Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

Tires

Started by Mel, October 27, 2012, 06:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mel

Hey guys,

I reckon I'll keep the chit chat going with some tire talk. The latest issue of Sport Rider (Dec 2012) just hit the stands and they have a cool sport tire shootout. I guess the best thing I liked about the article is the number one tire in the test was the Dunlop Q2's, and that's what I'm running 8). The Metzeler Sportec M5's that I tried out before this set of Q2's I'm running didn't fare too well in the test and the testers echoed my feelings about their performance. That's why I took them off with still a 1,000 miles left on them awhile ago, and went back to the Q2's which work outstanding on the backroads.

What tires are you guys currently running on your bike, and how are they working out for you? What was the reason you went with that choice? What is the primary feature that you base your choice on...price, mileage, or performance?

I've run 8 sets of tires on my FZ6 and because I don't use it to commute or sport tour, tire performance is always my first priority. I get about 3500 miles max from the tires I have used. I've used the following, and in parenthesis is the performance rating I gave the 5 of them for the type of riding I do.

-3 sets of Dunlop Q2's (1)
-2 sets of Pirelli Corsa III's (2)
-1 set of Bridgestone 016's (3)
-1 set Metzeler Sportec M5's (4)
-1 set stock tires (5)

How about you guys?

Mel

dub

Pirelli Angel. All the grip I need on the street and lasts longer than hypersport tires.

Edit: on my second set.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

KKM

All Q2s this year. Four sets got me through 4 track days and all the summer riding. I have no complaints on these tires.
Kevin
2009 Aprilia RSV1000R
2012 KTM990R ADV
2013 KTM 500XCW

Mel

Cool, another Q2 fan! I can add something else that wasn't in that tire test, the Q2's work outstanding in the rain at a spirited pace 8).

Mel