Main Menu

OoB II Day 1 departure time

Started by GreenMachine, May 18, 2015, 10:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

Choose one.  Poll is for OoB riders only please.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Tahoebrian5

I voted for 7:30 to 8. Reasons is even if we do 12 hours it'll still be light at 8pm. Might be a bit chilly in the am, so seems like a good compromise
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

GreenMachine

Waiting for Mel to give some feedback on the 'might be a bit chilly' comment.  :hiding
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RichVee4

I will be up at 6am regardless so by 7:30 - 8 will be more than ready to start our ride.   The Mrs has heated gloves so temp is not an issue. 
Live long and prosper \V/

dub

7:30 sounds ok to me. I voted for 6:30 to 7:30 because I think 7:30 should be the latest we leave.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

slmoto

7:30 would be my ideal choice.

I voted 7:30-8 because I didn't really want to leave before 7am and the way the choices were split I leaned to the later.

GreenMachine

Looks like the fair compromise is to start at 7:30 AM.  I'm planning on being there early so we can cover who is doing what, how to stop the group if you need us to stop and contingency and sight seeing/photo-op plans.  I always do a group photo too. 

I'll leave it open however to the faster cruisers in our group.  If you want to hang at Starbucks for an extra 20 minutes or so after we leave, that's fine with me.  I don't plan of speeding and everyone knows my pace. Our route is planned and will not be deviated from.  Just catch up at your leisure.  I'll be sticking to my more conservative pace, as it has proven to be a winning formula for avoiding performance awards.  And with a group of eight riders, we're going to stick out like a sore thumb.  If we piss someone off, we'll be easy to spot and get caught.  It'll be a lot of money lost for going a little bit faster.  Thus, if you want to rider faster on the opening hwy 80 leg, I'm not your mother and I'm not going to stop you.

dub

I'm going to meet you guys in Truckee. I'll be waiting on the hwy 89 to I-80 west on ramp. Right here, at 8:00. Someone just jump off the freeway, get me, and then we'll catch back up.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

slmoto

Sounds good, see you guys at Starbucks!

GreenMachine

Quote from: dub on May 19, 2015, 10:38:25 PM
I'm going to meet you guys in Truckee. I'll be waiting on the hwy 89 to I-80 west on ramp. Right here, at 8:00. Someone just jump off the freeway, get me, and then we'll catch back up.
Will do.

Tahoebrian5

I vote for at least a 10mph pace over the posted limit. My reasons are thus..any slower and we will have a lot of cars passing us. I don't like cars coming up behind me becuase this puts situational control into their hands. Many of us have radar and 10mph is usually overlooked anyway. Thoughts?
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

slmoto

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on May 20, 2015, 06:34:01 AM
I vote for at least a 10mph pace over the posted limit. My reasons are thus..any slower and we will have a lot of cars passing us. I don't like cars coming up behind me becuase this puts situational control into their hands. Many of us have radar and 10mph is usually overlooked anyway. Thoughts?

Fine with me. I don't have radar and ride at least 10 over when I'm on my own.

For the same reasons you just mentioned, I usually just get into the fast lane and do what the cars around me are doing, moving over to let the big speeders go when necessary but i understand this tactic could be difficult in a group situation.

GreenMachine

I'm with you on the flow of traffic pace, that's not news nor change from my typical ride pace.  My thinking is to stick with what we've always done and avoid painting a bulls-eye on our group.

There's always going to be speeders and doing their speeds or faster always makes me uncomfortable.  And honestly it wears me out mentally, where I'm always looking over my shoulder or up in the air for the inevitable air patrol or red light.

When considering a group of eight bikes having to navigate slower holiday traffic on two lanes, if we're the fast bunch, it will be all too easy for us to attract unwanted attention.  One enforcement stop would be a $2,400 payday (~$300 * 8 ) for the person who can pull it off. Monthly quota met. 

I'll be happy to sweep and keep my beer & frills money.  :P