Main Menu

OoB II Day 1 route

Started by GreenMachine, May 18, 2015, 10:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

Route poll for OoB riders only please.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Tahoebrian5

I choose the longer route, may regret it at 11.5 hours in, but sure sounds fun right now.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

RichVee4

Classic route paralysis, too many options.

Whats worked well for me and the Mrs on multi day trips is to ride about 9 hrs a day, approx 8am to 5pm.  Nice getting into the destination and having an hour or two to relax and explore the area and pick a place to eat.  Also, helps pace yourself so your not too tired for the next day.

In that light I picked hwy 20 to Fort Bragg then N to Arcata.   I am not opposed to the routes around Clear Lake just thinking it may be a bit much for us for one day.   Maybe save them for a different trip with overnight in Fort Bragg, and stop at Lost Coast Brewery!

Live long and prosper \V/

GreenMachine

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on May 19, 2015, 05:40:45 AM
I choose the longer route, may regret it at 11.5 hours in, but sure sounds fun right now.
You can vote for two.  I see someone didn't do that.  Must have been you.  Do you have a second option? 

We'll put you with Jerome.  You two can leave at 11 AM, doing the long route.   :P
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

Quote from: RichVee4 on May 19, 2015, 06:21:19 AM
Classic route paralysis, too many options.

Whats worked well for me and the Mrs on multi day trips is to ride about 9 hrs a day, approx 8am to 5pm.  Nice getting into the destination and having an hour or two to relax and explore the area and pick a place to eat.  Also, helps pace yourself so your not too tired for the next day.

In that light I picked hwy 20 to Fort Bragg then N to Arcata.   I am not opposed to the routes around Clear Lake just thinking it may be a bit much for us for one day.   Maybe save them for a different trip with overnight in Fort Bragg, and stop at Lost Coast Brewery!

Rich, I think the likelihood of us hitting Lost Coast Brewery in Eureka are about 100 - 101%.   We might even hit it twice.  Although, I understand there's another micro-brewer in that area.  I'd like to try some new things as much as possible.

Tahoebrian5

I'm not really opposed to any of the options. Would be nice if we stayed as a group. Although we might get served faster at the breweries in smaller parties

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

GreenMachine

Fun?  Maybe the distance and the potential for a ton of twisties, but you'd really like to take your new BMW on the Lost Coast suspension, rattle and torture fest for two hours of it?  If you can make it through without chipping your paint or cracking your plastics, I'll buy your beer when you get to Arcata.   ;D

RichVee4

Correction the brewery in Fort Bragg is North Coast, Lost Coast being in Eureka.  We did an overnight to Fort Bragg and ate at North Coast Brewery and had a great time, just putting it out there as an option if we happen to be in the area about lunch.

Wait, we get a second vote?  I should probably let Monica pick one too  :)  

GreenMachine

North Coast Brewery for lunch?   :thumbup  Albeit, a late late lunch given the routes getting the most votes.

RichVee4

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on May 19, 2015, 06:43:48 AM
Would be nice if we stayed as a group.

I second that.  IMO, We should all at least start at the same time and ride majority of the route together.  Spitting up usually means one group will be waiting for the others or worrying about why someone is late.

RichVee4

The poll only lets you vote once??  I think one vote is enough anyway, adding a second choice will make it more confusing.

Tahoebrian5

Quote from: GreenMachine on May 19, 2015, 06:48:49 AM
Fun?  Maybe the distance and the potential for a ton of twisties, but you'd really like to take your new BMW on the Lost Coast suspension, rattle and torture fest for two hours of it?  If you can make it through without chipping your paint or cracking your plastics, I'll buy your beer when you get to Arcata.   ;D

Whoa... This is not a goat road is it? I'm not familiar with the route at al

Tahoebrian5

Ok, I justlooked up the lost coast. Definitely going to want to skip that.

slmoto

Quote from: GreenMachine on May 19, 2015, 06:38:42 AM
Rich, I think the likelihood of us hitting Lost Coast Brewery in Eureka are about 100 - 101%.   We might even hit it twice.  Although, I understand there's another micro-brewer in that area.  I'd like to try some new things as much as possible.

If it's breweries you want maybe it'd be appropriate for me to chime in!

There are a number of good breweries in and around Arcata and a few along the way.

North Coast as you guys already know, Anderson Valley Brewery is in Boonville if we end up on that route (unfortunately they don't have food, only a tap room as this would have been a great place for lunch)

In and around Arcata you've got the following:
Eel River (Fortuna)
Lost Coast (Eureka)
Redwood Curtain (Arcata) probably the best beer in the area but tasting room only, no food
Mad River (Blue Lake)
Six Rivers (McKinleyville) great food and atmosphere but N of Arcata so probably not a good lunch spot for on the way there.

GreenMachine

SL, your input will be indispensable!

TB5, you can change your vote(s).