Main Menu

Roll Call - Group Ride Yosemite National Park, Saturday 09/28/13

Started by GreenMachine, September 17, 2013, 06:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

This ride has been cancelled due to freezing conditions along the intended route.

This is the last big ride of the year and the last scheduled SSA ride for 2013.

First off, sorry for the change in schedule.  For some reason the calendar had the incorrect day for this ride.  National Public Lands Day is September 28th and admission to Yosemite and all national parks is free on that day.  It just makes sense for motorcycles, because we're each hit with a toll of $10 otherwise, while cars with 4 & 5 people in them are only charged $20.

DR and I did this ride last year and traffic was light the whole day, so everything from the ride to the hike (if you choose), are enjoyable experiences.  We'll only have two or three hours in the park before we'll need to head back.  Pace will be the same as we always do on highways, trying to keep on schedule without having to speed.   In many ways however, these straight boring rides are harder on the body than our curvy rides, simply due to the fact we won't move around much on straights.

I'd like to start as soon as possible in the early AM hours, perhaps 7:00 AM or so.  I can tolerate a brief chill in trade for more long-haul comfortable.  We'll see who's coming and figure it out from there.

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

288RR

I am really wanting to make this ride.  Im hoping on make the ride to curry village and back to lee vining,  but from there i would split off and head down to bishop. To finish off the weekend

GreenMachine

You can do that.  Are you looking to add some miles to that day's ride?  I don't think you're going to make it back to Reno by midnight.  :D
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

288RR

No i won't be heading back to reno sat.  I would head back Sunday afternoon.   
I am looking forward to this ride though.  It will be a great way to finish the year.

GreenMachine

Wish I could go every weekend.  It never works out that way though.

dub

Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

NevadaWolf

That looks like a lot of fun and I've never been to Yosemite.

For a total n00b on your rides, what's the normal pace for highways? Am I going to be able to keep up at the speed limit?

GreenMachine

It could be a lot of fun if you're prepared for what to expect.  It'll be a long monotonous ride and a long day, especially if you ride the entire day at the speed limit.   You can do that, but you'll lose touch with us and coordinating group safety will be a headache.   Yosemite has poor cell coverage and only a couple gas stations outside the park.  We'll need to keep together as much as possible, for the benefit of everyone's enjoyment and safety.

I'll be riding no faster than I normally do.  Not fast enough to stand out and not slow enough that we have to pull over to let fully loaded semis by on steep grades.  In passing zones where there is slower traffic I will try to get the group ahead of all that as safely as possible. 

The ride is about enjoying Yosemite, being within the park as long as possible and doing it all within the parameters of a one day ride.  Where opportunities present themselves outside the park, in the travel to get there and back, just figure that we won't want to waste precious time unnecessarily dilly-dallying at rest stops, feeding our faces, and talking.  We can do all that once we're there.

For reference, <here is> a link to last year's ride thread.

NevadaWolf

Alrighty.

Long days are nothing for me, but the speed limit +/- 5-10 is the max I will do. So, since it sounds like I'd be on my lonesome at the back end of the group, I'll just wait and read the ride report afterwards.

Have a fun trip!!

GreenMachine

NW, I wanted you to know what you were in for beforehand.  Nothing worse than building yourself up for expectations that aren't what you thought.  Riding by day and making it as far north as possible before dark is key to avoiding encounters with deer and other wildlife.  That's the whole reason for keeping a decent pace.  I hate encounters with wildlife.  It doesn't turn out well for us or them.

That said, Lee Vining has motels.  If you were able to head over the night before, we could pick you up there on Saturday morning and head on in to the East entrance.  The park's maximum speed limit is 45 MPH.  A thought.

NevadaWolf

No prob, appreciate the honesty. That's actually why I tend to avoid group rides, cause I know I'm not willing to ride fast. I'm steady and consistent but not quick. ;D

Eh, if timing works out and I knock of the last few motels I've stayed at off my credit card, I'll puddle on down there and meet you all. Otherwise, I may go play over the passes before Ma Nature decides to close them for the season. Going to get new tires that will need some breaking in.

Mel

Hey NevadaWolf,

If you ever want to ride, give me a holler. I promise I won't leave you behind and will let you set the pace. I'm probably the oldest guy on here, but still a kid at heart and always ready to ride. I know lots of cool roads to check out so anytime you're ready.

Mel

NevadaWolf

Mel,

I'm totally down for that. And I think I may be developing a love for those narrow back country mountain roads you like. Like N South Road. :D

288RR

Come on everyone.  I know you all want to go on this ride to finish off this riding year with a bang.

RichVee4

I am on call that weekend so need to stay close to home, darn it.   Sounds like a great ride!!
Live long and prosper \V/