Main Menu

Wednesday Ride 1/4/12

Started by Tahoebrian5, January 03, 2012, 05:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tahoebrian5

I rode geiger today and it was in better condition than all summer. I think that is a sign that I need to ride all day tomorrow  ;D

If anyone wants to tag along I'll hangout at the northwest starbucks and plan on heading out at 10am.

Destination: Mesquito ridge road, according to the SCR guys it is good to go.

I was toying with the idea of going via downieville but am uncertain on sand conditions. Anyone have any info? otherwise maybe just slab down 80.

If it's not gonna snow Im gonna ride!!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

GreenMachine

Wish I could go, but with 4-day work weeks the last two weeks, it's a little hard to justify creating another at the last minute.

Yesterday when I road VC's truck route I was a lot more hesitant, but I think you're right, VC to Reno is mostly clean.  Cold tires and unfamiliarity with the conditions played a major part too, but that wasn't stopping some other sport riders from bombing through the turns.  There is some patchy sand just up between the highlands and the summit, in the corners.  The Truck Route on the other side is very sandy at the moment.

Can't help you on the conditions of Yuba Pass.  I would assume caution in all the tight stuff would be the smart plan.  Watch for rocks that may cut your tire, but if you do, call me and I'll come pick you up.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Tahoebrian5

Thanks GM. I'm hoping that won't be necessary though;)

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

Tahoebrian5

Revising to 11am start in case anyone is planning on going.. it's a bit nipply rights now

Tahoebrian5

Had a good ride but downieville was a mistake. Had to tiptoe over sand and in some places frosty turns. there were some really good sections also though. All in all a really fun ride. I'm gonna do it again probably friday minus dville.

GreenMachine

:P How far up MRR did you make it?  That road can be treacherous too.  Glad to hear you were able to make a good safe ride of it though.  Really glad I didn't have to come rescue you.   :D

Ran into RG500nut at lunch today and told him about your workday hookey ride.  Both of us wished we could have joined you.

Can you tell we're jealous?
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Tahoebrian5

Never actually made it to MRR due to slow going. I'm gonna head down Friday and report back. Man, it was absolutely perfect riding from colfax west!

KKM

If this weather keeps up like this I may have to put my dirt boots away early.

Brian, did you decide on a suit yet ?

Kevin
2009 Aprilia RSV1000R
2012 KTM990R ADV
2013 KTM 500XCW

Tahoebrian5

So, I went again yesterday. MRR was in great shape. Coulda made it all the way but stopped at the little bride just short of the reservoir cause was getting a bit dirty. Man, unbelievable for January! No on the suit, I spent all my money on a stupid tv. But the motogp season is gonna look really good.

GreenMachine

Brian,

I ordered a chest and back protector, but how does yours fit?  I ordered a large and it fits like an X-small.  I feel like Andre the Giant in the thing.

BTW, bad move on the TV.  Can't imagine those would set you back that much anyway.  42" are like $400 now aren't they?

Tahoebrian5

I have the alpinstars chest. Im not sure what size but fits perfect. I was told it might be a bit bulky to use in a one piece suit so might have to change up at some point. Dropped 2k on the 55" LCD with theatre sound.. Ouch!

GreenMachine

Tahoebrian5

I've been told girth is more important then length

GreenMachine

I think mine has you covered there as well, it's an old style rear projection TV.   :P