Main Menu

OoB II Day 1 route

Started by GreenMachine, May 18, 2015, 10:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tahoebrian5

Ok,I retracted my vote. I really don't know the area very well. I'm just going to follow whatever is decided on. If there is two groups I'll take the longer route as long as there are no goat roads
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

dub

I don't remember Mattole Rd (Lost Coast) being that bad. But then again I have a much higher tolerance for bad pavement than you guys. I did it with a large SCR group, lots of sportbikes, and I don't remember anyone complaining. But it may be too goaty for you guys. Plus is adds length and distance to an already long day. I probably shouldn't have suggested it.

I voted for hwy 20 to Clear Lake, then jog south to hit 175, 253, 128. I think that route may be the best compromise between a ton of twistys, good pavement, and a direct route for this group.
I also voted for hwy 20 straight through as my second choice. I have actually never done that, it would be fine with me. I know GM doesn't want to because it's the Solstice Ride route; but I won't be on the Solstice Ride so I don't care.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

dub

Quote from: RichVee4 on May 19, 2015, 06:56:03 AMWait, we get a second vote?  I should probably let Monica pick one too  :)   

Yeah, we are missing her voice. What does she have to say about all this?

RichVee4

Quote from: dub on May 19, 2015, 10:34:34 AM
Quote from: RichVee4 on May 19, 2015, 06:56:03 AMWait, we get a second vote?  I should probably let Monica pick one too  :)  

Yeah, we are missing her voice. What does she have to say about all this?

Conversation usually goes like "have you guys decided how we are getting there yet??"   I did mention Lost Coast, we did that two years ago, and that got a clear veto.  

We looked at the map and she didn't have any objections to the 175, 253 Navarro route.
Live long and prosper \V/

GreenMachine

Without objection, let's do the one in the middle, the 461 mile day 1, through South Clear Lake, 175, Boonville, Navarro, hwy 1.  We have 2 votes for the longer ride, 3 votes for the slightly shorter ride and with Monica's verbal vote from Rich, that's 4 votes.  I think that's probably the best choice being in the middle as well.

I'm good with that.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

slmoto

Sounds good to me, can't wait!

GreenMachine

:D

Is that a BIG thumbs up?  JC, it took my 60 Mbps connection half a minute to download. 
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RichVee4

Sweet...  Looking forward to this.  Three days of great roads and a great group.

The pace of traffic is generally about 10 over so that works well with me.

First stop Gold Run potty break :)

GreenMachine

I'll be passing these out Saturday morning if need be.

If my calculations are correct, the first planned stop should be Boonville.

:evil1

RichVee4

Nice, have fun with that..   Thinking about it we will turn off before Gold Run so have to think of another option.  Summit may be to early.   

flamecrow

Make sure when you send the PM for cell#'s to include the google route for Day 1. This will be my first time on a majority of those roads so I'd like to put it into my phone or print it out ;D

Tahoebrian5

I received the message with the routes but it's not loading correctly on the phone. Day 1 is showing we are going north on 395 :/. Is there anyway to get these saved properly on an iPhone?
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

dub

Yeah, routes on google maps don't really work on iPhone. When I click on the link in the PM is just says it can't find a route. You'll just have to print out a map. Or, if you are really worried about it, there are free GPS apps that let you import a .gpx file which I posted in the main thread.

GreenMachine

Most of the route is known clearly marked highway, ones we've ridden before.  I'm going to do it the old fashioned way with the GPS I'm taking along and plug in the exact waypoints (turns usually) I want and let the stupid GPS figure it out from there.  Besides, I'm confident Dub's unit will keeps us on course...and SL has ridden some of this stuff on his bicycle. 

If you somehow get separated, just get to a main one of the places were we saw you last and we'll come back for you. If that doesn't work.  Head forward and cut us off at the next big town.  Text us to let us know your intention one way or the other.