Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

Buongiorno

Started by Team Gorgonzola, June 03, 2009, 02:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Team Gorgonzola

Hello everyone, do to sporadic and inconsistent access to the internet I have not been online much. I have, however,  been in Varese, my hometown in Italy for a week+. Staying at Mama with Tomi and Luca (which means a constant flow of yummy food coming my way, breakfast, lunch and dinner) and seeing old friends and places. In a way, I would say my soul as well as my belly are well nourished ;)..Now: I know this for sure.... Italian drivers ARE a bit pazzo, I drove for a couple of days and it all came back to me. I was honking and cutting people off by day two; D. Motorcycle drivers are the true troubleseekers here, zipping by, in and out of stopped traffic on small roads (by our standards), well on the other side of solid white line (no double yellow here) at a crazy rate of speed. At times wheeling scooters go by, while passing the lazy afternoon traffic.. Overall, at least it seems to me, they are racing each other and cars in an absolutely chaotic yet well coordinated dance, of which the motivation is: reaching destination as fast as possible at all cost! I have not seeing any accident yet, so it is working, somewhat 8). Everytime we stop at a traffic light, anywhere between 1 and 10 scooters, sportbikes, motards (lots of those) and anything else on two wheels, move forward to the "starting line" and zip away at first glance of a green flash... :D It's really fun to watch! The other day I donned my DOC President shirt at the local Ducati shop and I was treated like a VIP, got free stickers and a promise for a demo ride on the new (and to me stunning in person) Streetfighter. The roads here are nothing short of amazing, from 10 miles of real tight, supermotard quality, beautiful asphalt, twisties; to large two lanes over mountain passes, probably good for double digits sweepers. Best of all; no enforcers....they do use cameras and radars in and around the cities but once you're a few miles out, there is no police presence (or I just have not seen any).  We drove to Switzerland last Sunday and there were scores of bikes, lots of them beemers, going over a pass on this beautiful, low traffic road. The kind you ride slow to enjoy the great panorama or just knee-down ton speed, thru the tunnels, like a pack of wolves after a fast prey.....Boy I whish my Duc was here. Well boys is time to go, Mama is calling, lunchtime with a freshly made lasagna....the only Mama can make!!!

Love ya'll, Alberto
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
-Hunter S. Thompson-

trent

Thanks for sharing Alberto and glad youre having a good time at home..
There is absolutely no good excuse for what Im about to do !

Justin

Did I miss Lunch?
Do I have enough frequent flier miles to get to Varese?

Enjoy the lasagna, you may need a HP boost at the track just to match your old speeds.

weavefish

Glad you all are having a great trip... Italy is a place i must visit :) travel safe
It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens. - Woody Allen

n10sive

haha...the scariest ride I ever took in my life was a taxi ride through downtown Naples. Truly an amazing experience driving in Italy.

Glad you are having a good time Alberto and thanks for the report!
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

Adiggity

So, when are we going back to rent a couple bikes and test those roads out?! We could even do a trackday at Monza!! If my calculations are correct it is only about an hour away form Varese! ;D

Team Gorgonzola

Thank you all, I hope to be riding here in a few years, but doing a trackday a Monza would be incredible. See you all soon...back on the diet :(
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
-Hunter S. Thompson-

A DRAGON

:D Sooo Happy for you Alberto. But please check what a track day would run if you wanted to go.. Enjoy your Mama That's one of the best memories you'll ever have and keep forever. ;D ;D  But you know that already ;)
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

D1NO

Glad to hear you're having a great time which is no surprise... ::) Italy is a must for our next vacation. Have fun and safe travels...

yzinger

Hey Alberto my mom and sister are leaving for Italy on the 12th for a month!!! And they did not even bother to invite me or my dad!!! I am jealous, sounds like a lot of FUN.....maybe I can cram my small frame in a suit case...

Sheldontoxicman

Sounds like you're having a good time. it must be a sight all the motors and scooters. Have fun be safe and have some of that yummy lasagna for me. 8)

z1rider

Sounds like you're having a blast! Next time you go, tell me if you need a porter.  ;D

stimacsays

Candice and I are so happy you are having fun and catching up with freinds and family.

I hope to see you soon.

Ted

BTW, is the coffee as good as I remember?

jlavallee

Glad you're having a great vacation!

I'm with you on driving in Italy, the first time in Rome I rented a scooter and my ass was chewing on the seat the whole time. I don't think I've ever had so many heart in my throat moments on two wheels before or since. :D