Main Menu

Newbie Ride Sat 7/19/14

Started by Mel, July 14, 2014, 12:35:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mel

We will meet at the Starbucks on N. McCarran Blvd by the I-Hop off of 80. It will be kick stands up at 8:30am, but I will be there by 8:00am, and the rider's meeting will be at 8:15am.

Hey guys and gals, (Route and time posted below)

I'm putting this up as a feeler to see if there is any interest for a newbie ride. If the interest is there, then I will put up a route. This ride is for the newer, less experienced riders to build on their skills and experience many different types of roads. It will be a more structured ride with me pacing the group to run at a pace you are comfortable at, along with a sweeper. I will pull over at all junctions to keep the group together and wait to get a wave from the sweeper before taking off again. We will take breaks so any questions can be answered and to give tips on your riding skills. If I can get a volunteer to sweep that is a more experienced rider that would be great as he can keep an eye on your riding technique and give input at the breaks. GM, Dub, or TahoeBrian will do just fine :)! Hopefully, one of you guys will be willing to back off your usual pace for the day and help the newer riders. All riders are welcome, and you more experienced guys that want to run a faster pace, can start out first and run ahead. You will have the route and I'll let you know when and where the stops will be.

The ride will start with a meeting where I will discuss ride safety and group etiquette. The rider's meeting is a good time to ask any questions or discuss any concerns you may have. At the first rest stop the riders can change positions in the line up to better suit their speed and comfort level, this way we can keep the group moving smoothly.

Please keep in mind, I am not an instructor and any tips I give are just tools that have worked for me over the years. There are always different techniques that will work for any given scenario, so don't be afraid to experiment.

I am so used to having multiple rides to choose from on any given weekend back on the coast and in the bay area put on by members of SBR or BARF. Ten riders would be just an average size group at best, with some rides having 30 to 40 riders. The SBR rides are usually more newbie friendly, with the BARF rides at a little more serious pace. The bigger rides will usually have 2 or 3 groups decided at the beginning of the ride, like an A, B, and C pace. This works out great because no matter your pace, you always have a group to ride with.

Another thing that is different from here is that they ride all types of roads back on the coast, from fast smooth stuff to single lane goat roads and everything in between, all usually in one ride. This is with all the riders including newbies. There are lots of women riders back there also and they don't ask for any special treatment and will ride any road that is on the ride. I've noticed that here on SSA the newer riders will hear some of the SSA regulars talk about their dislike for goat roads, and without any real experience on them, take it as the gospel, and develop a false sense of fear for goat roads. There will be a goat road thread here real soon where I will talk about them in detail, along with many misconceptions 8)!

Well, let me know folks if you are interested in a newbie ride and I will make it happen. Hopefully, if I'm willing to ride a newbie pace for the day, you will be willing to come out and have fun :)!

I'll leave you with some links here showing some mellow SBR rides from back on the coast. Check out the photos to see the roads they ride on and how they are spaced in the group.

http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/threads/139735/

http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/threads/139037/

http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/threads/139949/page-2

http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/threads/98847/

Mel

Hey guys,

We will meet at the Starbucks on N. McCarran Blvd by the I-Hop off of 80. It will be kick stands up at 8:30am, but I will be there by 8:00am, and the rider's meeting will be at 8:15am.

I chose a route that a couple of you have been on with me. It is made up of many different types of roads and goes through lots of cool country settings. Yes, I included a couple sections of goat roads, but these are very short, not scary at all, and pretty smooth which I feel is a great introduction to goat roads for those that have not ridden on any. Here's the route with a couple notes below.

-West on 80 and then a right on Magra Rd/Rollins Lake. It will be an immediate left as you exit the freeway onto Norton Grade Rd, which is a short, smooth, and fun goat road.

-Left on Rollins Lake Rd

-Left on 174

-Left on S. Auburn St

-Left on Placer Hills Rd

-Right on Dog Bar Rd

-Right on Rattlesnake Rd

-Left on 174 into Grass Valley

-Right on 20

-Left on 49

-Right on Ridge Rd (some of you call this Pike) up to the fire station (6 miles) and back down to 49

-Left on 49

-Right on Pleasant Valley Rd (This has a short, smooth goat road section before it drops down to the river and covered bridge. We will take a break there and those that want to learn some more skills on goat roads, I will take you back up the short goat section and back down at a little faster, but very safe pace.

-Left on Bitney Springs Rd

-Left on Rough and Ready Rd into downtown Grass Valley.

