again on the motorcycle another time. It's not going anywhere, well... unless global warming and rising sea levels swallows it up!

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

Went to bed right after my last post from last night.  I hibernated in until almost 10:00 AM this morning.   :cuckoo  More tired than I thought, but not very sore or stiff today.  My eyes are a little sunburned I can tell, but I had sunglasses on yesterday.  Guess they only protect so much.

Mel

Looks like you guys had a blast! I was seriously thinking of going but the wife and I decided to take a mini vacation to San Luis Obispo and Avila Beach. We had a great time and so did our pups who got to play in the ocean at Avila Beach. Good food, great nightlife, and ran into 3 separate old friends while down there...it is definitely a small world :)!

If you guys are really into those ultra one day rides, then I guess I better start working on one down to the Santa Cruz Mountains...sportbike heaven 8)!

Mel

RichVee4

Well done gents.  That darn close to iron butt mileage.

slmoto

Quote from: Mel on July 27, 2014, 04:21:28 PM
Looks like you guys had a blast! I was seriously thinking of going but the wife and I decided to take a mini vacation to San Luis Obispo and Avila Beach. We had a great time and so did our pups who got to play in the ocean at Avila Beach. Good food, great nightlife, and ran into 3 separate old friends while down there...it is definitely a small world :)!

If you guys are really into those ultra one day rides, then I guess I better start working on one down to the Santa Cruz Mountains...sportbike heaven 8)!

Mel

I go back to the Bay Area about once a month for work. Sometimes I fly sometimes I ride the bike, if you ever want to ride I'd definitely be interested in riding down and meeting up for a ride. I didn't have a bike when I used to live in the Bay, I know of  some of the popular rides but haven't been on them with a motorcycle but I'm always interested in new roads and scenery. Let me know if you ever want to set something up. I'll be there next in early Aug.

These long rides for are a once in a while kind of thing for me right now, until I'm able to get an additional bike. Next will be some type of touring bike. Then I'll be down to ride long distances more frequently. For now I have to ride what I have, the sportbike is not ideal for long distance but I've got to make do with what I've got until I've got something more suited.

Mel

Hey SL,

Here is the best thing you can add to your GSXR 600...LSL superbike bar kit! You can be more comfortable on the long trips and have way better control in the tight twisty stuff...especially the goat roads 8)! It's like having a sportbike and sport touring bike all in one.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=9672

Mel

RichVee4

Quote from: Mel on July 27, 2014, 11:40:19 PM
Hey SL,

Here is the best thing you can add to your GSXR 600...LSL superbike bar kit!

SL,  I put the LSL one piece bar on my VFR, had the helibars before but the new setup is much more comfortable.   GM always give me grief for my high handle bar but for longer rides it is sure comfortable.   You can check it out next ride.

http://spieglerusa.com/controls/handlebar-conversion.html

Mel

Rich, that's because GM probably couldn't drag knee with those bars :) :)!

Mel