Main Menu

Roll Call - Coast Solstice Ride 06/20/15+ (?)

Started by GreenMachine, June 15, 2015, 09:42:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

Planned dawn, as in the crack of dawn kickstands up (KSU).*  It's forecast to be hot here and mild on the coast.  No chance of rain and very little chance of clouds, other than marine layer, but still quite chilly on Saturday morning.   The earlier we get there, the more heat we can beat on the central valley portion.  This will be about a minimum 650 mile ride, more if it turns into an overnight run.  

Post up what your vote is for a one or two day ride.  Hurry, the week will go by quickly.  I am tempted to set Saturday as the day we start regardless of what is voted in.  I know one person already wants to keep with tradition and do just the one day, while another is of the mindset that there's so much that's lost by not adding the overnight.  I understand the reasoning for both.  

Traditionally this is a ride to Fort Bragg for lunch, which usually takes the quickest route there and back, highways 80 & 20.  However, there's always been a few who, once there want to take in a little more, which turns into a run up the coast to Fortuna and coming back on hwy 36.  

If a two day ride is settled on, then our overnight destination will probably be inland along hwy 101, depending on what we can find and how stupid crazy we get.   :P   As always it's left up to the group and every group is different.

RSVP** if you're planning on going.   If you do not RSVP, the ride may be canceled even if you had planned on showing up the day of the ride.  We'll depart on the ride as soon as everyone arrives and is ready, meaning, that if there are any newb riders, I will go over some of the key items they'll need to know.

North route ride.  This is a minimum C level ride pace route, so all riders welcome.  

*** Safety is paramount. ***
As always, see 2015 SSA Ride Schedule for everything that is expected of you and what you can expect.  

Hope to see you there.

* KSU dependent on when everybody is ready.
** RSVP - répondez, s'il vous plaît a.k.a. please reply.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

Do you really think you need to specify what RSVP means in the footnotes?
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

Uh-oh.  I spoke to one of the two that were going and he's out: work and personal vacation.

So it's down to whomever wants to attempt this as a 1-day ride.

dub

Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

Tahoebrian5

I wish I could make this, but alas my bike is still in the shop so I'll be camping instead.

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

GreenMachine

Take the Trials bike and ride a wheelie there and back.

See?  I'm a problem solver.  8)

slmoto

After planning out my work schedule for the rest of my week and weekend I'm back on the fence for this one. There's a good chance I'll make it if its just one day out and back.

GreenMachine

You always do that!   :D

If it's cool with you, let's keep this as a 50/50 chance thing for today and tomorrow. 

Dragon is AWOL.  You know, all this techie forum stuff.  He sounded confident he was going.  With three of us, that would only make it more likely.

And I could use this weekend to join our community garage sale.  It would be a relief to get rid of some of the stuff I have that I don't need anymore.  Although, I'm not sure if it's just Saturday or both days.  If both days, then I'm 99% in.

slmoto

Quote from: GreenMachine on June 17, 2015, 11:37:35 AM
You always do that!   :D

If it's cool with you, let's keep this as a 50/50 chance thing for today and tomorrow. 

Dragon is AWOL.  You know, all this techie forum stuff.  He sounded confident he was going.  With three of us, that would only make it more likely.

And I could use this weekend to join our community garage sale.  It would be a relief to get rid of some of the stuff I have that I don't need anymore.  Although, I'm not sure if it's just Saturday or both days.  If both days, then I'm 99% in.

Some of the supplies I needed to work this weekend are not going to arrive in time so I started looking for another ride to do and saw that I was going to end up taking half the day or more to ride anyway so might as well go on this one.

I'm good either way, if it happens that's cool if not I'll just do a shorter ride and get some other things done this weekend. I'd almost prefer the later anyway.

GreenMachine

We're of the same thinking.  The problem with our thinking though is that with this being the longest daylight day of the year, if we ride weeks or months later when it's more convenient, we'll be kicking ourselves over it.  "Why didn't we do this earlier when the days were longer???"  No sense in doing it when you end up coming back after dark.

And thus, if we can sacrifice now we'll be thanking ourselves later for making the decision that was right for the time.  Truckee is forecast to be 47* when we go through, so another chilly ride for a little while.

GreenMachine

I'm for doing Leggett, Fortuna, Red Bluff, and Quincy via hwy 70.   And I'd be up for doing something similar to the OoB to get to Fort Bragg as well.  I know you and I could bomb that sucker and do that route.  But I'm not sure Dragon could ride for the continuous stints that we're accustomed to.  I'll have to ask him, since he's probably not been on the forum for weeks.

BTW, you're going to sleep well on your camping trip.  Something tells me that.

slmoto

Quote from: GreenMachine on June 17, 2015, 01:48:26 PM
I'm for doing Leggett, Fortuna, Red Bluff, and Quincy via hwy 70.   And I'd be up for doing something similar to the OoB to get to Fort Bragg as well.  I know you and I could bomb that sucker and do that route.  But I'm not sure Dragon could ride for the continuous stints that we're accustomed to.  I'll have to ask him, since he's probably not been on the forum for weeks.

BTW, you're going to sleep well on your camping trip.  Something tells me that.

That all sounds fun, it's the ride to the fun sections that I'm not looking forward to. I'm good either way, I get what you are saying but having just done OorB and having done this ride last year I don't really thing I'll be kicking myself too much if the ride ended up not happening.  I'm down with letting Dragon be the deciding factor.

I liked the way we got to Fort Bragg on the OorB ride more than the route we took last year. 253 and the end of 128 near the coast were beautiful and a lot of fun.

GreenMachine

Maybe, I'm thinking, we take that route to the coast, then buzz up to Ft. Bragg for lunch to get our ahhhhh-the-coast in, do a loop out to Leggett and back, down to Ft. Bragg, up Willits (which you'll like better going up), then home via hwy 49 from Marysville.

Understandably, you're from the Bay Area, so the ocean isn't really as cool to be around as for us landlocked individuals who don't get much time there.  The roads just become the excuse to ride there.

GreenMachine

Or we lobby RV to join us in the next couple of weeks when he's back and do something short this weekend instead.  Sounds like he's itching for another hwy 1 run.  Me too!