-Right on Mill St and then look for parking to have lunch at the Old Town Café.

-Over a couple blocks and left on 20.

-Left on Washington Rd which will be 6 miles down to Little Washington, then back up to 20.

-Left on 20

-Left on 80 and back home.

Some of these directions are just quick lefts and rights going through town. You can get on Google maps and follow this route very easy and then click on satellite for a good overhead view of the roads. Trust me, this is a very fun route and short enough to not be an all day event. Let me know if you have any questions, and we can talk more about the route and stops at Starbucks before we leave. See you guys and gals on Sat morning Cool!

Mel

BC-2

Hello Mel, I think my wife and I would be interested.  Let us know when you decide the route and time.

Mel

Cool BC-2! Thanks for responding and am looking for RenoRider75 and his better half, Flamecrow, slmoto, and a few others hopefully to show interest. This isn't just for new newbies, but also for those of you that haven't reached a spirited pace comfort level yet and are still working your way up the learning curve. Again I would like to stress that this will be a ride at your pace and comfort level and allow you to experience different types of roads. Post up :)!

Mel

dub

If I'm available to ride the day you choose I'll be happy to sweep, Mel.

Those threads you linked are cool. Sure would be nice to have those numbers in Reno/Carson. I think that the pool of riders is just so much smaller here than the Bay Area. Beside the fact there are 14 TIMES as many residents in the Bay vs Truckee Meadows, the fact that you can ride year round draws more people to the sport.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

flamecrow

Sounds really cool! I'll be available to come out

GreenMachine

I'll sweep behind Dub, if I can get my act together this week.   It appears after going over the 11 Pines goat road on the SSA Fecta, one of my fork dust boots let go.   
:nana3 :pieface  It was time anyway.  62,000 in this second no-name brand dust boot.  Not bad!  And my already semi-bald front tire will get replaced at the same time.

Riding in back will let me relax from the pace I'm always being forced to ride when out front.  You pushy riders behind me make me do it.   :angel  I can stretch my legs on Sunday's ride if I have to.  Don't think I will though.

It appears that on Sat-Sun the temps will return to something more like seasonal normals, rather than this hotter that Death Valley BS we're getting.  It looks like the morning low temps are still averaging about 10* above normal however. 

Looking forward to learning anything I can gleam from you veterans and track riders.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

Doh! I completely ignored the fact that there is a date in the title of this thread. For some reason I thought Mel was just gauging interest in this ride for a date in the future To Be Determined. I'm not available this weekend anyway (AFM round 4).
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

At T-hill too!  Best of luck.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Mel

Bummer Dub, but I understand because you are kicking butt in your class, so go show them the way home down at T-hill 8)!

Looking forward to meeting you flamecrow!

Gm, you are now officially the sweep so far :)! It won't kill us to slow down the pace and give something back from our years of riding. I think we owe it to the new riders to help them work their way up that ladder of experience so they can be smoother, faster, yet still in their comfort zone. If we get a couple more guys to commit, I'll probably go for a ride on Wed over the hill and figure out a good route to post up.

Mel

slmoto

I'm definitely interested and available to make it. I'd really appreciate something like this. I've been trying to observe and take in what I can on the few rides I've been on so far but I think a ride like this could go a long way for us newbies. You can count me in.

RichVee4

I am planning to join you on Sat, just need to be back in town by 2:30.  Might have two ladies join me as well. 
Live long and prosper \V/

Mel

slmoto and Richman, looking forward to seeing you there! Still waiting to hear from a couple other regulars...RenoRider75 and 288cbr where are you :)!

Mel

BC-2

An early start to beat the heat would be great if possible.  :)

nvgixxer

Hmmmmmm....................I'll keep an eye on this thread, sounds like it could be educational and fun.
Has a route been picked yet?

Jimbo
2015 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2012 Kawasaki ZX14R (sold)
2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2007 Suzuki GSXR1000 (totaled)
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2003 Suzuki GSXR1000 (sold)

nvgixxer

Quote from: Mel on July 15, 2014, 08:51:14 AM
slmoto and Richman, looking forward to seeing you there! Still waiting to hear from a couple other regulars...RenoRider75 and 288cbr where are you :)!

Mel
Hey Mel, don't you consider nvgixxer to be a "regular"? I guess not.  :(
2015 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2012 Kawasaki ZX14R (sold)
2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2007 Suzuki GSXR1000 (totaled)
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2003 Suzuki GSXR1000 (sold)