Main Menu

Big Loop Ride Sun 8/24 *Route has been changed to Sunday!

Started by Mel, August 21, 2014, 08:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mel

Hey guys,

This is another option for a ride if you're not doing the Grass Valley ride. This ride is for the more adventurous types that want a mixture of all types of roads, from smooth and fast, to bumpy and goaty. This will be about a 400 mile day that will depart at 8:00am from Starbucks off of 80 on McCarran. I will be riding a quick pace, but all riders are welcome, and I will stop at all junctions or turn offs so no one gets left behind. If you want to experience some new roads and see some beautiful country, this ride is for you...trust me ;)!

The route will be over 80 and then do a quick goat road tune up on Norton Grade Rd into Colfax. Then into Auburn and get on 49 south. We'll take a left at Cool on 193 through Georgetown and turn off on the Rock Creek/Mosquito Rd loop down into Placerville. From there we will keep going south on 49 to Plymouth and turn off on Fiddletown Rd. Take that down and turn right on Hale Rd down to Shake Ridge Rd. Then head up Shake Ridge to make a right on Rams Horn Grade down into Volcano. We'll take Pioneer Volcano Rd to 88 then jump immediately onto Hwy 26. Down 26 we'll go for a ways and then turn left onto Jesus Maria Rd. We take that to Railroad Flat Rd where we go right and then down to Sheep Ranch Rd to the left and on into Murphys. From Murphys we'll head up 4 (Ebbetts Pass) all the way to 89. From 89 we'll see where we are on time and either head up 89 to 88 into Carson City, or stay east on 89 and head over Monitor to 395.

This ride will have minimal stops, pretty much gas and a stop for lunch somewhere. There won't be time for "action corner shots" or anything like that :)! So if you're tired of the same 'ol same 'ol and want to broaden your riding experience by riding on all types of roads, this ride is for you. I will be down at Starbucks at 7:45am and leave at 8:00am...be there and have a real adventure ;)!

Mel

Mel

Cool, 3 for sures so far...me, myself, and Mel :)!

GreenMachine

:-*

WTH!?  Not totally my cup of tea, but if you did it on Sunday, I'd be up for that, time and everything.  I've already committed to Saturday's ride and I have to meet up with a friend after that ride in Truckee, so I have to be up that way regardless.

Sunday?
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

That's gonna be a really fun loop. Wish I could go.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

Mel

Hey GM, I can change it to Sunday no problem! Thanks for being a trooper and I think you will enjoy the route 8)! Hell, for you we can even make a couple stops for photos :)! Hopefully, some others will be up for the adventure!

Mel

GreenMachine

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Mel

GreenMachine

That's worrying. My antenna go up when anybody says "trust me."  :P

Mel

GreenMachine

What interests me on this ride is I'll be riding on some of the same roads I've ridden on my bicycle.  Revisiting them on the motorcycle and maybe spotting some future winery stops will be the highlight for me.  Beautiful countryside.

dub

Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

Mel

That can't be you because the guy ain't dragging knee :)!

Mel

GM, if you like wine and wine tasting, then you will love the little town of Murphys! I think it has something like 20 tasting shops on Main St. ;)! Do a Google street view of Main St!

http://visitmurphys.com/category/business-directory/wine-tasting/

Mel

GreenMachine

Scott Harvey has a place in Sutter that I have yet to visit too.  I haven't found anything he makes I'd rate less than a 'I really like.'  He's sold his excess to Folie a Deux if that gives you an idea of his craft.  I like their wines too.

As soon as my wine inventory subsides, I plan on doing some restocking with just his stuff and others from that region.