Main Menu

Roll Call - Coast Solstice Ride 06/20/15+ (?)

Started by GreenMachine, June 15, 2015, 09:42:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slmoto

That sounds good. I like 253 and 128 but notice we miss 20 from Willits to Ft. Bragg which was fun so that covers that too. We'll just miss out on 36 which sucks but I'm also okay with since that is a longer way back after an already long day.

Yeah, I probably don't have the same drive to get to the coast as you since I've spend to much time on the coast but it still always has the wow factor when I do arrive.

Quote from: GreenMachine on June 17, 2015, 07:24:10 PM
Or we lobby RV to join us in the next couple of weeks when he's back and do something short this weekend instead.  Sounds like he's itching for another hwy 1 run.  Me too!

I'm down with that too, almost prefer it. I definitely want to ride this weekend but I'm having difficulty getting super psyched about a long coastal trip it since I have so much other stuff going on around it.

I'm just not free on the 4th weekend or the WSBk weekend (which you won't be either anyway). Other than that July is open for me.

GreenMachine

Damn, you're right!  Looking at the calender, for me it's now or never.  I mean, why would I ride a coastal Solstice on July 11th if I'm going to be there the next weekend?  Thanks SL.

That settles it.  I better prep the bike.  Oh, it's already to go.  Well, it could use a bath.

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

A DRAGON

well guys I'm in.  Saturday sounds outstanding to me.  I believe the green guy said we could do that 36 section after ft bragg.  I just don't think so. I'm leaning toward the usual ride. But i am retired so a little longer won't really matter. My biggest concern is riding in the dark. I wanna be back before the sun goes down. Is that to much to ask?
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

GreenMachine

I'm the same way.  But if I get caught out, riding on the bigger freeways is the trick to avoiding wildlife encounters.

SL and I accomplished that last year doing the Ft. Bragg to 36 loop and coming home up hwy 70 into Quincy.  We got started right at dawn and made Quincy about 8 PM, if I remember correctly.  We made minimal and quick stops.  Stints were as long as we could stretch them out, to minimize time lost gassing up.  Did put in for a few quickie pictures thought, then back on it.

I've done a day ride out and back from Ft Bragg to Leggett and returned the same way in a day.  Doing a lap on some of the twisties was a freakin ball, straights were the tiring part.  I remembered coming back down out of Willits on 101 thinking, if I break down, I'm screwed!  It was a hot day too.  Stops were kept to a minimum and since I was solo, all conversations took place while I was putting miles under the bike.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

See OoB media thread.

Part II will be uploading here shortly, ready by morning.

RichVee4

You guys have a great ride! I'm going to be itching for a ride when I get back but wont be in time for this outing.   The Mrs and I have a 4 day trip to Crater Lake in July I'm looking forward to. 

Guess you wont be stopping 4+ hours to bs on this trip  :)
Live long and prosper \V/

slmoto

So what's the start time on this going to be?

GreenMachine

Same as last year.

Dawn.  5:00 AM  KSU no later than 5:15 AM.

That's tradition, but it also is the best way to do it.  If you want to get back at a reasonable hour without destroying your Sunday.  No guarantees about that though. 

I'll try to see how you guys are feeling on Saturday to determine how adventurous we end up making this.  I'm good, so long as we get some coast enjoyment in and we have a safe ride.

slmoto

Yikes, that's early! I've really got to work on getting a coffee cup holder installed on my bike.  ;D

Okay, see you guys in the morning then.

GreenMachine

This is a route similar to what I've done in the past, but with the addition of the route we took a month ago.  Only, to make it more interesting to our senses, because hwy 20 is just ticking off miles as fast as possible, we do it counter-clockwise.  The interesting and fun half will be coming back inland to Narrow, Boonvile and Lower Lake, reverse from how we've ridden it already.

Proposed route, 686 miles<here>

This was our route last year for the Solstice, 750 <here>

And the original SSA Solstice ride route that Dragon was talking about, 570 <here>.

GreenMachine

Quote from: slmoto on June 19, 2015, 06:56:51 AM
Yikes, that's early! I've really got to work on getting a coffee cup holder installed on my bike.  ;D

Okay, see you guys in the morning then.
I know!  It'll be tough to switch our schedules over to Dragon's ol' man schedule of coffee brewing by dawn, but we can make adjustments for one day.  

I must be in pre-excited mode, because I woke up this morning on my own before dawn.  Half of me was saying 'get up, you're going to be late!!'  Must be an indication that as time nears, I don't want to miss you guys or make you wait on me.

And personally, I'll be more into doing 175 without the travel weight going up the tight new section then last month, where I was more just trying to keep from going off-roading.

slmoto

Quote from: GreenMachine on June 19, 2015, 07:29:43 AM
This is a route similar to what I've done in the past, but with the addition of the route we took a month ago.  Only, to make it more interesting to our senses, because hwy 20 is just ticking off miles as fast as possible, we do it counter-clockwise.  The interesting and fun half will be coming back inland to Narrow, Boonvile and Lower Lake, reverse from how we've ridden it already.

Proposed route, 686 miles<here>

This was our route last year for the Solstice, 750 <here>

And the original SSA Solstice ride route that Dragon was talking about, 570 <here>.

I like the Proposed route, 686 miles.

I like the idea of doing it somewhat in reverse, makes it feel a little new and different having just done it on the way out on the OoB trip.

What we did last year was fun but long and I think it's nice to switch it up a little to keep it interesting. The original one doesn't really interest me much at all, seems like it's just a run to prove you can reach the coast and back in a day which I think we all know we can do.

My vote is the first one "Proposed route, 686 miles"

Quote from: GreenMachine on June 19, 2015, 07:38:16 AM
I know!  It'll be tough to switch our schedules over to Dragon's ol' man schedule of coffee brewing by dawn, but we can make adjustments for one day. 

I must be in pre-excited mode, because I woke up this morning on my own before dawn.  Half of me was saying 'get up, you're going to be late!!'  Must be an indication that as time nears, I don't want to miss you guys or make you wait on me.

And personally, I'll be more into doing 175 without the travel weight going up the tight new section then last month, where I was more just trying to keep from going off-roading.

It's all good, I'll figure it out. Once I get going I'll be okay, we may need to schedule our breaks near a good coffee shop so I can grab a quick espresso here and there... ;D  Normally it might not have bothered me much but I've been working 14 hour days all week and today is my last push to get everything wrapped up before my trip next week so I'll  have to make sure I can manage to wrap up a little early today and get to bed before my usual midnight bedtime.

I too look forward to doing all this without the extra weight on the bike. I'm also looking forward to doing Leggett back to the coast, never did that direction before and should be fun doing it up and back all in one run.

GreenMachine

Exactly what I was thinking: Leggett loop too!?  I'm in!  :disco

Checked my front tire, the same as was on there from before.  Still has enough life on it on the centerline for a big trip, plenty of tread on the sides.  Weird!  :-\

And the forecast on our return: 100° as we come back through the central valley.
HOT

GreenMachine

Rise and shine campers!  It's party time!

GreenMachine

Anyone see the ocean around here?

I didn't think so.