Main Menu

Weekend ride ideas? 09/20/14 - 09/21/14

Started by GreenMachine, September 16, 2014, 07:58:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

For obvious reasons, I canceled the MRR - Icehouse ride scheduled for Sunday.  No sense in congesting the area where fire crews are trying to work.

So in the absence of a scheduled ride, I'm opening it up for ideas.  We could do something short, like VC & Dayton, ride hwy 49 to Nevada City, get a late start and enjoy the BBQ place in Sierraville, try something new in Portola, have ice cream in Chilcoot after a quick buzz up to Frenchman's, etc. 

Sonora pass?  Burgers in Bridgeport?  The Bodie ghost town?

Saturday is said to be 86* and Sunday 89, so fairly hot still.

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

slmoto

Sonora Pass sounds interesting to me, I've only done it in a car not on a bike yet.

That'd be my vote but I'll be up for pretty much anything.

288RR

I haven't done Sonora yet either,  but I'm not positive if I can make it.

GreenMachine

I haven't been on Sonora for quite some time.   I'm game.

What else?
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Mel

Big Hill Rd. into Columbia ;)! Do a search on Google maps and then ride the road on street view 8)! Got some friends back home that love that road, and no it's not a goat road :)!

Mel

Tahoebrian5

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

GreenMachine

Don't you think the daylight hours are a little short for that?  Besides, hwy 36 is beat up.

Mel, if you say it's not a goat road, there's an implied 'trust me' in there.  Which can only mean one thing; it's a goat road by our definition.  Were you just throwing it out there or were you suggesting you'd like to ride it this weekend?

slmoto

GM glad you brought up the daylight issue. 36/Tioga that Tahoebrian mentioned was sounding good but I could already feel my a$$ getting sore just thinking about it. And, I was hoping my rear tire made it through the rest of the summer but that ride may use it all up.

What about Tioga and Sonora, out one back the other? Same with Sonora I've only done Tioga in a car as well. Can you keep moving on Tioga or are there a lot of cars, cops, rangers...?

Mel

GM, don't be lazy...check it out on Google Maps, and like I said, you can actually ride this road on "street view" 8). As you will see, it is a 2 lane with centerline road and definitely not a goat road ;)!

I cannot ride this Sunday, as I have a family get together BBQ that I "have" to go to >:(! I will be riding Big Hill road before the season is out for sure!

Mel

288RR

with tioga.  this time of year im sure there will tons of cars going into the park.  and its about 2.5/3 hours just to get to tioga pass. 

dub

I'm available to ride this Sunday. Shocking, I know.

Let's do the 3 passes ride.

(Ebbets, Sonora, Monitor for those that aren't familiar with that term.)
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

slmoto

Quote from: dub on September 17, 2014, 10:12:09 AM
I'm available to ride this Sunday. Shocking, I know.

Let's do the 3 passes ride.

(Ebbets, Sonora, Monitor for those that aren't familiar with that term.)

I like the sounds of this ride, it's my new vote.

Tahoebrian5

Sounds awesome, I'm in. Btw... 36 to Tioga.. Joking! I'm so misunderstood
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

slmoto

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on September 17, 2014, 02:32:26 PM

This is my first season, you guys got Fort Bragg and back in one day on the schedule, so one never knows. Thought maybe you were trying to hit 1k mi in one day.

dub

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on September 17, 2014, 02:32:26 PM

Or maybe we believe you are just crazy enough to try.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019