Main Menu

Tank Bag, Tail Bag, or Backpack?

Started by Mel, August 17, 2014, 11:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mel

Hey guys,

What do you prefer to carry your gear in for a day in the mountains...tank bag, tail bag, or backpack? This question is not for those of you that have hard luggage on your bikes, or set up for overnights...just a simple, one day nylon solution ;)!

The next question is two part...why, and what do you typically carry for a one day romp in the hills?

I'll start if off by saying I prefer a tank bag, but will use a backpack if I need layers for colder weather. I don't like tail bags solely because with my super short legs, it's a hassle trying to swing over to get on the bike :)! I have been using tank bags the longest, as I started using them in the mid 70's before they became vogue. In one of the photos below, I have one on my RD400 Daytona in 1979, but had been using them a few years before that.

First photo is tank bag on my Daytona, second one is the tank bag I use now, and the third one is with a small backpack (one of my designs).

Mel

I could only load 3 photos, so this last one is what I typically carry for a day in my tank bag.

GreenMachine

I'll probably never own a tank bag for the simple reason it would be in my way.  Can't corner with it there and can't relax on straights with it there.  That's just the way it is on my bike.

Day trips, there's usually enough room under the pillion seat for a camera, water, cellphone, tire patch kit, tools, etc.  Most overnight or three day weekend trips I take a school backpack spider bungied to the tail.  This also works for day trips to Yosemite or Sierra Buttes, if I'm hiking with my gear stored in the backpack.  I'm not leaving my gear sitting on my bike, so a backpack is the logical choice.

Over time, having the gear over the tail has proven to be the best compromise for getting my gear to the destination without sacrificing riding appeal once we get to the twisties.  And that's big, b/c if I can't have fun in the twisties, I might as well just drive.

I don't see a change it these requirements anytime soon.  Although on some of our trips I have taken advantage of DR's extra hard case storage to lighten my backpack's payload.  Thanks DR!

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

slmoto

I just bought a tail bag about a week ago. I actually bought it at cycle gear on the way back from a trip to the Bay Area because the weight of the backpack was wearing on me over that distance. I bought one of the larger ones (25L, expands to 40L) because I have anther trip to Portland this weekend and need to fit 5 days of stuff and after riding to the Bay with a backpack I surely didn't want to carry the backpack all the way to Portland and back.

I don't like the idea of all the plastic fasteners so I'm going to replace them with leather and metal fasteners since I have all the tools and supplies in my leather shop. As well as customize the mounting points a bit to fit my bike specifically.

Other than that I love it so far, it's so much nicer and cooler in the hot weather than having a backpack on. I wish I had bought one sooner since my car broke down and I've been commuting, grocery shopping... on my bike.

GreenMachine

Quote from: slmoto on August 18, 2014, 08:23:43 AM
...I don't like the idea of all the plastic fasteners so I'm going to replace them with leather and metal fasteners since I have all the tools and supplies in my leather shop...
I'll bet you do!!!   :P

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

slmoto

Quote from: GreenMachine on August 18, 2014, 08:43:31 AM
Quote from: slmoto on August 18, 2014, 08:23:43 AM
...I don't like the idea of all the plastic fasteners so I'm going to replace them with leather and metal fasteners since I have all the tools and supplies in my leather shop...
I'll be you do!!!   :P

I think I need to return my tail bag and get a tank bag so I can fit her on the back of my bike instead of a stupid bag. Much more interesting than the leather product I work with!

Mel

Thanks for the responses guys! I have run tail bags before and like the whole concept of them, but like I said, when I would get on my bike I would have to go into contortions to slip my short leg between the tank and tail bag to get on the bike :)!

Yes, backpacks can get uncomfortable if you have a lot of weight in them, and the heat can be an issue for some. Back on the coast, I would only wear a small backpack on the colder days just for carrying an extra mid layer of clothing.

It is true that a tank bag might get in the way depending on the bikes ergonomics, and/or riding style. The bikes I've owned, I never had a problem with a tank bag getting in the way, with either standard bars or clip ons. In the photo I posted of the tank bag on my Daytona with clip ons, I never had a problem when cornering because in the corner I was hanging off the bike, and when transitioning between left or right corners, I was never laying over when coming across the tank. As far as comfort in a straight line, with that particular tank bag on my Daytona, I could actually fall asleep if I wasn't careful :)! As I bent over, all my weight was comfortably resting on the tank bag, with no pressure on the arms or controls.

