Main Menu

riding in california

Started by mikey, August 03, 2010, 07:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey

A friend of mine came to my work today and needed help getting his bike out of impound.  He was probably going faster than he told me but, it is in the 100mph range near Portola some where. he got busted and they TOOK  :o his bike.  

This is just a reminder of what can happen

Also my tickets are in from riding from Seattle 9mph over anywhere in california = $211  
and $35 more bucks to go on the payment plan
ducati brothers

916 (2wcp 955 big bore kit)

Jp_Rio

That's why I think we should have more track days.  ;D And this actually brings one question that I will create another topic for it.
What?? Trackday?? I'm in!!!

dub

Quote from: mikey on August 03, 2010, 07:59:03 PM
A friend of mine came to my work today and needed help getting his bike out of impound.  He was probably going faster than he told me but, it is in the 100mph range near Portola some where. he got busted and they TOOK  :o his bike. 

This is just a reminder of what can happen

Also my tickets are in from riding from Seattle 9mph over anywhere in california = $211 
and $35 more bucks to go on the payment plan

I'm not shocked that his bike was impounded for speeds in excess of triple digits, I think that's pretty much the norm.

Where did you get a ticket for 9 over?  CHP?  That sucks.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

sparkygixxer

So far the boys with the cool equipment on have been able to save us and given us the heads up before "the man" had gotten us.

Hmmmm...I do ride alone often still, so maybe the cost of a good detector would be a good investment to forgo getting tickets.   ??? :) ???

Mikey, thanks for the info!

jlavallee

I used to love my V1 but now with speed traps a super revenue maker it is all but useless on anything but interstate. Instant on is too heavily used to count on it.

n10sive

doesn't instant on still emit a short pulse periodically that can be detected?
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

jlavallee

The pulse is when they paint someone in front of you. On a busy interstate it is helpful but you are usually in with traffic anyway.

The vast majority of our speed laws are nothing more than revenue generators sold under the guise of safety.

mikey

I got my tickets in yelm ca and susanville ca
ducati brothers

916 (2wcp 955 big bore kit)

n10sive

don't know if many people know this, but if you get a speeding ticket in Nevada in any place other than a school or construction zone, for instance in Washoe/Carson Valley's or any semi-deserted stretch of hwy, you can plea it down to "Rural Speeding" NRS 484.3685 most of the time. It's a no point, no record ticket. It will still cost you (about $135) as all the minimum fines went up this year in Nevada. Talking of revenue generators, if you go to court you are almost always offered this option, with a threat of double fines in you don't. So you shut up and pay and be happy for the clean record. Talking of a scam, because of this, NHP is doing chickenshit 5 over tickets that the courts will not dismiss anymore, but give you this option. So lot's of money to be made here.
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

jlavallee

Yet another example of government doing nothing but hurting the people it is supposed to serve.

Is there a way for us to band together and protest this kind of thing? Traffic court is a guilty unless proven innocent situation. I got one of these 5mph tickets and I am ashamed to admit that I paid it because showing up in court to contest it would cost more in lost wages. Nothing but extra tax.

Hell, I don't own a sportbike for the street anymore simply because it got to the point where worrying about tickets sucked all the fun out of riding.

GreenMachine

Great advice Dale!

Trinie.  You know it must be an embedded parenting thing, because I would instinctively go to the front or back of the pack, opposite of BigCat.  It was like he and I were herding our flock through treacherous territory.  A Dragon did a good job too of keeping the pace very near the speed limit...if not below. (jab-jab)  :D
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

sparkygixxer

Quote from: GreenMachine on August 04, 2010, 09:02:18 AM
Trinie.  You know it must be an embedded parenting thing, because I would instinctively go to the front or back of the pack, opposite of BigCat.  It was like he and I were herding our flock through treacherous territory. (jab-jab)  :D

Yes, I do love my herd (Ice Age) they are always looking out for me.  But yet, like family they are having fun making fun of me too  :P  You big meanies!!! ;)

cobra23

I beleive the time has come to just cruise at the speed limit, while in a populated area.

The Highway lawmens are pretty much a fine group of fellas, honestly. I had one save my ass back in the 80's by arresting a drunk who was trying to run me off the interstate for an unknown reason. I will always be grateful. (Thats a cool story I'll save for later)

The average H.P. lawman is just doing what leadership is asking of them.

By riding fast and collecting tickets, we are just proving the new way of revenue collection works well, they will get more aggresive as they collect more money.

Riding at a brisk speed while there is no-one around is so much more rewarding when you slow down for the next speed trap and wave to the hard working civil servant as he is reading the radar .....55mph.....

Just some advice...

A DRAGON

I'm getting a Radar Detector this year. I haven't had a ticket in a few years. I'm sold. I'll to the speed limit all the time. Tickets suck. I'm a believer now. >:( >:( >:( >:(
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750