Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

2015 Trackday Thread

Started by Tahoebrian5, May 29, 2015, 08:26:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dub

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on July 31, 2015, 10:31:37 AMYou have any track days planned dub?

Keigwins @ Sears Point, Monday 8/17. Have you ridden Sears? You will like it because it is tight and technical. Much lower speeds than Thunderhill 3 mile course.

Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

Tahoebrian5

I've not, but it's on my short list of things to do. I do like tight n slow better than high speed! I'm working on getting set up with generator and tire warmers. Also got aGPX Pro lap timer and data acquisition setup sitting in my garage ready to install. I'll see if I can make it. Any recommendations for tire warmers? Do I need dual temps or will I be fine with a single temp?.. Maybe the motoZ brand.. has pretty good reviews for less money than the big names.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

dub

You know what dual temp is good for? Turning them down to low at lunch then forgetting about it until 3 minutes before your session.

dub

I'll be at Thunderhill (3 mile east course) Oct 17/18 with Keigwins if anyone else wants to come get some track time as the season winds down.

GreenMachine

Way better weatherwise for that time of the year than July.  For those wanting to up their skills, this would be the time and Dub would be the guy to show the proper lines on track.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

slmoto

Quote from: dub on October 05, 2015, 12:06:00 PM
I'll be at Thunderhill (3 mile east course) Oct 17/18 with Keigwins if anyone else wants to come get some track time as the season winds down.

I'm tempted, I'll have to see if I can work it out.

Dub, I notice they don't offer a C group, from what you've seen of my riding do you think I could manage the B- group or should I keep looking for a C group first? I have some track experience in a car so I'm somewhat familiar with the format but I haven't been to the track yet on a motorcycle and I don't want to be in peoples way if I'm not up to pace for a B- group.

dub

Keigwins used to not take riders without previous track experience. That's why they called it the B- group; it was supposed to denote a step up from C group. However, that is no longer the case. It's just a C group by another name. I guarantee you wont be the slowest rider there.

GreenMachine

Given that he doesn't crash or hasn't yet on the street, despite lots of opportunities, and he followed Dragon and I on Hwy1 Leggett, I'd say he's in the C+ territory.   Better than most C's, just needs to get comfortable with braking & apexing his bike on the fast line around others doing the same.

If it's as Dub says, this would be an excellent opportunity to go.

Oh help us all after Oct 18th though if you do.   :terrified  I'll sweep from now on.  ;)

:grnbike          :ylwbike2

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

slmoto

Thanks for the clarification. I'm going to try and make it but I won't know for sure until later in the week.

dub

Let me know if you're gonna come; we'll pit together.

slmoto

Sounds good. I'll let you know. I'm waiting on supplies for a large order I need to get out prior to that date. If the supplies come before this Friday I can go if not I'm going to have to pass. I'll let you know how it pans out by the end of this Friday.

slmoto

No luck on UPS today, I'm going to have to pass I'll most likely be working that weekend now. :'(

Are you going to be at any of the Nov. dates at Thunderhill?

I'm kind of eyeing the Laguna Seca days, I usually go back to the Bay Area for Thanksgiving so it would be an easy one for me to get to. Would it be a bad idea to do Laguna Seca as a first track day? I get kind of intimidated because it's such an iconic track but it's still just a track just like any other, no?

dub

No, I don't think I'll be able to make any of those days. 11/21 & 22 is possible; depends on when the ski resorts open up. This next weekend might be my last time on track for this season. It will be day number 23 & 24.

No reason Laguna can't be your first; go for it.

GreenMachine

I understand there's some video footage pending from Saturday.

slmoto

Quote from: GreenMachine on November 11, 2015, 09:39:32 PM
I understand there's some video footage pending from Saturday.

If you're referring to RG and I you'll have to ask him. And, good luck with him actually seeing this post...
I took a couple pics but nothing too exciting.