GM, your comment on tank bags begs the question...have you ever used or tried a tank bag on your current bike? I learned many years ago that you cannot not give an honest opinion on a product or situation if you have not tried it yourself. A perfect example would be when I started riding in the 60's you didn't hang off in the corners, as it was considered unnatural, until Paul Smart the Brit roadracer started doing it in the early 70's. I tried emulating his style and found...hey this actually works 8)! So, never be afraid to try new ideas, even if you think you won't like it...trust me ;)!

Mel

dub

I have that same tank bag that Mel does. It's nice but what he has pictured is basically all you can fit in it. I stopped using it in favor of a tail bag for the extra capacity.
I usually have: Water bottle (nalgene size), wallet, cell phone, hard sunglasses case, hard gps case (if I have the GPS mounted), cloth and shield spritz, snacks, clear shield in case I'm out after dark, extra layer if was chilly in the morning or will be chilly on the way back. Some of those other items Mel has pictured I keep under the seat.

SL, you learned a lesson that I discovered about 10 years ago when I used to commute by bicycle in Portland: carry the weight on your bike, not your body.
I would never ride with a backpack any bigger than the one Mel has, it's the worst.

Mel, have you tried the technique to mount your bike with a tail bag that the touring guys use? While it's on the side stand, step up onto the foot peg then throw your leg entirely over the tail bag.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

NevadaWolf

I see you don't like getting over the tail bag so thought I'd share something.

I have a tail bag crammed full of repair supplies as it'd take hours for rescue where I typically ride. When I was visiting friends, I mounted the bike and both of them started cracking up laughing at my style. I treat my bike like a horse, left foot onto peg first to stand up and get the extra height to get my leg over the bag.

(Was also advised this was the best way to mount a fully farkled and loaded long distance rally bike due to the load on the back.)

My shorter friend later called me and said though it looked funny as all get out, she tried it to get over a load she was carrying on the tail and decided I had the right idea.

To answer the second question, I go over board. Not only repair/emergency supplies in the tail, but food in the tank bag, water in the backpack. Misc small items go in my pockets.

Mel

Yeah, you all should know me by now from my posts, I'm always looking for better ways to do things and am always experimenting. I did try the foot on the peg, swing the leg over thing when I was running a tail bag. While it worked ok, I just didn't care for the extra motion it took. I never go on multiday rides, so only need the essentials for the day, and that's why a tank bag works perfect for me.

Mel

GreenMachine

Mel, Mel, Mel.  You can answer your own question simply from memory. 

You must think I ride like this.

How do I ride and where are my arms and chest when I do?  It looks like they have a love affair with the top of the tank...where a tank bag would sit.  If one were there, I'd probably swipe it away so I could get on with it!!!

You see?  There's no begging of any question. 

I posed a reverse question to another rider who had placed a tank mounted GoPro, asking 'how can you ride your sportbike with that there?'  After one ride, he agreed and removed it.  Even he didn't realize how important, for safety reasons, it was to keep the tank area clear.

GreenMachine

Quote from: slmoto on August 18, 2014, 08:49:12 AM
I think I need to return my tail bag and get a tank bag so I can fit her on the back of my bike instead of a stupid bag. Much more interesting than the leather product I work with!
Start making stuff like this and you will.  Only problem will be she may be a little more to handle than you bargained for. :spank

Mel

Yeah, I know how you ride GM, but it sure is fun pushing your buttons :) :) :)!!

Mel

dub

Quote from: GreenMachine on August 18, 2014, 10:10:21 AMEven he didn't realize how important, for safety reasons, it was to keep the tank area clear.

LOL. Safety reasons? How do you explain the thousands upon thousands of riders who ride with a tank bag everyday and don't crash because of it?
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

Easy, the context was for sport riding the way I do it.   In the case of the other rider, he was doing a trackday with the GoPro.  He took it off the tank after one session for safety reasons.  It was in his way and he couldn't corner with it there.