Main Menu

World Superbike at Laguna Seca - July 11-13, 2014

Started by RenoRider75, December 28, 2013, 02:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RenoRider75

My wife Sara and I are planning to head down to Laguna Seca for the World Superbike championship there in July.  We're renting a toy hauler and bringing the bikes with us.  The plan is to get one of the camp sites there with hook-ups.

Is anyone else interested in going down there?  This would be my first time at the track, so I really have no idea where the fun rides down there are when there isn't racing going on.  I think we're planning to go down on Thursday afternoon to beat some of the traffic and then come home on Monday.

Here's the place with toy haulers for rent:  http://www.classicadventuresrv.com/index.html

Here's info on the park and the camp sites:  http://www.mazdaraceway.com/camping

And here's why I'm particularly interested in going this year:  http://www.crash.net/wsbk/news/198913/1/erik-buell-racing-confirms-wsbk-entry.html

;D

dub

I haven't been to a race, MotoGP or WSBK, at Laguna. I have always wanted to go and said I would. But when the time comes to take action I...just...don't.

I guess when it comes down to it I'd just rather spend that time and money riding my motorcycle than watching other people ride motorcycles.

I suppose I have missed my chance to see the premier class, I should probably go at least once before WSBK is driven away forever by lack of attendance and the HOA.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

288RR

I do plan on going aswell.  I've been for motogp and it's a great time.   I think I'm going to try to camp at the track.  We will see how that plan goes

cobra23

I went last year, camped there too. I would highly recommend it.

We go to WSB every year. The riders and the pits are more accessible than during Moto GP. I walked right up to Tom Sykes and chatted with him as he was headed to his garage all the riders are like this. I don' really understand why they seem more at ease than at Moto GP, unless it is just that there are so many people at the GP races.

You can't ride a pit bike around the area, so I would bring something street legal to get you from one side to the other. A small dual sport would be perfect. Otherwise you are humping up and down all those hills.

GreenMachine

You haven't seen the gut I've been working on.  I need those hills to keep in shape!   :D

Awesome idea RR!  This may be right up my ally, given the departure of MotoGP around the same time of year.  Plus, with it being much cooler on the coast in early July, (coast) riding will be that much more enjoyable.  There's a chance I'd be up for sharing in expenses.  I'll factor this into the SSA group ride calendar.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RenoRider75

Just a quick update.  All of the sites with hook-ups are gone (can't believe they sold out so fast).  I reserved a camp site above turn 9, site 603 in the "Corkscrew View Upper Campground".  I found an awesome bike ramp thing for our truck that makes it easy to get two bikes into the bed, so instead of a toy hauler we're renting a standard micro-lite trailer.  This should hopefully save quite a bit on gas.

One trick my dad taught me was to delay filling any fresh-water tanks until you get over the hill.  That way you don't have to haul 80 gallons of water over the pass.  Of course, this assumes that we will have any water in July available to put into a trailer.   :'(

cobra23

We stayed on the upper corkscrew campground. Lots of fun..lots of walking. Bring a bicycle!

288RR

I'll be down there,  I'll be staying in marina,  just north west of the track,