Main Menu

RFR Mini-Bowl...What's the best line?

Started by independent, August 19, 2009, 02:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

independent

I had fun at the july SSA day, so I'm going to try & come out for the SSA day on sept 26/27, probably with the Triumph 600 again.

Any advice on the mini-bowl?  I'd like to focus on that turn next time.

And that damned bumpy back straight-is there any good line through that mess?

Yard Sale

STAR school guys like to stay low all through the bowl. Dan Sewell likes to aim high toward the cone then cut down.

As for sunset straight.... Exit turn 11 aiming for the cone so you drift wide. If you are really slow and bad on the brakes just stay in the right 8 ft of the track all the way. If not, drift back over to half track so you are left of the raked (dark) asphalt. Get on the brakes where the raked asphalt starts (roll off before it). Ease off the brakes before the trench (aka railroad tracks) to gain a little more suspension, cuz you'll need it.

Here's a Zoom Zoom instructor (Shawn) on video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px8MNENmdO8

If all that fails, pin the throttle WFO and pitch it in to turn 12 at the last minute like this guy....

Justin

edmunsan

What bumpy section? Just kidding.Ya know I think I like some bumpy sections. Adds charachter to the track, it can improve my ability to have fun on worse tracks. 8-16 09 was my first ever track day. Plan on going Sept.
MOTOISM my desease from wich there is no cure.

dmh2000

On turn 21/Bowl, Doug Polen took the low line right on the edge with a slight drift out in the middle to create a very slight double apex.
dave

MotoPutz

Quote from: dmh2000 on August 20, 2009, 08:54:25 AM
Doug Polen took the low line right on the edge with a slight drift out in the middle to create a very slight double apex.

Not sure what you mean...

Can you draw it?

n10sive

Quote from: Putz on August 20, 2009, 09:33:32 AM
Quote from: dmh2000 on August 20, 2009, 08:54:25 AM
Doug Polen took the low line right on the edge with a slight drift out in the middle to create a very slight double apex.

Can you draw it?

Sounds the same as the suggested way to take 2.
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

MotoPutz

n10sive

a lot of people talk of taking all the 180's at RFR (12, bowl, 2 etc) as double apexes. I hear that is OK for larger liter bikes, but not so good for smaller bikes like the SV's and two smokers. I noticed all the USGPRU kids just riding around them....FAST LOL

BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

Adiggity

Quote from: n10sive on August 20, 2009, 09:42:42 AM
Sounds the same as the suggested way to take 2.
That is the way I take it, only I do not drift out as wide mid-corner as I do in turn two. I stay within, I'd say, 5'-6' of the inside of the track when drifting out mid-corner. Enter tight and exit tighter with a late apex. That is if we are talking about "the bowl" (turn 21). Not sure if that is the corner your talking about or not.

Justin

Quote from: Putz on August 20, 2009, 09:44:32 AM
Are we talking about 12 or the bowl?
we're talking about the bowl, cuz Polen was kinda all over the place on 12 until I sorted him out.

:D :D :D

Adiggity

Can you draw it?
LOL!! This is funny, but this will show you I tried. I think you can get the idea. Don't follow this "exactly" but you asked for a pic.  :D

XIII

I roughly have the same line as andy but I don't apex the turn until the last bend. So, basically, no double apexing and staying mid line until a late apex to get the drive out of the bowl.

99 900ss duc

Quote from: Adiggity on August 20, 2009, 12:26:36 PM

Can you draw it?
LOL!! This is funny, but this will show you I tried. I think you can get the idea. Don't follow this "exactly" but you asked for a pic.  :D

[/quote

i have the wobbly part down

Adiggity