Main Menu

Newbie track day down shifting question.

Started by oldBolt, August 18, 2009, 12:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldBolt

On my first track day 08/16/2009 I found one of my first issues to improve is my down shifting.
When I attempted it, I found my trying to burp the engine and shift was not working. As a result I pretty much just keep the bike in second gear.  That wasn't really bad as there so much to take in on the first time second gear speeds was enough.   But by the end of the day I could see that I really need the down shifting skill.  Because of the issues I was having with matching rpms I seemed to have to bring the bike to a much slower speed to down shift smoothly.  Can someone explain down shifting and matching engine speed and rpms?   Maybe I don't understand burp the engine.  I think it means to quickly add throttle and release it.  Anyway can some assist me in grasping the sequence of inputs (ranges too) to allow me to down shift without upsetting the bike?  How should I be doing this?
"I have inhaled, exhaled everything." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

JENX!!!

It takes practice to get it right., I had the same problem before., I coundt grab the brake lever and turn the throttle at the same time., I replaced my levers with the pazzo adjustables and it made it easier because the lever is closer to my hand. ;D
Hi my name is jenx and im a track junky.....

Adiggity

^^^ Yessir. It's just one of those things you have to practice. I couldn't hit a 15' bank shot consistently until I practiced. Usually because you are braking hard and trying to blip the throttle at the same time it is not something that can just be done easily and smoothly the first time. Then you throw in the fact that you are approaching a corner quickly and you have to turn just makes it even worse. Just keep working on it and trying to clean it up and you will eventually get it right. Even if you have to slow down to get it right. The other option is to install a slipper clutch. Then you don't have to worry about matching the rpm's.

Justin

It's made a slightly slower process with gp shift which is still brand new for you.
patience young Jedi

oldBolt

"I have inhaled, exhaled everything." - Arnold Schwarzenegger