Main Menu

Buell to be shut down

Started by dmh2000, October 15, 2009, 01:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adiggity

Quote from: oldBolt on October 15, 2009, 05:52:49 PM
Does this put the 1125 out of the AMA Sportbike?  Or can it still race?
It "could" race for one more year, but after that it is out. I doubt you will see it though. Your bike has to be no older than 2 years to race AMA.

jlavallee

Quote from: Adiggity on October 17, 2009, 10:20:10 AM
I have to disagree with this one. Sure, it is a 1200cc vs. a 600cc, but the 1200 is a twin. The 600 in an inline 4. Their horsepower ratings were pretty damned close to each other. That was the right fit for that bike and the only (slight) advantage they had in power, they lost with handling. It was a bigger bike and harder to move around. I personally take nothing away from Buell or Danny Eslick. If your logic worked, the other Buell should've finished 2nd easily, right? That bike would've been a joke in the Superbike class.

That is a fair point but from the bits I saw it was two different races. Also, I feel that the talent on the 600's was higher I saw one where Hacking was riding the damn wheels off his Kawasaki only to be passed back on every straight and loose. It was a complete farce. Now, I will give you that the 600's are probably easier to ride in the corners but that is why good racing has similar rules. I also feel the much better riders were on the 600's and that made up a lot of the 600's shortcomings.

pizza

Quote from: jlavallee on October 17, 2009, 02:14:30 PM
Quote from: Adiggity on October 17, 2009, 10:20:10 AM
I have to disagree with this one. Sure, it is a 1200cc vs. a 600cc, but the 1200 is a twin. The 600 in an inline 4. Their horsepower ratings were pretty damned close to each other. That was the right fit for that bike and the only (slight) advantage they had in power, they lost with handling. It was a bigger bike and harder to move around. I personally take nothing away from Buell or Danny Eslick. If your logic worked, the other Buell should've finished 2nd easily, right? That bike would've been a joke in the Superbike class.

Have you ever riden a buell before?

That is a fair point but from the bits I saw it was two different races. Also, I feel that the talent on the 600's was higher I saw one where Hacking was riding the damn wheels off his Kawasaki only to be passed back on every straight and loose. It was a complete farce. Now, I will give you that the 600's are probably easier to ride in the corners but that is why good racing has similar rules. I also feel the much better riders were on the 600's and that made up a lot of the 600's shortcomings.
WARNING: fast Buell, slow owner!

Boulevard Pizza- The freshest thin crust pizza in Sparks.

cobra23

That is one sad deal there.

An American sportbike. All done. I don't care what you think about the DMG rules, it beat the Japanese.

An American Sportbike. Dam.

D1NO

Quote from: cobra23 on October 17, 2009, 10:32:32 PM

An American sportbike. All done. I don't care what you think about the DMG rules, it beat the Japanese.

But don't you ride a Duc and fixin up a Japanese... bike that is. :P

jlavallee

Quote from: pizza on October 17, 2009, 10:14:46 PM
Have you ever riden a buell before?

Yep, I've ridden a couple. Two friends have them, an XB9 and XB12 and neither were my cup of tea but I don't know what that has to do with anything.

mikey

I like Eslick but, the buell is BIG and I hope nobody gets mad at me but, it is ugly even up close. It had to race with 600's because it is missing about 40 or 50 hp to be anywhere near a small private SBK team.

Didn't some guy pass away in the buell crew? I dont know who it was but, Eslick had dedicated a race win to him in an interview I saw.  He got to emotional to continue the interview and maybe that is part of them pulling out also.  Maybe somebody will notice Eslick's efforts on that tank and sign him ;D

i have rode a XB9R it was comfortable and it pulled hard but, I didn't get that lean forward aggressive type feel while on it 

ducati brothers

916 (2wcp 955 big bore kit)

cobra23

Quote from: D1NO on October 18, 2009, 04:59:24 PM
Quote from: cobra23 on October 17, 2009, 10:32:32 PM

But don't you ride a Duc and fixin up a Japanese... bike that is. :P

I am busted guilty as charged.

Adiggity

Quote from: jlavallee on October 17, 2009, 02:14:30 PM
I think you have a valid point too. But Eslick is no slouch. He was placing top 5 on a satellite team before he went to Buell. I do agree with you to a point with the power. It had to be frustrating for those boys sometimes (Especially Hacking). I remember the exact race you are talking about with Hacking. From what I heard, the M4 Gixxer had dyno HP outputs very close to the Buell. How well did the Buell do at Infineon?  :) Another thing to think about. The tires AMA had to use this year were garbage. The twin has always had more usable power than the inline 4's. The 4's couldn't get on the gas like they wanted to coming out of the corners. The Buell was probably easier to slide in regards of predictability. I'm just speculating there, but every twin I've ridden seems easier to get on the gas earlier.

Adiggity

Quote from: mikey on October 18, 2009, 06:03:02 PM
Didn't some guy pass away in the buell crew? I dont know who it was but, Eslick had dedicated a race win to him in an interview I saw.  He got to emotional to continue the interview and maybe that is part of them pulling out also.  Maybe somebody will notice Eslick's efforts on that tank and sign him ;D
Bruce Rossmeyer. He was the owner of the team. RMR=Rossmeyer Racing. I will be shocked if Eslick isn't picked up by someone!