Main Menu

Tank Bag, Tail Bag, or Backpack?

Started by Mel, August 17, 2014, 11:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

Quote from: Mel on August 18, 2014, 10:41:34 AM
Yeah, I know how you ride GM, but it sure is fun pushing your buttons :) :) :)!!

Mel
Naa!  You just give me extra reasons to post videos of myself.   :CoU
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Mel

GM, you gotta quit trying to pretend you're a MotoGp rider on the street by laying on the tank all the time and hanging off dragging knee :o! You're giving guys like us who obey all the laws a bad name with the LEO :)!! Sit more upright, hang off a bit but never touch a knee down, put your stock exhaust back on, wear textiles instead of leather, and look more civilized with a tank bag on your Kawi LOL!!! But of course, no one could ride fast by doing all that :)!

Mel

RocketRider

I prefer tank bag, never had a tail bag to try.
Back packs fatigue my shoulders, never had a tank bag give me issues unless it was COMPLETELY stuffed (as in I have to undo the secondary zipper to allow the bag to expand vertically)
PIN IT TO WIN IT!

Please support my race team Rocket Pace Racing!https://www.facebook.com/RocketPaceRacing
We're accepting everything from Sponsors, to Facebook likes, to simple pats on the back :)

Thank you Apex-Speed and EBC Brakes for supporting our efforts to go faster!

cobra23

wOW !! Ok I like the photo of the girl in leather.

Yes. I will choose that one.

I have a tank bag and soft saddle bags for the Ducati. You fellas have yet to mention what 30 or 40 pounds sitting right on the tail does to the weight transfer of the bike during braking and acceleration.

The tank and saddle bags if needed, keep the weigh more "center mass".

What is phone number of leather lady?

dub

Why would you be bringing 30 or 40 pounds on a day ride up to the mountain twisties?
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

RocketRider

Quote from: dub on August 19, 2014, 08:02:42 AM
Why would you be bringing 30 or 40 pounds on a day ride up to the mountain twisties?
^ This. Though I am going on a camping trip and will be packing a decent amount of luggage for it...not quite sure it'll hit 40 lbs though  ;)
PIN IT TO WIN IT!

Please support my race team Rocket Pace Racing!https://www.facebook.com/RocketPaceRacing
We're accepting everything from Sponsors, to Facebook likes, to simple pats on the back :)

Thank you Apex-Speed and EBC Brakes for supporting our efforts to go faster!

flamecrow

Quote from: NevadaWolf on August 18, 2014, 09:34:53 AM
I see you don't like getting over the tail bag so thought I'd share something.

I have a tail bag crammed full of repair supplies as it'd take hours for rescue where I typically ride. When I was visiting friends, I mounted the bike and both of them started cracking up laughing at my style. I treat my bike like a horse, left foot onto peg first to stand up and get the extra height to get my leg over the bag.

(Was also advised this was the best way to mount a fully farkled and loaded long distance rally bike due to the load on the back.)

Ah now I remember where I've seen this motion, Rich's Monica does this technique with her Triumph :)

And I also agree, backpacks = fatique. I was looking at a tail bag a few days ago, I think I'd much rather have a tail bag than tank bag only because having something on top of the tank, big or small, seems to already be in the way for me.

PS - #1 choice would be the leather lady though, let me know where I can get one

RichVee4

Whenever I try getting off/on Monica's bike I forget about the tail bag and always kick it.   A small tank bag works perfect for me.  I like the type that mount to the gas cap ring, that way no scratching the paint from the magnetic straps on the tank.  Doesn't get in the way at all.  I can carry just enough for a day trip and its easy to access without getting off the bike.   It even has a clear map pocket I can attach if I need to look at directions or a map.

Live long and prosper \V/

slmoto

I just used this set up on a trip to Portland and back. It held 5 days of stuff (which any tank bag that I would want to be able to see over wouldn't do) and was so snug to the bike it felt like it was part of the bike. I could notice a slight difference in the weight being up there at times but what can you do, got to ride what I have for now until I can add a proper touring bike to the garage.

Mel

slmoto,

Soft saddlebags would have better weight distribution like these Cortech bags:

http://www.cortechperformance.com/product/Luggage/Super_2_0_36L_Saddlebags/380/31

If you needed even more space, then a low profile tailbag would be a good addition.

Mel

slmoto

Quote from: Mel on August 28, 2014, 10:36:54 PM
slmoto,

Soft saddlebags would have better weight distribution like these Cortech bags:

http://www.cortechperformance.com/product/Luggage/Super_2_0_36L_Saddlebags/380/31

If you needed even more space, then a low profile tailbag would be a good addition.

Mel

Yeah, that probably would have been a better solution. I probably would have got something like that had I done any research. I bought the tail bag on a whim the last time I was riding back from the Bay Area because I was passing Cycle Gear in Sac and was tired of carrying my backpack all the way so I just stopped in an bought whatever. That trip had I had a lot of weight in my backpack so it was starting to wear on me. This Portland trip it was mainly clothes so while it looks quite large it didn't weigh all that much but still saddle bag style probably would have been better.

NevadaWolf

So here's what I did on my big trip. Not a lot of weight, I think the heaviest bag was my tag bag. The rest had either clothes or food in it.

dub

SL, I have a set of those Cortech saddle bags Mel linked that I don't use anymore. Let me know if you want them for much, much less than $160.

Also, what route did you take up to Portland? I did a trip up to the Pacific Northwest last summer and rode some most excellent roads in Oregon east of the Cascades.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

NevadaWolf

If SL isn't interested in them, I am.

Mine work but if there is an upgrade available, I'll take it. :)

slmoto

Quote from: dub on August 29, 2014, 09:13:41 AM
SL, I have a set of those Cortech saddle bags Mel linked that I don't use anymore. Let me know if you want them for much, much less than $160.

Thanks, I was going to say I'd give it some thought but looks like Nevadawolf could use them, go for them Nevadawolf. The tailbag I have is not the best solution but it did get the job done and I don't have any other long trips planned so I can go with what I've got for now.

Quote from: dub on August 29, 2014, 09:13:41 AM
Also, what route did you take up to Portland? I did a trip up to the Pacific Northwest last summer and rode some most excellent roads in Oregon east of the Cascades.

Here is pretty much the route  I took. https://goo.gl/maps/77K2C

On the way to Portland I stayed the night in Bend then continued on to Portland, I had to be in Portland at 10:30am which was why I didn't go the whole way. On the way back I was trying to make it back all the way but got caught in the dark and got tired of riding in the dark and ended up staying in Susanville. I know, practically home by then but I started coming across more and  more animals on or crossing the road and it just seemed sketchy so I got a room for the night and got back to Reno early the next morning. Both ways I had more backroads planned but got late starts and had to cut some out. All in all it was a great trip, 242 north of bend was the highlight both in terms of scenery and twisties (thanks for the heads up on  that one Craig)

What was some of the roads better roads you hit East of the Cascades?