Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

speed shifting

Started by Yard Sale, August 05, 2009, 12:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yard Sale

At my last trackday some guys were not speed shifting because they did not know how.

It's just clutchless upshifting. Roll off the gas briefly and shift up without the clutch before getting back on the gas.

You don't need the clutch to shift up. (You do need it for downshifting!) It doesn't hurt your transmission and you can practice it on your streetbike. I don't recommend it for the 1-2 upshift (too much torque and too easy to get neutral).

This is how us poor folk without quickshifters get down the straights.

zipbyu

That is about right.  I do speed shift down on the dirt bike often, but on the course you don't want to loose rear wheel traction, of course unless your backing it in but then you are using the clutch anyway.

Justin

I don't perform the clutchless down shift on the track at all.  Upshifting on the straights about 50% of the time
I'm not convinced it's faster, though. The slight decrease in throttle, as you describe, may negate the time saved from not using the clutch

reno240sx

I don't usually do it from 1st to 2nd, but all the other gears I do. I think it might be faster than using the clutch. I like it because not using the clutch means one less thing to think about.

MotoPutz

I don't really think about it so I'm not sure when I do it. I pretty fast on the clutch but I know I don't use my clutch much on my dirtbike and don't use it sometimes on my CBR. Just whatever my hands decide at the moment I guess....

Justin

Quote from: Putz on August 06, 2009, 05:02:08 PM
Just whatever my hands decide at the moment I guess....
That's what got the Kennedy's into so much trouble.
No means no, Luke