Main Menu

2003 F4i suspension setup

Started by MotoPutz, May 25, 2008, 08:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MotoPutz

Ok, so I finally got around to starting to setup my suspension (setting my sag). I have the new .95 springs in the forks which is what race tech said I should be running. After all the reading I have been doing I am trying to set the front sag to 30-35mm and the rear to 25-30mm. I had my rear a tad too stiff so I backed it our a couple turns and I have it right where I need it. But my front I now have unloaded as much as I possibly can and its still only at 26mm. Now I admit I don't have my gear on when I did all these measurements but I wouldn't think it would make that much difference. Some of the stuff I have read says racers use 25-30mm in the front but I'm not a fast aggressive rider yet.

Is this going to cause much of an issue? Will the spring loosen over time a little? (break in)

weavefish

i have read that your fork sag should be 1/3 of total fork travel. ie 150mm fork travel, sag should be 50mm(just an example) to get you into the ball park sag setting. this may be wrong but i have heared it from a few different sources. if you race and are worried about cutting lap time by a second than finer tuning would prolly be needed.
It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens. - Woody Allen

TWF

Yard Sale

Are you saying you backed out the preload adjusters all the way and you still don't have enough sag? Then I think the next step would be to adjust the length of the preload spacers.

I put .95 springs in my F4i and I just ride it. Never set the sag at either end. :(

MotoPutz

Do I need to add preload spacers or remove one or two? Does anyone want to help me with this? I am good in a garage but I have never been in my forks yet... Not to mention I don't even have a garage to work in.

Yard Sale

You should have set up new preload spacers when you put the springs in. The stock spacers won't work.

A DRAGON

Hey Putz you always have mine if you need it.
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

MotoPutz

I had Jay at BVH do the work but I know the new springs came with new shims, I'm going to assume he put them all in, so does that mean I need to take one out of each side? I'm not sure what will equate to adding more sag.

A DRAGON

In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

MotoPutz

That wasn't a helpful comment.

Not to meantion that more hamburgers would mean more sag which is what I need.

A DRAGON

wise Acre! Then eat more burgers and buy new leathers.
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

MotoPutz

Maybe if I mount your ego on my triple clamps I will have enough wieght to get the sag I want...

MotoPutz

So can the shim stack be adjusted? or do I just need to get .90 springs...