Main Menu

pull over's

Started by smoothduc, May 19, 2008, 01:07:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoothduc

yeah, I wish there was some common sense left sometimes. I like to reason things out, that usually comes up with the best possible solution since you've got the other persons input. I dont do well being told to obey something that's halfways stupid or having my point negated completely. The "I'm the Law and you do as I say"! That usually comes from cops that dont ride themselves. But Hey.... no ticket, @the end of the day I cannot complain. Considering all, I got off easy and do appreciate that.

nvgixxer

Maybe you guys can clear something up for me..........I have read varying things to do and things not to do, when having just been pulled over.
Do you stay on your parked bike until the officer asks you to dismount? How about the helmet, leave it on until asked to do otherwise? And................?? 
2015 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2012 Kawasaki ZX14R (sold)
2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2007 Suzuki GSXR1000 (totaled)
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2003 Suzuki GSXR1000 (sold)

MotoPutz

I've been pulled over a couple times, never ticketed, and I stay on my bike, engine off, helmet on. I only dismount if asked for reg and insurence. Oh and I unplug the speackers from my helmet so I can hear them bitch me out.

yzinger

when you get stopped, immediatly turn off the bike and put the kickstand down. next, step off of the bike and begin to take your helmet off (by this time the officer should be there). the reason you want to get off, turn off, etc is it shows the cop you have no intention of running. then do what he says. every officer is different, but this is a good base to follow.  some cops make you take the key out, etc. also, taking the helmet off shows the officer your face. This helps because it will ease the cops subconscious which could possibly think you have something to hide by not taking it off.

Mike Cullen

Ok it appears I need to clear a few things up....most of you know what I do for a living...if you don't just ask, there is a a pretty good size group of cops that ride sportbikes, if you are lucky enough to get pulled over by one of them your chances of getting off with a warning are good, if you have all the proper paper work and a valid license, your chances get better, if you were only speeding at 10-15 over and not splitting lanes or riding reckless, your chances are really good. Believe it or not the real cops (not the lazy ones) are looking for the warrant arrest or the criminal, or they want to catch the rider that tried to run.
Good cops, even the ones that ride sportbikes, have no problem writting the huge ticket and taking your motorcycle or even arresting you for reckless riding if they can articulate it. My advice on this is be cool in town, cruise with the flow of traffic, try to avoid weaving in and out and calling their attention to you.
Now as far as when you get pulled over....yes, turn your bike off and you can take your helmet off as soon as possible but stay on your bike, leave the kick stand up. This shows the cops that your intention is to stay and not run either on the bike or on foot.  If they ask you to get off then get off, you probably will have to anyway to retrieve your paperwork. This goes back to the old biker gang members that couldn't out run the cops so they would always put the kickstand down and jump off their bikes to fight or run on foot, but they always put the kickstand down to keep the bike from falling over. Cops know that you could most likely just twist the throttle and disappear from them and believe it or not they appreciate when you stop. It creates less paperwork and headache.
Also, don't argue... the place for that is in the court room. If you do get a ticket, always go in front of the judge, or meet with the prosecuting DA, if your try to defend yourself without bagging on the cops you'll most likely be able to get a reduction in the fine or even get the whole thing dismissed, if you agree to go to traffic school.
Most cops (CHP in Montery excluded) don't have a big problem if your doing your thing out away from every one up in the mountains or out in the desert. If you ride like a fool in school zones or near large groups of people downtown you will pay the price.
One thing I have learned is that you must be willing to pay if you want to play...(I've been there, too).

Justin

Mike.   Helmet off, yes. . . but kickstand up? 
I never would have figured that rationale on my own. 
Thanks for the insight.

Team Gorgonzola

Mike, I am guessing your avatar is you pulling a wheelie. ??? ??? ???
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
-Hunter S. Thompson-

A DRAGON

[bMike thanks for speaking up I thought you were dead. ][/b]
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

Mike Cullen

No, I didn't die, just been building my house (still) but all is good I was planning on hitting the bike night tonight but apparently it's raining, anyway........ that is me pulling a wheelie, on a closed highway.

pizza

ok mike since you hinted at what you do for a living but didnt say it... ill entertain your want for someone to ask... WHAT DO YOU FOR A LIVING?? ;D

on subject of the thread. ive been pulled over a number of times on my bike and have only received a ticket for not having a motorcycle endorsement (was a while ago, i finally got legal last fall). every other time it was for just doing the normal defensive tactics in traffic or going 80 on an empty 395 at night or 50 on an open country road(15 over). i must have been lucky because i keep getting cops that are pretty chill about it. they seem to be happy that i actually pulled over instead of opening it up and dissappearing. they check my reg/insurance/DL and they are satisfied knowing i was not drinking and aware of what i was doing.... i seem to get lucky that way often. i talked my way out of a ticket after a cop noticed i was speeding in my diesel pickup last summer. he didnt figure out how fast i was going but i came up on him very quickly... i was pulling like 120. he seemed to be more impressed that a 4x4 dodge diesel could go that fast... i chuckled and mentioned 'low 13's in the 1/4 mile'. oh well. luck wears quick. i dont really speed and i never drive recklessly(which is more than i can say for a couple of my other 2 wheeled friends whom i ride with occasionally). other than the occasional wheelie and the 3 digit speed verification check im a pretty mild rider. i started riding to save $$ on gas, not to get shoveled up off the road
WARNING: fast Buell, slow owner!

Boulevard Pizza- The freshest thin crust pizza in Sparks.

weavefish

one thing about luck is it will run out someday and you can only hope that the cop is understanding so many times. so ride safe pizza your wallet will thank you.
It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens. - Woody Allen

Adiggity

Quote from: pizza on May 27, 2008, 11:37:22 PM
  i was speeding in my diesel pickup last summer. he didnt figure out how fast i was going but i came up on him very quickly... i was pulling like 120. 

i dont really speed and i never drive recklessly(which is more than i can say for a couple of my other 2 wheeled friends whom i ride with occasionally). other than the occasional wheelie and the 3 digit speed verification check im a pretty mild rider.
:D  :D I just had to laugh when I read this. *cough, cough* triple digit speed is reckless driving...*cough, cough*  ;)

pizza

Quote from: Adiggity on May 28, 2008, 08:25:19 AM
Quote from: pizza on May 27, 2008, 11:37:22 PM
  i was speeding in my diesel pickup last summer. he didnt figure out how fast i was going but i came up on him very quickly... i was pulling like 120. 

i dont really speed and i never drive recklessly(which is more than i can say for a couple of my other 2 wheeled friends whom i ride with occasionally). other than the occasional wheelie and the 3 digit speed verification check im a pretty mild rider.
:D  :D I just had to laugh when I read this. *cough, cough* triple digit speed is reckless driving...*cough, cough*  ;)

im glad you got entertainment out of that!!!i know that i had a pretty serious grin on my face when i was doing it!! hahaha
WARNING: fast Buell, slow owner!

Boulevard Pizza- The freshest thin crust pizza in Sparks.