Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

Aug 16 SSA Track Day

Started by Rick Bay (BRA), July 31, 2009, 09:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Bay (BRA)

Aug 16 track day is coming. Iupiii

I would like to know if we can camping Saturday night? So much better when we sleep on the track.

Who else is going?

Also how much I can trusty on 2CT Michelin Tires? Some people said these tires are good for track and others said 2CTs are bad and old. I just bought a set before last track day and I crashed on turn 9A because I acelerated too much I think. Well with different tires it would not heppen? Tks 

yzinger

2ct's are an amazing tire, but you will outride them on the track. on the street, nothing better. What I would suggest is going to one of our local shops and using a race "take off" and keeping your 2ct for the street. that way you can have fun on the track, and still preserve those expensive street tires.

D1NO

+1... Great tires, but you're just getting too fast Rick. ;D

Rick Bay (BRA)

The only problem Jason is the money. I just bought a set of tires and I'm not prepered to spend almost US 500 again I should think about that before because I have already at home another set of 2CTs not good for the the track but in very good conditions for the street.  So you think 2CTs are a good tires to the track, right? Thanks Jason :)

Dino you are my buddy.  :P I'm still larning... ::)

cobra23

Good news for me....

Yup will not be able to make it to this track day because i am picking up an R-6 (older) from buddy Dunnellthenut in Washington that week. He has made me a really good deal on it. Can't wait to get it out there!!

Ahhh a track bike, no more worry about dropping the Ducati!! ;D

Rick Bay (BRA)

right on Cobra...  :)  ;)
But the way "cobra" in Portuguese means "snake" in English.

Rick Bay (BRA)

n10sive

I will be in town...but not sure if my bike will be ready or not. I might 'work' it or just come out and hang with peeps.
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

Adiggity

Quote from: Rick Tahoe on August 01, 2009, 10:37:14 PM
The only problem Jason is the money. I just bought a set of tires and I'm not prepered to spend almost US 500 again I should think about that before because I have already at home a set of 2CTs not good for the the track but in very good conditions for the street.  So you think 2CTs are a good tires to the track, right? Thanks Jason :)

Dino you are my buddy.  :P I'm still larning... ::)
Rick, imo, the Pilot Power is a good tire. As long as it's not old in the aspect that it has been sitting in the sun for a significant amount of time, they should be just fine. You just keep working on being smooth and your reference points. Don't worry so much about the tires. It is very common for people to try and make excuses for crashing other than the most likely cause. And that is the rider. I am not saying that you are trying to do that, just making a general statement. I think you had it right at the beginning. Too much throttle coming out of the corner for the amount of lean angle you had. Next time either pick up the bike a bit or don't give it so much throttle. The sooner you take the blame and figure out what you did wrong, the sooner you can fix the problem and prevent it from happening again. 

P.S. take offs are about $100-$150 for a set. If you are interested I have a couple sets.

Dragone

I am shooting for the 16th as well.  Since I did not fall down, the wife said that maybe I can use the extra practice.  lol

cobra23

Quote from: Rick Tahoe on August 02, 2009, 07:54:20 AM
right on Cobra...  :)  ;)
But the way "cobra" in Portuguese means "snake" in English.

I can deal with that  lol.....

Infantry Definition: C Co. 1/161 Hooahhhh!

Rick Bay (BRA)

Hey Andy, thanks for your explanation. Interesting thing the "take offs" tires. But the way, how many track days or laps I can make with a set?  Also how much to put them on? They are kind of slick, used tires or what? Thanks

Adiggity

Quote from: Rick Tahoe on August 03, 2009, 10:40:35 PM
Hey Andy, thanks for your explanation. Interesting thing the "take offs" tires. But the way, how many track days or laps I can make with a set?  Also how much to put them on? They are kind of slick, used tires or what? Thanks

No problem buddy. I can usually get 3 to 4 trackdays on a set of take offs. But it all depends on the pace of the rider who is using them. The harder you ride with them the shorter they will last, just like any tire. I have a tire machine, so I can put them on for free. Just need your wheels. You can probably talk with 2wcp or SPL and I'm sure they will give you a good deal too, since they are closer.

"Take offs" refers to tires that have been raced and then taken off. Most people who race change their tires every race weekend so they have maximum grip at all times. The tires are still good and have a lot of life left just not the maximum grip that some racers need. They usually have about 15 to 30 laps on them total. Some can be slicks, others can be DOT's. Mine are DOT's. I have some Bridgestone BT003's and Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa's. I think I may have a set of Dunlop 209's as well.

2wcp

2 Wheel Custom Performance
2536 Sutro St Suite 12
Reno, NV 89512
775-303-1857
steve@2wcp.com
www.2wcp.com
Tues-Fri 10a-6p
Sat 10a-5p

Adiggity

120/70 fronts and I have 180 and 190 rears